Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
So, being that we got another stimulus and I got my tax refund at the same time I convinced the girlfriend to let me spend some on upgrading even though we're trying to save for a house.
Marry that girl! ;)

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Oh she's a keeper. She also reads the forum, so I'm pretty sure she's gonna see this. 😂

I bought a scale to weigh myself with gear on. I think the scale is broken and I want my money back.....those numbers can't be right.

·
Registered
2019 Yamaha MT 10
705 Posts
I'm not sure I qualify but I'll give you my .02.....
I didn't notice any huge difference when I switched out my stock rear shock for the k-tech razor-r I got here. It is certainly better, but not as much as I was lead to believe it would be. I'd say if you have to 'cut' budget somewhere then I'd buy the cheaper shock to afford better front components.

I have GP cartridges & springs waiting to be installed, so I can't really comment on cartridge changes as I've yet to experience that, my hope is that it is a much more significant difference than the rear shock.

You might also consider spending your money on training - improving your self is likely to have a bigger impact than better equipment unless you're already a very skilled rider. I hear really good things about the Yamaha champions riding school, and one of their classes will be my next spend.
I found the same thing. It turned out that for me it was hard to even set up the rear until the cartridges were installed. It was hard to tell where the harshness was coming from. A better rider would probably not have that problem. On 2 different bikes I've found the same thing. It also takes a week or 2 to get used to how good the bike actually becomes. Then you begin to feel like you've became a way better rider than before. I thought the whole process was was way cool. I rented a 2017 FZ09 for a weekend about 3 months after having been on my bike with new suspension and that's when I totally realized how much of an improvement it was.

·
Registered
2019 Yamaha MT 10
705 Posts
Oh she's a keeper. She also reads the forum, so I'm pretty sure she's gonna see this. 😂

I bought a scale to weigh myself with gear on. I think the scale is broken and I want my money back.....those numbers can't be right.
I got a keeper myself. she bought me a Ducati Scrambler for Christmas in 2016. Then she was cool with it when I traded it in on a Yamaha XSR900 a year later. Now she's making the payments on my MT 10.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Got andreani with ohlins springs at the front and ya535 on the back.
Bought both of Ebay, £800 for the lot.
To be honest, you'll never spend better money on your bike than on the suspension.
200hp is no use if you can't lay it down on the road.

·
Registered
5,286 Posts
Good to hear a positive review on the Andreanis, I'm waiting to hear back about what they recommend for street spring rate and if they're one model for all years. I've seen the bitubo and never looked into them, maybe something I should do.

I'd love to get a double clicker and I've missed out on a few over the past year due to all my uncertainty and procrastinating, if anyone has one they want to get rid of PM me!

I'm hoping even a basic rear shock upgrade will give me a little more confidence with cornering, the odd pogo effect tends to make me grip tighter with my hands and that's a no no. I have my first track day next month and the group is full of coaches that attended champ school.

Someone on ebay has a full GP setup for 1800 and it's the right rates for me I'm pretty sure, but I can't justify that. Yamaha champ school is on my list, especially since they're running road atlanta now, but it's expensive. Maybe next year!

Keep the suggestions coming, I know we have lots of combos and options!
I was your weight and have .88 springs. I use 4 turns of preload to get 43mm sag. You could go to .9 springs.
I went the cheap way and lost 10kg's.

·
Registered
51 Posts
MT09 has shit suspension, even SP needs to be modified (to your mass and maybe diftrent spring clip, like me).
To be honest i dont understand how most of the people go to ex. first on this bike.
I always ride with zip ties on fork and shock, and i ride hard.
Friendly advice, dont tell your wife/gf how much it costs :p

·
Registered
137 Posts
So, being that we got another stimulus and I got my tax refund at the same time I convinced the girlfriend to let me spend some on upgrading even though we're trying to save for a house.
The ultimate upgrade is having your own driveway, garage and house. Don't p*** it away on things that'll only make you happy for ten minutes.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
We've got a pretty nice down payment saved up now so we're not super worried about using the stimulus on nice things, but you're right, the Garage and driveway are priorities, the house is all for her.

@Niner, I was gonna text you and make sure I wasn't just remembering nonsense before I said I knew you, the years have been hard on the old brain. 😂

I have to weight myself in gear, I think I'm much heavier than I was last year, call it the COVID 20

·
Registered
319 Posts
MT09 has shit suspension, even SP needs to be modified (to your mass and maybe diftrent spring clip, like me).

I took my Ohlins-equipped 2020 SP for a minor tweak to the suspension, adjusted to my weight and riding style (if you can call it style!) quite soon after I bought it back in September. It was close, ex-factory, but the 30-minute $30 tweak brought it to a very satisfactory situation. As best I can recall, not quite up to the level of plushness of my professionally-modified Tracer 900 GT, with new K-TECH components all round (@ a very well-spent $2100), but more than just acceptable.

Reactions: Darf

·
Registered
299 Posts
Talk to fast bike industries in NC, they know their stuff and can get you set up right. If you cheap out now you'll end up upgrading again later.
Stoltec and Traxxion are both great go tos as well though!

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Spring rates are labeled by length/diameter/spring rate correct?

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Picked up a Penske double clicker for a good price sprung in my weight, and I figure by the time I get that on and set up I'll have made up my mind about which way I want to go with the front end.....now I'm thinking about brakes upgrades and new tires (there are some extra wheels up on ebay now), that cruise control unit would be nice for long trips too. Hmmmm...not to mention my light bar isn't exactly where I wanted to mount it. I guess the warm weather and a little excitement has thawed my laziness....

·
Registered
923 Posts
I can’t tell you how wonderful the cruise control is. You’ll have to try mine when we go to the track soon.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Ordered this on Saturday morning, got it this afternoon. It doesn't help the guy was only a few hours away but man, this is how you sell something on ebay, penske stickers, original manual, a card with the settings traxxion used and the force vs velocity graph. If the guy is on here and sees this, I am extremely happy.

I just wish I would have taken the bike apart last night so I could get this in quicker.

21 - 40 of 45 Posts