Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
61 - 76 of 76 Posts

· Registered
4,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
I installed the Powerbronze handguards today when they arrived. They are nowhere near as nice looking or as well built as my Zeta, LED signal, handguards, but Zeta does not have a mount that will clear my brake lever. I tried a couple of Adventure options, but they don't fit. I will use these until something better comes along. The Pyramid option was not to my liking at all. I was the very first person on here
to install handguards on the FZ-09 after having them on our WR250R playbikes.
Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive tire Automotive exterior Engineering
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Automotive lighting
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting

· Registered
4,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 ·
I have a thing for badging, and this bike is no different. I swapped out my Öhlins stickers to something that better fits the bike. I know that some die-hards consider it blasphemy, but it is my bike. Swingarm and fork stickers are a carryover from my motocross background. I know that the forks are KYB, but the shock isn't.
Crankset Tire Motor vehicle Automotive tire Bicycles--Equipment and supplies

Tire Wheel Bicycle frame Bicycle tire Crankset

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Yellow Automotive exhaust Automotive design

· Registered
4,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 ·
I was finally able to get Newt out for a good ride with Blondzilla in tow. Dave's flash is spot on. D-mode 2 felt the best on the street with TCS set on 1, no lift control. Getting used to the quickshifter without backing off the throttle took me a little while. It made long power wheelies a blast. The bike handles so much better than our Gen 1 bikes. It holds a line amazingly well, and mid-corner corrections are a breeze. Overall, I am beyond pleased with this bike.
Tire Wheel Motorcycle Vehicle Automotive tire

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire

· Registered
4,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #71 ·
I went for a long ride Sunday and had a blast. This bike flicks and carves much better than my 2014 model. I did encounter a wierd glitch pulling into the driveway. As I was coasting, the bike surged in 1st gear with a closed throttle. I instantly pulled in the clutch, but I have never had a bike react like that before. TCS-1, MODE-2.
Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Road surface

· Registered
339 Posts
I went for a long ride Sunday and had a blast. This bike flicks and carves much better than my 2014 model. I did encounter a wierd glitch pulling into the driveway. As I was coasting, the bike surged in 1st gear with a closed throttle. I instantly pulled in the clutch, but I have never had a bike react like that before. TCS-1, MODE-2. View attachment 173757
Is it the decel fuelling modification that Yamaha made during the recall that you're experiencing maybe? I didn't like it at all after I'd had the recall done. The bike would slow down consistently under engine braking until a certain rpm then to stop the bike cutting out they added fuel back in which makes the bike stop slowing down and feel like you've picked up the throttle a tiny bit. It's really annoying.

· Registered
4,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #75 ·
Is it the decel fuelling modification that Yamaha made during the recall that you're experiencing maybe? I didn't like it at all after I'd had the recall done. The bike would slow down consistently under engine braking until a certain rpm then to stop the bike cutting out they added fuel back in which makes the bike stop slowing down and feel like you've picked up the throttle a tiny bit. It's really annoying.
I don't get it at all. I have owned quite a few fuel injected bikes and several have been smooth as can be. You would think that they would give us a smooth throttle out of the box by now.

· Registered
4,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #76 ·
I mounted my Michelin Road 6 tires, and swapped the valve stems with angled ones for better access. I put some black rim tape on the rims that light up when headlights hit them because I like alerting cages but hate and always remove the stock reflectors.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Gas Engineering Machine

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Bicycle tire Vehicle brake

61 - 76 of 76 Posts