Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ducati is coming out with a retro cruiser/dual sport kind of bike, that weighs around 400 lbs wet and has the same engine as the 796 monster. The FZ-09 has made me realize that I really like lighter bikes. I had a lighter cruiser, but it could't get out of it's own way (a Suzuki S40, a single cylinder with a carb), so I sold it. And, it's $8500. That's not bad for a Ducati. I like the new Scout, but it might be too much like my Sportster. I have to see what's going on with my job (this year is tenure year), but if all works out, I wouldn't mind another cruiser. I'm going to test ride the Scout next weekend since the Indian demo truck will be at the local dealer. I can't wait to see what Ducati comes out with also. Here's a link.

2015 Ducati Scrambler First Look Motorcycle Review- Photos- Specs- Pricing

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
That Scrambler is cute, but your FZ will run circles around it. Yamaha has a similar Bike, and BMW has one too for 2015.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
A scrambler is a retro standard street bike with some adaptation for the dirt.

To me a cruiser is long and low.

"your FZ will run circles around it." Yes but Jen rides so far within the capabilities of her 09 I don't know if it makes much difference, this Ducati has 75hp and from Jen's descriptions of her riding I'd guess she rarely uses more than 50 or 60hp.

I like the looks of this Ducati, a very well done retro, as far as riding goes for Jen I don't know if there would be enough difference to own both it and the 09. Of course the small difference on the scales isn't the whole story, it is possible that sitting on it and riding it it would feel a lot lighter.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
The FZ will of course ride circles around most anything. For something faster, get the Kawi H2 and you will run circles around everything on wheels.

The Yamaha standard has 25 HP and you have to kick start it.

Ride how you ride and don't crash going 130 mph using the full potential of the bike. Be careful.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Looks kinda old school uncomfortable... shades of the old Triumphs (back in the 60's). ABS helps but hard to carry stuff, no wind shield, dealer coverage is spotty, parts?, BUT, if you like it, that's the big factor!

Reactions: JustWantToRide

·
Registered
511 Posts
On the flip side the Harley crowd doesn't know how to react to an Italian bike. When a guy pulled up on an Aprilia all my buddies walked around poking at it and mumbling for half an hour. Then one of them proclaimed " pasta burner ".

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
I think it's a cool little bike. It's a nice light little standard bike. I'm not hot on air cooled Ducs though... (No pun intended)

·
Registered
166 Posts
On the flip side the Harley crowd doesn't know how to react to an Italian bike. When a guy pulled up on an Aprilia all my buddies walked around poking at it and mumbling for half an hour. Then one of them proclaimed " pasta burner ".
LMAO. I literally fell out laughing hysterically when I read this... This is crazy classic.. The hawly guys strike again.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Beer drinkers? If a Japanese bike is rice burner and a Italian bike is a pasta burner what does that make a Harley?

·
Registered
350 Posts
Living in the Az desert, I too am not a big fan of aircooled bikes. But the 2-valve air cooled ducs are much easier for owner maintenance than the water cooled engines. And I have several friends who have 796 monsters and the poor reliability rep is exaggerated. And I personally think Everybody out to something Italian. I like the look.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Beer drinkers? If a Japanese bike is rice burner and a Italian bike is a pasta burner what does that make a Harley?
Corn burner!!

·
Super Moderator
4,349 Posts
I like it and the two valve, air-cooled motor is outstanding in any state of tune. I see it as a more stout W650 with a sweet L twin
throb.

The tank is kind of goofy to me. But I do understand it's retro styling. It might look very good in person and with the spoke wheels.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
It's cool they did 3 different styles. Not sure if we'll get all 3 in the states but cool looking ride either way. I'd consider one if the fz wasn't so close/better in capabilities.

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
Will have to wait and see what they end up selling for, this is the only pricing I can find so far.

2015 Ducati Motorcycle Buyer's Guide - Motorcycle USA

Scrambler Classic $9,995
Scrambler Full Throttle $9,995
Scrambler Icon $8,495
Scrambler Urban Enduro $9,995

I think they would have better luck selling them if they were available with a selection of different engine sizes. Maybe start with a 400cc, 650cc and then the 803cc. I can't see a bike weighing in at 424 lbs. (Wet) being all that fun in the dirt. Yet the BMW R 1200 GS weighs in at 525 lbs. and it's considered a dual sport? Get that beast stuck and you better call a tow truck, lol.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts