Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
835 Posts
It's so black!

Definitely looks great on the graphite but the gold on red looks awesome.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I like the subdued colors and it shows with one of my other toys. FZ092A1.jpg

Attachments

Reactions: Fairbanksdmt

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I like the gold... :dontknow:
You are probably in the minority! HAHA. I like the stealth look. Funny how the original ad said "The FZ09 is the dark side of Japan" but put gold forks on the bike? Should have been an option here in the U.S.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ding ding ding!!! We have a winner!! Yes it's Plasti Dip. I wanted to see how it would turn out and how I would like the black before I powder coated them. Better to have something I can easily reverse than something like paint or powder coat that will last practically forever.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Gold looks good, but black looks epic. I could see robocop judge dredd or the terminator riding with all black. Epic.

Reactions: threesvts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
definitely looks nice. Definitely an option for me in the future.
Thanks guys. It really wasn't all that hard. Just the set up with all the masking was a P.I.T.A! The real trick is to have the same distance from the surface so you don't get any texture at all. It's thick, but you can still see the machine marks in the original finish. I used the matte black from dipyourcar.com and it matches the OEM black almost perfectly. It's actually so close in color you cannot tell a difference unless you are like 6 inches away. I also did the passenger pegs while I was at it. The 2 things I HATE on my bikes are gold and/or chrome/bare aluminum colors.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
now you no longer have official Ohlins forks and your performance will suffer dramatically! :)
No I don't. But my R1 has them and guess what? They are anodized black as well!!! Ohlins are on the way for the FZ09 and will be treated the same way:)

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
In terms of raw acceleration, how does the 09 compare to the R1?
Not even close! Even when the R1 was stock there's still no comparison. The FZ has torque, but the R1 is VIOLENT when it gets to about 8,000 rpms all the way to the 13,750 limiter. Comparing 115 hp to 182hp is night and day! I love the FZ, but feel more comfortable on the R1 because I know it so well. In a 60mph roll the R1 would annihilate the FZ. The FZ is a wheelie monster yes, but it's very controllable. The R1 will 12 o'clock on you in a heartbeat when it hits 10k if you let it. And it'll go from forward acceleration to standing straight up in a blink of an eye. Even though the displacement relatively is close, comparing a liter bike to what is technically a commuter bike is not fair comparison at all.

Reactions: raja777m

·
Registered
612 Posts
Reactions: jmcghee41

·
Registered
154 Posts
I'm curious as to how well the plastidip will hold up, please be sure to give us a report in a couple months as to how durable it has been to resisting chipping and peeling.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts