Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm going to be 64 in 1 month and finally rode a Harley Davidson. Met up this morning with 3 guys from work to go for a morning ride from Massachusetts to Connecticut. So I traded my MT 10 for my bosses bagger for the ride out. This will piss some people off here but I'm gonna say it anyway. What a piece of shit motorcycle. I've always loved the cutting edge aspect of motorcycles and I've always known the supposed flaws of Harleys. I was kind of shocked because it was way worse than I ever guessed. I've seen HD motor vibration before but nothing prepares you for seeing this thing moving around underneath you. It made me wonder how it didn't throw the belt off. Then there are the brakes which are so bad that I made sure I planned stops because they were scary bad. It reminded me of a 70's era bike with worn out overheated drum brakes. Then there's the handling, actually it's hard to call it handing.....it's more like somehow in spite of itself it will go around a corner and turn. The suspension goes up and down but it's mostly just mush that no lends no help to the actual handling. The big squishy seat helps. The motor......ah yes, the legendary HD V twin. I've seen a million of them go by making a crazy amount of noise but moving way to slow slow for that much noise. Kind of a "what's wrong with this picture thing". Well now I've actually experienced it. That a Yamaha 09 motor which is literally half the displacement will piss on a HD six ways to Sunday is incredible. If you've ever driven an overheating car where it's still running but making no horsepower is how I'd best describe it. I keep thinking about those antique tractor motors you see at old time county fairs. Like it's interesting to see history preserved but we've moved past that now. Apparently moving on from the antique HD V twin isn't going to happen until their market totally ages out. Personally I found nothing appealing about that motor. Harley people describe it as a different vibe to ride them. I didn't feel that vibe. It was more like the most un-fun motorcycle ride ever. I also don't get how people get older and decide that they need a less aggressive bike and move to Harley. Even if I wanted a big touring bike I'd buy 20 year old Gold Wing. It's less of a relic than a brand new HD. I think the best thing I can say about HDs are that you can fit a lot of shit in those saddle bags. Unfortunately for me, that's not going to enhance my riding experience. And lastly...... I was glad that we were far enough away from home and I had a full face helmet so that nobody recognized me. They can have HD image and mystique. I felt embarrassed to be seen on a HD. If riding around on a vibrating, obnoxiously loud, slow ill handling machine in a pirate outfit and buying every possible thing you can that's says Harley Davidson on it does it for some people, well ok. To me it added up to a boring un-fun ride. At least I got to ride my Yamaha back home and was able to have some fun.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I’m 24 and ive ridden older harleys and brand new ones from older dynas to road glides and even a brand new lowrider s. They aren’t the sportiest bikes in the world but I have enjoyed every ride I have ever been on a Harley. Even the older harleys I have ridden felt like good quality bikes and after riding a lowrider s I would seriously consider buying one. I would use it for longer rides where the 09’s seat just kills me. Two different bikes two purposes. If I ever wanted to get sporty with a Harley that lowrider s does it, the 114 motor has tons of torque and is surprisingly nimble. I never felt the feeling that I wouldn’t want to be seen riding one and I’m no old guy.

·
Registered
4,503 Posts
Ever since I owned a Sportser back in the late 60s, I've felt the same way. The only good thing about it was $1000 profit after some minor custom work I did before selling. The worst part was starting it. Being an old XLCH, it had a mageto for ignition. 50-100 kicks every single time, hot or cold. That spark was so weak, you could hold the lead while kicking it and maybe get a little tickle. It's definitely a buy American image. Your experience with the horrible handling gives you a pretty good explanation for all of hogs that crash in those Tennessee Youtube videos. The county highway in front of our house is a detour route for a state highway this entire summer. The daily Harley parade is endless. We're looking forward to September. Personal tastes, but I've yet to see one I would ever seriously consider owning. There are over 300 for sale on my Craigslist and I've looked at the entire new lineup on the Harley site and nothing appeals. Good thing not everyone sees things the same way.

·
Registered
4,840 Posts
I've ridden a few, don't like them. If I lived in some state where corners only come up every 100 km's or so, was a BaB and kept to speed limits a Hardly might make sense. But I'm not and they don't.
All the Harley guys I've known are in HOG for the social side and like the Harley image.

Reactions: GreatHolio

·
Registered
521 Posts
I've ridden a few, don't like them. If I lived in some state where corners only come up every 100 km's or so, was a BaB and kept to speed limits a Hardly might make sense. But I'm not and they don't.
All the Harley guys I've known are in HOG for the social side and like the Harley image.
You forgot the part about where you get to dress up like a pirate and ride to imbibe swill...

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Reactions: GreatHolio and LouG

·
Registered
462 Posts
Well I might as well fess up to...I rode one also back in the mid 70's ....I reckon it must not have impressed me much or I would have owned one by now! If they bring the Bronx to market and its not some overweight and under powered beast, I just might try another one!

·
Registered
2020 MT-09
385 Posts
They are like any other bike I have owned or tried out. Some are good some are bad. There are good and bad years for all models. Just like the mt09 it is not built for everyone and often has to be modified to get it right for you. I swore I'd never own one as everytime I rode one I hated it. Too slow, too bulky, too expensive, and just not me. However once in did my research and bought my own and modified for me i absolutely loved it. I'm a fan of a well thought out sleeper, car or bike and that was what I had. I could smoke or hang with any stock bike light to light. Only had a rideable top speed of 130-140mph so after that I was smoked. I hated at first how the pegs were always dragging in the corners until i learned to position myself better on the bike to run the same speeds that i did on my sportbike through the corners. I rode almost 5k in 7 days on my very uncomfortable harley (compared to others) with no issue. I dont think i could do that on my MT. I will own another one in a few years because they can be fun to travel on and know some guys who can stunt baggers better than some can on sportbike. With all that said the MT is the most fun I have had on a street only bike hands down. It's certainly flawed in areas but it is expected in a sub 10k bike.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
I live in West Virginia. There are more Harley's here than deer and there are a crapload of deer.

But I've never ridden one. I have a buddy looking at another bike. We went to look at it and the owner had a harley. He insisted I sat on it,trying to convert me from my Japanese bike.

I started the harley and I vibrated off the seat....lol. I dont think I'd enjoy it, but someday I'm sure I'll get a chance to go down the road on one.

Reactions: LouG

·
Registered
103 Posts
Does it really come as a surprise to anyone that Harley Davidson does not compete on performance or technical finesse?

It's about the visceral experience. You either like it or you don't.

·
Registered
2020 MT-09
385 Posts
There are some very able Harley powered race bikes out there. They are not as common but I have seen some HD's smoke import bikes on the track.

·
Registered
2016 xsr 900
515 Posts
Everyone has their thing, If space and money were no object I'd probably own one, but I'd probably own a whole lot of other bikes too. I am sure I'd rather ride a Harley than drive a car :unsure:.
IMHO Harley motors are like the SBC of the motorcycle world - they've been around and 'the same' for so long that making good power is a known formula, and the parts to do so aren't stupid expensive one-off's made by some uber fabricator in his garage.

·
Registered
713 Posts
I had a 95 sportster that was a blast to ride ,then I had a 99 Buell with the same motor ,it was fun too !

·
Registered
115 Posts
I will not argue for or against. I will say that bike tastes are just like orifices we all have. They are all different, they all look different and perform different. Who are we to say that my orifice is better than the next.

The question of HD vs Anything else will always be subjective. One will argue for, the other will argue against. Does it truly matter?

We are all on two wheels. I will salute a Yamaha, KTM, Honda, Harley Davidson, BMW... You're on two wheels, I salute. I missed a few. Sue me!

The point I'm trying to make is clear. If someone's ego gets in the way of what I said above... I'll be on my two wheels.

If they salute me back... I don't give a shit what they riding... I'll have a few miles smiling knowing my brothers are out there.

If we sit down for a beer, you bet your ass I'll give them shit. If they don't give me shit for my "Jap" "rice burner" bike... It was not a fun get together.

Tastes. They are so subjective! I waste not, my time with menial things. I go and ride.

Two on the ground!!!

·
Registered
119 Posts
I actually have a 06 Yamaha Road Star 1700 which is IMHO far better built than any Harley. It is my ride of choice when wifey wants to go for a cruise on two wheels. The bike is dead stone reliable unlike most Harleys. It is my understanding that the "new" Harley Milwaukee 8 engine is a blatant copy of the Road Star's cylinder head architecture. Yamaha knows how to make reliable engines and I guess Harley has given them the greatest form of compliment!

·
Super Moderator
4,208 Posts
There are some very able Harley powered race bikes out there. They are not as common but I have seen some HD's smoke import bikes on the track.
I personally have witnessed a Harley smoke 'em on the track. Mike Smith coming down the hill out of T11 at Road Atlanta on the VR1000 crashed and burned. The smoke was visible all the way out at T6.

·
Registered
4,840 Posts
I just don't have enough experience to debate the differences in a**eholes. I've known a couple that ride bikes though. One was in uniform and tried to fit me up. Luckily they're very rare.

Reactions: GreatHolio

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm going to be 64 in 1 month and finally rode a Harley Davidson. Met up this morning with 3 guys from work to go for a morning ride from Massachusetts to Connecticut. So I traded my MT 10 for my bosses bagger for the ride out. This will piss some people off here but I'm gonna say it anyway. What a piece of shit motorcycle. I've always loved the cutting edge aspect of motorcycles and I've always known the supposed flaws of Harleys. I was kind of shocked because it was way worse than I ever guessed. I've seen HD motor vibration before but nothing prepares you for seeing this thing moving around underneath you. It made me wonder how it didn't throw the belt off. Then there are the brakes which are so bad that I made sure I planned stops because they were scary bad. It reminded me of a 70's era bike with worn out overheated drum brakes. Then there's the handling, actually it's hard to call it handing.....it's more like somehow in spite of itself it will go around a corner and turn. The suspension goes up and down but it's mostly just mush that no lends no help to the actual handling. The big squishy seat helps. The motor......ah yes, the legendary HD V twin. I've seen a million of them go by making a crazy amount of noise but moving way to slow slow for that much noise. Kind of a "what's wrong with this picture thing". Well now I've actually experienced it. That a Yamaha 09 motor which is literally half the displacement will piss on a HD six ways to Sunday is incredible. If you've ever driven an overheating car where it's still running but making no horsepower is how I'd best describe it. I keep thinking about those antique tractor motors you see at old time county fairs. Like it's interesting to see history preserved but we've moved past that now. Apparently moving on from the antique HD V twin isn't going to happen until their market totally ages out. Personally I found nothing appealing about that motor. Harley people describe it as a different vibe to ride them. I didn't feel that vibe. It was more like the most un-fun motorcycle ride ever. I also don't get how people get older and decide that they need a less aggressive bike and move to Harley. Even if I wanted a big touring bike I'd buy 20 year old Gold Wing. It's less of a relic than a brand new HD. I think the best thing I can say about HDs are that you can fit a lot of shit in those saddle bags. Unfortunately for me, that's not going to enhance my riding experience. And lastly...... I was glad that we were far enough away from home and I had a full face helmet so that nobody recognized me. They can have HD image and mystique. I felt embarrassed to be seen on a HD. If riding around on a vibrating, obnoxiously loud, slow ill handling machine in a pirate outfit and buying every possible thing you can that's say Harley Davidson on it does it for some people, well ok. To me it added up to a boring un-fun ride. At least I got to ride my Yamaha back home and was able to have some fun.
Agreed.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts