Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, being that we got another stimulus and I got my tax refund at the same time I convinced the girlfriend to let me spend some on upgrading even though we're trying to save for a house.

I have about $1000 to spend, but I am not sure which route to go. I could go all out on a nice rear shock and leave the front end alone, or I could get springs and a revalve kit and an intermediate shock. Or get the low end Ktech shock and Andreani cartridges, there's a seller on Ebay with them for $500, but they're only listed as 13-17, I'm not sure if the years are different.

I'm about 180-190 with gear and I plan on getting into some track days moving ahead. I know very little about suspension and have been trying to learn through the Dave Moss videos. Any input is welcome! Edit: I have an 18 model with a gpr v4 stabilizer.

·
Registered
5,286 Posts
I can recommend the Andreanis at the price. Bitubo are about the same money, but I don't know about availability where you are.
I'd also try and get a good quality shock, even 2nd hand and throw some bucks at an internal refresh.

Reactions: Darf

·
Registered
921 Posts
We're the same weight-ish in gear, and I really REALLY liked how the bike rides now with the Penske double clicker shock. I haven't ridden on a track before, but on the street it really made me feel more connected. During back to back turns, the back end no longer quickly unloads and bucks which makes it feel way more solid.

I'm curious to see what others will recommend.

·
Registered
2016 xsr 900
755 Posts
I'm not sure I qualify but I'll give you my .02.....
I didn't notice any huge difference when I switched out my stock rear shock for the k-tech razor-r I got here. It is certainly better, but not as much as I was lead to believe it would be. I'd say if you have to 'cut' budget somewhere then I'd buy the cheaper shock to afford better front components.

I have GP cartridges & springs waiting to be installed, so I can't really comment on cartridge changes as I've yet to experience that, my hope is that it is a much more significant difference than the rear shock.

You might also consider spending your money on training - improving your self is likely to have a bigger impact than better equipment unless you're already a very skilled rider. I hear really good things about the Yamaha champions riding school, and one of their classes will be my next spend.

Reactions: Darf

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good to hear a positive review on the Andreanis, I'm waiting to hear back about what they recommend for street spring rate and if they're one model for all years. I've seen the bitubo and never looked into them, maybe something I should do.

I'd love to get a double clicker and I've missed out on a few over the past year due to all my uncertainty and procrastinating, if anyone has one they want to get rid of PM me!

I'm hoping even a basic rear shock upgrade will give me a little more confidence with cornering, the odd pogo effect tends to make me grip tighter with my hands and that's a no no. I have my first track day next month and the group is full of coaches that attended champ school.

Someone on ebay has a full GP setup for 1800 and it's the right rates for me I'm pretty sure, but I can't justify that. Yamaha champ school is on my list, especially since they're running road atlanta now, but it's expensive. Maybe next year!

Keep the suggestions coming, I know we have lots of combos and options!

·
Registered
8 Posts
So, being that we got another stimulus and I got my tax refund at the same time I convinced the girlfriend to let me spend some on upgrading even though we're trying to save for a house.

I have about $1000 to spend, but I am not sure which route to go. I could go all out on a nice rear shock and leave the front end alone, or I could get springs and a revalve kit and an intermediate shock. Or get the low end Ktech shock and Andreani cartridges, there's a seller on Ebay with them for $500, but they're only listed as 13-17, I'm not sure if the years are different.

I'm about 180-190 with gear and I plan on getting into some track days moving ahead. I know very little about suspension and have been trying to learn through the Dave Moss videos. Any input is welcome! Edit: I have an 18 model with a gpr v4 stabilizer.
Hello from Montana. I have a Penske 8983 from my 2014 FZ 09. $650. Less than 3,000 miles. I traded the FZ for a Zero. The Penske is sprung for 150 lb rider so you will want a stiffer spring. Race Tech has a spring rate search you can access to figure out your rate. High quality springs go for about $135. I upgraded my forks with a Stoltec Moto kit. Nick provides great service and guidance.

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
I'm a big fan of stoltec and penske.
His fork piston kits are incredible value for money.
And the penske has ride height adjustment that you can change in situ, preload that is easy enough to adjust in situ as well without needing a hydraulic adjuster.

I had his FPK and penske double clicker on my 14.
The forks were almost as good as the nix 30s that i now have in my 17.
The penske double clicker was easier to adjust than the TFX triple clicker i now have on my 17. The TFX is much cheaper though (no ride height adjustment) Probably also why it is now bronze not black.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hello from Montana. I have a Penske 8983 from my 2014 FZ 09. $650. Less than 3,000 miles. I traded the FZ for a Zero. The Penske is sprung for 150 lb rider so you will want a stiffer spring. Race Tech has a spring rate search you can access to figure out your rate. High quality springs go for about $135. I upgraded my forks with a Stoltec Moto kit. Nick provides great service and guidance.
I may very well go this route, let me do a little shopping and research and I'll send you a pm. I probably will reach out to Nick, I've heard only good things and he seems like cool guy all around. I see the FPK kit and maybe front springs can change the entire front too.

I like to tinker so even if I don't get the full benefits of it, I still have a good time taking things apart and putting it back together.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I may very well go this route, let me do a little shopping and research and I'll send you a pm. I probably will reach out to Nick, I've heard only good things and he seems like cool guy all around. I see the FPK kit and maybe front springs can change the entire front too.

I like to tinker so even if I don't get the full benefits of it, I still have a good time taking things apart and putting it back together.
Nick's price on springs is $98. I suggest you consult with Nick on appropriate spring rate. FYI: he did a lot of the development work on upgrades for the FZ.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I actually just emailed them about half an hour ago, I remember reading the Revzilla article that talked about it!

·
Registered
881 Posts
I've said it before, Nick's valve kit is amazing and not hard to do, the instructions are great. I have never been sorry I took a cheaper route.

·
Premium Member
2,744 Posts
Dave, reach out to Nick and if you decide to buy a Penske shock and then get it from him. He arranges some specialized valving that's way better than the standard stack.
When I purchased my Penske Nick was in spawning mode and on sabbatical so mine came with generic valving through a race shop. After a Penske/Stoltec revalve I had a new bike!

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Let me tell you, when a guy answers you at 8pm on a Wednesday night, that's customer service. I have to buy a scale and see if I put on a bunch of weight since I moved and get back to him tomorrow. I knew he was the best when it came to this, but I am beyond impressed.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Dave, reach out to Nick and if you decide to buy a Penske shock and then get it from him. He arranges some specialized valving that's way better than the standard stack.
When I purchased my Penske Nick was in spawning mode and on sabbatical so mine came with generic valving through a race shop. After a Penske/Stoltec revalve I had a new bike!
Hi Shamrock, we must have dealt with him about the same time. That was my experience too.

·
Registered
403 Posts
I don't know if that is correct as Penske's are built to order, they don't have "generic valving".
You cant buy them off-the-shelf through Revzilla like a K-Tech or Ohlins, a specific shim stack configure order has to be provided (like from Stoltec or Traxxion) to Penske and then they build them individually to suit that specific order.

·
Premium Member
2,744 Posts
That seems logical and it probably worked that way for me but my Penske wasn't all that great from the race shop. Several years later I spoke with Nick, I sent my shock to Penske, Nick contacted them about what to do and when it came back I got a chubby on my first ride. The difference was amazing!
Nick also put me onto the proper springs for both ends.
In defense of the race shop I had some health issues that created a 25 lb weight loss but even at 190lbs the shock never felt planted when running hard on a bumpy road.

·
Registered
403 Posts
That seems logical and it probably worked that way for me but my Penske wasn't all that great from the race shop. Several years later I spoke with Nick, I sent my shock to Penske, Nick contacted them about what to do and when it came back I got a chubby on my first ride. The difference was amazing!
Nick also put me onto the proper springs for both ends.
In defense of the race shop I had some health issues that created a 25 lb weight loss but even at 190lbs the shock never felt planted when running hard on a bumpy road.
I have had several Penske's from Traxxion Dynamics and my buddy has one from Nick, they are spectacular shocks! (y)

1 - 20 of 45 Posts