Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Awoke to black ice this morning around my part of Northern NJ & Orange Co NY. Waited until about 1:30 , temp 51, the streets were mostly dry except for patches of snow melt crossing parts of the road.

Aside from some recent dirt bike fun, it has been years since I have driven a street bike. As others have described, I had to get acquainted with "feel" of the FZ's clutch, breaks, throttle, maneuverability, and massive rush of torque ! Wow.. just amazed.

I mostly toured around the local roads that wind through state parks, like Harriman and sterling forest. The 40 & 50 MPH limits (always obeyed :evil6:), made for a great spirited break-in ride with lots of accel and decel. The windblast at higher speeds, plus the strong gusts out today made me really consider the need for windscreen.

The throttle - I remember thinking that the Stoltech ECU flash is probably in order as well. I noticed a little lag in the response which lead me to apply more throttle than I needed.

I am about 175 without gear and the suspension felt okay to me so far - no issues yet.

Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Car Motor vehicle

Reactions: beck

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Same thing here, first ride, got the bike yesterday. The weather in PA was similar with a lot of water running across the road, so I didn't go too nuts, just a little. I didn't notice any issues with fueling. I also didn't notice any suspension issues. This is a great bike. The only thing that took a little getting used to was the position of the rear brake, but that's because I'm coming from cruiser bikes. This is my first sport bike. You get used to things fast though, after a few minutes, it wasn't an issue. When I road the bike around the parking lot yesterday, I couldn't find the rear brake and stopped with the front. That wasn't an issue after a few minutes today. Did you get it in A or Standard? I had it in Standard yesterday, but really didn't go anywhere. I had it in B mode today.

Reactions: RichBaker

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I started out in B mode, and worked my way up mostly while on the move. Did several WOT runs from 35 and up in A mode, she rips and sounds great ! Hope to get out again today before this next depressing freeze sets in!

·
Registered
149 Posts
Yes, we had some good weather yesterday!!
Pot hole city though, and all the crazies were out but,,, had a great first ride also!!
I think I am going to LOVE this bike. I have had many and sold many, very few are keepers.

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
I had to ride mine into work yesterday. The weather was beautiful, but the ride home proved to be a cold, deer dodging, fest.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
Glad some people got to enjoy a ride!

Really wanted to ride here in northern nj but decided it wasn't worth the risk. Salt everywhere, ice, snow and cars swerving over lines to avoid potholes.

This weather is a cruel joke.

Here's to hoping road repair happens in April instead of November like they did last year.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
89 Posts
I had to ride mine into work yesterday. The weather was beautiful, but the ride home proved to be a cold, deer dodging, fest.

Tell us about your handlebars and hand guards? The bars look taller than stock. Looks like a nice setup!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts