Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I found a dealer that let me test ride a 2013 Ninja that they had for sale. Here are my impressions-
Positives
(1) the bike was light and easy to move and back up
(2) it looked nice

The rest
(1) the steering was incredibly loose. I didn't want to turn the bike. It responded like no bike I have been on, like the front of the bike was nearly detached from the rest of the bike.
(2) super buzzy at most seeds
(3) lot of heat from the bike on your legs
(4) you had to ride the piss out of it for it to do anything. I was at 9k most of the time.
(5) it made me appreciate how incredible the FZ-09 is to ride in every respect

Spyder
(1) absolutely ridiculous....don't know how they sell these ..hah

Has anyone been on a bike better than our bike? It's hard to believe that one would exist :)

Reactions: bennyblanco

·
Registered
957 Posts
I found a dealer that let me test ride a 2013 Ninja that they had for sale. Here are my impressions-
Positives
(2) it looked nice

The rest
(1) the steering was incredibly loose. I didn't want to turn the bike. It responded like no bike I have been on, like the front of the bike was nearly detached from the rest of the bike.
(2) super buzzy at most speeds
(4) you had to ride the pisd out of it for it to do anything. I was at 9k most of the time.
(5) it made me appreciate how incredible the FZ-09 is to ride in every respevt

Spyde

Has anyone been on a bike better than our bike? It's hard to believe that one would exist :)
In regards to having to ride the piss out of it for it to do anything: 600 Supersports are no different. They are tuned so that you HAVE to keep them at high RPM or else they're just not making usable power. The buzziness is common with small displacement engines from what I hear. That being said, a bike you HAVE to rev the piss out of to make usable power is just what you need. You've mentioned in past threads that you keep the RPMs on your bike low at all times. Too low, in fact. As in to the point where reliability will eventually suffer due to carbon buildup and poor engine break-in. Using a smaller bike of less power that needs to rev will be able to safely get you over that mental hump keeping you revving the engine higher.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
maybe a try a cbr300. it's a single, so it won't buzz so much as thump. you'll still need to rev the snot out of it to really get anywhere fast.

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
What WZ said.
Bike motors need to rev. Tractor motors do not.
They used to make cbr250s back in the 90s that were THE learner bike to have. 4cylinder 4 stroke 250cc that revved to 18,000 rpm. And they are still around and haven't exploded, even from years of abuse by learner riders all over Aus. All the jap manufacturers had a version, cbr250, gsxr250, fzr250, zxr250. And most had a naked version as well, hornet 250, zeal 250, balius 250. Not sure about the Suzuki version.

You need to learn to rev a motor, whether it's a small bike or your fz, learn to let the motor sing. Or a glam metal high pitched scream as the case may be.

·
Registered
978 Posts
That may be a part of the appeal of the john deere motors in harleys.
I love fast bikes but 90 percent of time I am just cursing on them so a low relaxed vibration free ride is must more relaxed.

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
Positives
(2) it looked nice

The rest
(2) super buzzy at most seeds
(4) you had to ride the piss out of it for it to do anything. I was at 9k most of the time.
(5) it made me appreciate how incredible the FZ-09 is to ride in every respect

Spyder

I didn't figure you would be impressed with the 300..and after spending time on the FZ, its going to be pretty hard for any bike to make an impression on you.

Reactions: Steve101 and beck

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
didnt understand the logic here either for wanting a smaller bike - if you're happy with the 09 - use that cash and mod it out. Sounds like you have limited amount of time to spend on a ride - might as well spend it on one that you enjoy riding.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Spyder

)

Mines bad to the bone. Thought about selling it after I got the ef zed since I didn't ride it for awhile... And then I got back on it for a few joy rides. Love it!

I love being able to ring its neck especially around curves and never have to wonder if the tires will stick. Sometimes when I want a safer, carefree ride its the perfect vehicle.

To me its ridiculous and I love it for that. It's unlike anything you will ever drive.

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
Mines bad to the bone. Thought about selling it after I got the ef zed since I didn't ride it for awhile... And then I got back on it for a few joy rides. Love it!

I love being able to ring its neck especially around curves and never have to wonder if the tires will stick. Sometimes when I want a safer, carefree ride its the perfect vehicle.

To me its ridiculous and I love it for that. It's unlike anything you will ever drive.
You obviously haven't seen (or ridden) the New RED Polaris Slingshot..............;)

·
Registered
209 Posts
You obviously haven't seen (or ridden) the New RED Polaris Slingshot..............;)
Sure I have. Although it has 3 wheels its still very different from the spyder. For one you sit in the slingshot and drive it and the spyder you sit on it and ride it.

The spyder is like a snow machine with wheels. Or half sport car, half super bike. Business in the front, party in the back.

But I don't want to derail this thread talking about the slingshot, its got its own thread.

·
Registered
957 Posts
A smaller displacement bike like that would make for an amazing track bike. I'd love one of those older CBR250s or ZXR250s from the 90s.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I will say it again, wait for the KTM Duke/RC 390 to show up. They might get buzzy above 60/70 though- but they are thumpers and a lot of fun.
As for the Spyder, I always figured it would be a good bike to ride when it snows out here in the city. Just too pricey and not very "bike-like" for me.

·
Registered
511 Posts
I always tell people that buy the little ones (250's) that they should be prepared to step up in one year. Sometimes it doesn't take that long but most are done with them in a year. The Spyder looks cool but leaning is half the fun of owning a bike.

·
Registered
511 Posts
That may be a part of the appeal of the john deere motors in harleys.
I love fast bikes but 90 percent of time I am just cursing on them so a low relaxed vibration free ride is must more relaxed.
Hey now let's not be insulting John Deere. Their motors have way more technology

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I got bored in six miles from the 300....gotta love our bike.

Reactions: uberwrench

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
I had a 300 2013 and it sucked..even my girrl was making fun of me..
Are you sure she was disappointed with the Size of the Bike.....The bikes all look the same.....:eagerness:

·
Registered
957 Posts
I got bored in six miles from the 300....gotta love our bike.
If you were going straight of course you're going to. It's made for cornering. In any case, I can guarantee you'd have more fun on an FZ07 than an FZ09 if you never rev your 09 past 5k RPM. You'd just get way more out of the 07's powerband and you'd be able to hustle it around corners much more confidently. The 09 has 105 horsepower yes but if you keep the RPMs low like you do, you're basically only using like 45.

Get something you can comfortably take into the powerband so that you can learn more. You're gonna ruin your 09 riding it the way you do never getting the RPMs up. You don't even take the bike into its powerband.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts