Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
A great three day weekend running some of the very best roads
in the southeast with trusted friends was waiting on me. Just perfect conditions in
north Georgia with temps starting in the high fifties and topping out in the mid-seventies.
With surprisingly light traffic and zero enforcement everything was in place for
an epic adventure except for one thing...my FZ and I have never really gotten
along as well as I would have liked. It was with only 12, or so, miles on the clock I sent the
forks and the ECU off to Nick and within a short while I got the GP valved forks, reflashed ECU
and a Penske Double-Clicker installed along with a Seat Concepts seat and the GPR damper.
All in, from the start. I expected great things, but didn't seem to have the time to sort through
the suspension and give it the sustained attention to dial it all in. The seat never worked out
either. After a rather fitful four day ride in Arkansas a couple of months back, I hadn't really
looked at the FZ. And I was considering riding my DR650 for my annual Fall Rally with friends.

So...with a couple of weeks before the big show, I set about sorting through all of the action items.
I dropped the seat at a local upholstery shop with pictures of the Street Rally seat and got what
I wanted, some additional millimeters of seat height/leg room, a flat profile, softer foam and
some relief from joint pain.

I had attempted to set sag by myself several times, which can be done, but obviously not by me.
As I had it all wrong. Took it by MSP in Atlanta and had enough hands on it to get the right measurements
and minor height adjustments made. I hit up a back road nearby with some sketchy pavement and with a
few turns here and a couple clicks there I was well on my way.

Got home and spent a good bit of time straightening the front end from a minor drop in my driveway.
Then I aligned the rear with the front and set the Pilot road 4's to 32 front/34 rear.

Days later I found myself leading a small group and loving every yard of pavement I tortured. I haven't
ridden a bike that well and had that much fun since my last track day at Barber six years ago. The minor
attention and effort to sort through my "issues" paid off and there is no mistaking that the FZ is a star with
the right setup. I must find a way to temper my lust for ridiculous roll-ons through sweepy, bendy bits.
What a sweet motor that thrills me more than any other I've experienced. I should be shot for not making
a better effort to sort through it all back those many months ago.
But now, I finally have the bike I wanted all along.
Thanks Nick!

And that GPR damper, while a gimmicky farkle to many...it came in handy for a fellow that never really
was all that familiar with what it feels like to have the front tire skim just above the road surface.

Attached is a Google Earth jpeg of just a tiny bit of what I rode last weekend.

Map Geological phenomenon Rock

·
Registered
112 Posts
I know how you feel! I'm waiting to get the suspension sorted out as I really don't find it that terrible... but yeah.

By the way, this is like 20 minutes from my house... and gets ridden every weekend ;)

·
Super Moderator
4,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Lucky dog! Colorado is just beautiful. So much to see, but so far away for me. My last trip out was 2009.
Most of my street riding there has been in the area bordered by Gunnison, Grand Junction, Norwood and Lake City.

So...that little run from Boulder to Nederland looks fun.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Unfortunately boulder canyon is pretty much always packed full of cars... pass a group of 3 and you're stuck behind 4 more.

72 is really fun, and rarely crowded! But yeah, so much to do and see here, especially since I moved here back in April.

·
Registered
377 Posts
A great three day weekend running some of the very best roads
in the southeast with trusted friends was waiting on me. Just perfect conditions in
north Georgia with temps starting in the high fifties and topping out in the mid-seventies.
With surprisingly light traffic and zero enforcement everything was in place for
an epic adventure except for one thing...my FZ and I have never really gotten
along as well as I would have liked. It was with only 12, or so, miles on the clock I sent the
forks and the ECU off to Nick and within a short while I got the GP valved forks, reflashed ECU
and a Penske Double-Clicker installed along with a Seat Concepts seat and the GPR damper.
All in, from the start. I expected great things, but didn't seem to have the time to sort through
the suspension and give it the sustained attention to dial it all in. The seat never worked out
either. After a rather fitful four day ride in Arkansas a couple of months back, I hadn't really
looked at the FZ. And I was considering riding my DR650 for my annual Fall Rally with friends.

So...with a couple of weeks before the big show, I set about sorting through all of the action items.
I dropped the seat at a local upholstery shop with pictures of the Street Rally seat and got what
I wanted, some additional millimeters of seat height/leg room, a flat profile, softer foam and
some relief from joint pain.

I had attempted to set sag by myself several times, which can be done, but obviously not by me.
As I had it all wrong. Took it by MSP in Atlanta and had enough hands on it to get the right measurements
and minor height adjustments made. I hit up a back road nearby with some sketchy pavement and with a
few turns here and a couple clicks there I was well on my way.

Got home and spent a good bit of time straightening the front end from a minor drop in my driveway.
Then I aligned the rear with the front and set the Pilot road 4's to 32 front/34 rear.

Days later I found myself leading a small group and loving every yard of pavement I tortured. I haven't
ridden a bike that well and had that much fun since my last track day at Barber six years ago. The minor
attention and effort to sort through my "issues" paid off and there is no mistaking that the FZ is a star with
the right setup. I must find a way to temper my lust for ridiculous roll-ons through sweepy, bendy bits.
What a sweet motor that thrills me more than any other I've experienced. I should be shot for not making
a better effort to sort through it all back those many months ago.
But now, I finally have the bike I wanted all along.
Thanks Nick!

And that GPR damper, while a gimmicky farkle to many...it came in handy for a fellow that never really
was all that familiar with what it feels like to have the front tire skim just above the road surface.

Attached is a Google Earth jpeg of just a tiny bit of what I rode last weekend.

View attachment 9752
I'm getting the factory flash tomorrow, and my suspension (triple clicker and front cartridge) should be shipped out wednsday, so I'm totally psyched to read your experiences, I absolutely LOVE this bike, even with the crap suspension and twitchy throttle, so I'm hoping for the same experience as you shortly.

yay!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts