Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the title states, I mindlessly filled up this morning 3/4 of the tank with 110 Sunoco Leaded Race Gas. On the ride home, about 30 miles, I had the realization that this was probably not a good idea considering the 9's have cats and O2's.. Lead is a no-go for catted systems. So I proceeded to siphon out nearly all of the tank and went to the local station for regular 93 Unleaded and ran it for another 15 miles.. Question is, would the 30 miles or so of primarily 110 Leaded have already done damage to the cat and O2? She's running great as always and there's no indication that anything is wrong, just looking for people's experience and opinions regarding my blunder. Hopefully I caught my mistake before it was too late.
Thanks!

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
No you are fine. It takes a good amount of lead to foul and 02 or clog up a cat.

Reactions: phasterthanyou

·
Super Moderator
4,340 Posts
And where do you find "race fuel" at the pump?

~Don't forget to mark your location on the Member Map~

·
Registered
58 Posts
I can purchase race fuel at the pump in Brentwood. Very few stations have this available. It's rare, but if the local classic/high performance market supports it, it happens.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
And where do you find "race fuel" at the pump?

~Don't forget to mark your location on the Member Map~
Member location corrected..
I live in Wesley Chapel Florida, considered North Tampa area. There's a little mom and pop gas station/convenience store in Brooksville off of SR50 that sells it at the pump, along with 90 non-ethanol.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Yeah, I wouldn't worry too much about that. I probably wouldn't have even bothered to siphon any out, I would have just refueled at half tank for few times afterward to dilute if anything. Besides, if the cat were to go bad, that just means it's justification time for your favorite new aftermarket high performance exhaust system!

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
That had to be an expensive fill.....its about $13.00 a gallon here

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
oh my god...you're bike is toast! Don't let the dealer see your post!!

um....I think you should be ok.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Member location corrected..
I live in Wesley Chapel Florida, considered North Tampa area. There's a little mom and pop gas station/convenience store in Brooksville off of SR50 that sells it at the pump, along with 90 non-ethanol.
Blanche's!...........many guys gas up their sport bikes there, thinking it will boost power, on their stock bikes...wrong.

Then they ride east a mile, and talk "high performance" at the Sunday meet-up spot, behind the Hess Station, on Spring Lake Road.

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
Pretty useless using race fuel with low compression Ratio like we have. I won't consider using that until 13:1 CR minimum. Then you need to be tuned for it, totally different! Should not kill the CAT or O2 sensor on one run but you can add reg gas in a bit to dilute it.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
As the title states, I mindlessly filled up this morning 3/4 of the tank with 110 Sunoco Leaded Race Gas. On the ride home, about 30 miles, I had the realization that this was probably not a good idea considering the 9's have cats and O2's.. Lead is a no-go for catted systems. So I proceeded to siphon out nearly all of the tank and went to the local station for regular 93 Unleaded and ran it for another 15 miles.. Question is, would the 30 miles or so of primarily 110 Leaded have already done damage to the cat and O2? She's running great as always and there's no indication that anything is wrong, just looking for people's experience and opinions regarding my blunder. Hopefully I caught my mistake before it was too late.
Thanks!
Who cares about the dumb ol cat. I would not lose any sleep over it.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Yes as much as gasoline is a part of our everyday lives, it is sad to see so many people unaware that the octane rating is actually a knock resistance rating. Unless you tune for the extra knock resistance, higher octane doesn't do anything for you.

·
Registered
45 Posts
What are the other fuel octane options in the states?..down here in Australia we have 91 ethanol blend..95 and 98...I run 95 octane in both of my bikes...mainly from BP servos...seems to be the best. I usually add pinch of kangaroo poo for extra go...just kidding...koala poo is better.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
87,89,93 all with 10% or less ethanol. Some regions have 91. We also have 89 ethanol free sold at gas stations near boat ramps.

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
When it comes to race fuel, there's more to it than simple octane rating. But it you are not tune for it, can be worst than pump fuel.

Many years ago I was working for a race team. We were cleaning up an old part bin trailer. We had to junk some 5 gals race fuel that were left over from some F1 team. I end up throwing a whole 5 gals juf in my Honda Accord. Nor sure what kind of fkn magic potion was in there but I was driving down the freeway and my eyes were crying like when i peel onion or something like that. I end up getting off the freeway and top off the tank with reg gas. That $hit was very potent! Vp C-12 kind of smeel quite sexy... lol

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'll admit I knew I wouldn't net any true performance gains, and that I spent nearly 9 bucks a gallon to have nice smelling exhaust... Don't judge me

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
No way in hell anyone is selling leaded fuel. 100 Octane, yes. Leaded...no.
I tell no lies! Rayminator knows, I kid you not... Sunoco 110 Leaded, with a disclaimer at the pump stating "race fuel, off road use only". Only difference with me from the typical weekend crowd that fills up there and meet up at the Hess to talk performance is that I'm a bit of a loner, I tend to be on my way home when those guys are just waking up. I usually get out on the weekends and leave the house around 4am (typical wake up schedule for work), BEST type of riding in my opinion. Limited to no traffic at all, light fuzz presence, and the only real way to carve up Weatherly, Gobler, and the rest of the good twisty back roads here in Florida. Usually its about a 2hr loop when leaving from my house in Wesley Chapel, a 5 minute ride to where the good stuff starts. I can't stand riding in traffic, no fun...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts