·
Registered
877 Posts
Over priced.

Reactions: Dr_R

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
I've polished many a turd...but not that one. It's not retro or vintage,...it's just overpriced junk.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Yikes. You can buy an old xs400 or SR500 for less than a grand, and those engines are bulletproof...Clean out and possibly rejet the carbs, spend <$150 on a mild rebuild (gaskets&seals, cylinder hone and rings, and a new cam chain) and have a fantastic motorcycle.

That being said, Triumph is selling the hell out of those new bonnies, so I can see why yamaha wants a piece of the market. There are still plenty of people who are too lazy to buy and work on a proper vintage bike but still want the look.

Reactions: Dr_R

·
Registered
74 Posts
Looks like the success of the fz09 is going to their heads at Yamaha corporation. And this pricing indicates that future 2015 fz09 is going $$$, then the mt07 is going to be $$$. Looks like Yamaha wants to follow Honda's role of high $$$ for junk bikes and end up collecting dust at dealers lots.

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
That bike was an XS400 back in the day (late 70's to early 80's), and was good for not much of anything other than cheap schoolboy transportation. We bought the RD350 - RD400 instead. They were cheap racers. If that bike sells, then people are not very bright.

RD400 Daytona Special - a crazy fun bike:

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
Looks like the success of the fz09 is going to their heads at Yamaha corporation. And this pricing indicates that future 2015 fz09 is going $$$, then the mt07 is going to be $$$. Looks like Yamaha wants to follow Honda's role of high $$$ for junk bikes and end up collecting dust at dealers lots.
I don't get it? I do get Honda bringing back the old CB1K since the bike was an pioneer. But that turn... still don't get it! If Yamaha want to bring back an old school bike that eveyone will line up to buy (including me), bring back the RZ350 or unfaired RD-350!

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
I don't get it? I do get Honda bringing back the old CB1K since the bike was an pioneer. But that turn... still don't get it! If Yamaha want to bring back an old school bike that eveyone will line up to buy (including me), bring back the RZ350 or unfaired RD-350!
I'd buy one too...but no two stroke will pass EPA regs anymore.

Reactions: marthy

·
Registered
181 Posts
I really enjoyed my Suzuki TU 250x. Great starter bike, good bike to buzz around town. 2 up, no go. Highway, not so good. Super slab, no go. Hence the move to the FZ-09.

There's a really active and vibrant Tu250 community just like here. Lots of good people, just like here. They just like a different style of bike and riding. I get on mine now after riding the FZ for 1k miles and when I twist the throttle I keep waiting, and waiting, and waiting........ Not saying that they're bad bikes or no fun. Lots of after market stuff going on, people doing fun tours etc.

But they sell for just south of $4k new and they do hold value pretty well. I really like the styling of as a throwback. But its just too small in the power plant and under sprung for 2 up or much more than buzzing around town.

But these type of bikes are getting people back into riding. I don't know how many 50 year olds are going to want a kick start only bike, even if the compression is low and it kicks over pretty easily though.....

JW

·
Registered
883 Posts
I really enjoyed my Suzuki TU 250x. Great starter bike, good bike to buzz around town. 2 up, no go. Highway, not so good. Super slab, no go. Hence the move to the FZ-09.

There's a really active and vibrant Tu250 community just like here. Lots of good people, just like here. They just like a different style of bike and riding. I get on mine now after riding the FZ for 1k miles and when I twist the throttle I keep waiting, and waiting, and waiting........ Not saying that they're bad bikes or no fun. Lots of after market stuff going on, people doing fun tours etc.

But they sell for just south of $4k new and they do hold value pretty well. I really like the styling of as a throwback. But its just too small in the power plant and under sprung for 2 up or much more than buzzing around town.

But these type of bikes are getting people back into riding. I don't know how many 50 year olds are going to want a kick start only bike, even if the compression is low and it kicks over pretty easily though.....

JW
The TU250X is a fine motorcycle. I have learned to appreciate it perhaps more since owning an FZ-09 than before. You're right; there are a few things it doesn't do as well as I want, such as highway riding. So the TU isn't about power and speed, but about another type of riding that I also enjoy. Buzzing around town, as you mentioned, is near the top of the TU's strengths.

·
Registered
962 Posts
I had a red 78 SR500 for a while that was fun (I bought its used, fixed it up and resold it). A few months ago I heard that Yamaha was going to make a current SR that was under 500cc and I thought it was going to be a 2015 WR450R, not a 1982 SR... If they want to go retro - I'd like my FZ-09 engine packaged like my 1990 XTZ750.

·
Registered
962 Posts
That bike was an XS400 back in the day (late 70's to early 80's), and was good for not much of anything other than cheap schoolboy transportation. We bought the RD350 - RD400 instead. They were cheap racers. If that bike sells, then people are not very bright.

RD400 Daytona Special - a crazy fun bike:

Actually it was the SR500 - but I get your point. Why not use the direct injected 2 stroke technology Yamaha's been using on it's marine engines and bring back the RZ, or package the WR450 engine into an SR...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts