1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
337 Posts
Chances of surviving or not sustaining serious injuries during an accident without a helmet are slim.

We could have the old $59 dollar vs $800 dollar helmet debate also but I am sure it would turn into a 15 page thread. Buy the BEST gear you can afford and wear it each time you throw a leg over the bike.

Even if NJ decided to get rid of the helmet law I would still wear one 100% of the time.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
I'm a full believer in ATG and not to get political but if you want to be an idiot and not wear a helmet, that's on you just like wearing a seat belt. You should assume the risk and potential penalties of your actions.

Drunk driving tickets, cigarette smoking bans - these laws protect others from those who decide to do something dangerous - i support that.

But I can't think of any impact (aside from an upset family) not wearing a helmet would have on anyone but the rider.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
474 Posts
I push for freedom of choice in all cases, though I would never ride without protection. If someone can show correlation between rates of death or brain injury from non-helmet wearing riders and the cost of my insurance, I'll support the law.

Reactions: JustWantToRide

·
Registered
365 Posts
I also believe in freedom of choice. But I would also never ride without a helmet. My friends wife (a nurse) told me that where she worked the people were disapointed when this helmet law came in affect because the organs that they received were dramatically reduced. No helmet = dead brain and good organs. I guess people who ride without are more concerned about looks than actually stickin around. So in my opinion, ban the helmet law and its a win win for everyone.

·
Registered
670 Posts
[Preamble]This is just a personal opinion and I don't want anybody's shorts to get twisted around the axle. OK?[/Preamble]

The price of your helmet should be directly proportional to the value to put on your life. With that being said those who ride without helmets probably don't need one.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
[Preamble]This is just a personal opinion and I don't want anybody's shorts to get twisted around the axle. OK?[/Preamble]

The price of your helmet should be directly proportional to the value to put on your life. With that being said those who ride without helmets probably don't need one.
well said.

There was an anti helmet law rally in NY a few years ago - the guy riding it got in an accident and died and would have survived if he was wearing a helmet - enough said on this topic IMO.

Motorcyclist killed in anti-helmet rally - World - CBC News

·
Registered
601 Posts
Repeat after me:

If it doesn't hurt anybody else, it's NOBODY's business.​

That should also apply to gambling, prostitution, marijuana, euthanasia, and so on.

My libertarian streak is too wide to support helmet laws.

"Americans have the god-given right to die making stupid decisions. Besides that will reduce the number of Harleys by a factor of three."
-Thomas Jefferson

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
I don't think that the law should require you to wear a helmet... BUT, I do think that the law should require that if you decide to ride without one you have to provide proof of medical insurance, or carry extra insurance.

I don't want your retarded decision and subsequent **** up to cost taxpayers a dime, in any way. Period.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
More states are being pressured to repeal their universal motorcycle helmet laws. But when those laws are changed, the number of fatalities starts to rise immediately.

Click the link to scroll through the graphical data and then go get a helmet...

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2014/03/31/science/motorcycle-helmet-laws.html?_r=1

Now discuss.
Breaking news!

I thought everybody knew this?...just as common sense as cigarettes are bad for you. I believe that people should be allowed to make the choice though. My choice is ATGATT

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
Yeah right. Nice April Fools joke Luke.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
962 Posts
Let them kill themselves as long as I don't have to pay for it. Oh wait - in states that require you to have medical insurance we still pay for the morons that need more medical attention than their insurance provides, and support the ones that can't work anymore, and we actually pay for the one's who do have insurance because the insurance companies raise our rates to cover stupid people's claims. It isn't something that doesn't affect anyone else.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
I firmly believe in an individuals right to choose, just don't expect us to pay for your stupidity. I personally can't understand what would possess anyone to throw a leg over a motorcycle and not take 30 seconds to put on a helmet. The old 'it restricts my ability to see' argument falls on deaf ears for me. Out here in Hawaii, we have no helmet law, and you might see maybe 5-10% of Harley riders wear a helmet. The same idiots who are too cool to wave back as you pass them are evidently too cool to wear helmets as well. The old 'I like the wind in my face' is retarded. You want wind in your face, open the visor. There should be a mandatory opt-out clause to anyone who carries motorcycle insurance and refuses to wear a helmet, whereby if you crash and are injured while not wearing a helmet , you are solely responsible for any injury or medical expense-don't expect us as intelligent insurance carrying riders to foot the bill for your negligence. You may not survive every crash while geared up, but statistically there is a much higher probability that you will.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Repeat after me:

If it doesn't hurt anybody else, it's NOBODY's business.​

That should also apply to gambling, prostitution, marijuana, euthanasia, and so on.

My libertarian streak is too wide to support helmet laws.

"Americans have the god-given right to die making stupid decisions. Besides that will reduce the number of Harleys by a factor of three."
-Thomas Jefferson
The problem is that when some assclown does a header into a Camry and lives in a supported medical state of Cabbageland it raises everybody's insurance rates.

So my suggestion is that wearing a helmet is optional. However your medical insurance coverage is only in force if you've wear a helmet.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Let them kill themselves as long as I don't have to pay for it. Oh wait - in states that require you to have medical insurance we still pay for the morons that need more medical attention than their insurance provides, and support the ones that can't work anymore, and we actually pay for the one's who do have insurance because the insurance companies raise our rates to cover stupid people's claims. It isn't something that doesn't affect anyone else.
I have worked over 300+ hours in an ER. The rate of people without insurance coming in with no real emergency is staggering compared to those who don't have insurance getting into a motorcycle wreck. I only seen one moto wreck and the guy face planted the fender of a pickup truck. Anyways, get mad at the thousands of people who run to the ER for no reason, instead of the guy who had a 1/2 ton pickup pullout infront of him. Because regardless of whether he even wore a helmet or not shouldn't be even put into the equation based on someone else negligence. If you took the not at fault accidents out, it would probably drop those statistics substantially. Or maybe try to educate the masses on motorcycle awareness. Here's a good one, put a chapter into the mandatory test for getting your DL.

I wear helmet, gloves, boots, and a armored hoodie. (That's my choice and if you don't like it, please feel free to cry a little) Are they super awesome expensive? No they are not and you can laugh. But keep shopping around for a cheaper slip on. Hypocrites. Because if it "meets or exceeds the DOT rating" it's just as good as your 800$ helmet.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
I think they should make insurance rates liek they do for health insurance - non smokers get a better rate - those who wear gear should too.

Reactions: Spook

·
Registered
663 Posts
Helmet law in Alaska.

Driver: If under 18, mandatory. If over 18 it's optional.
Passenger: Always mandatory.

Eye Protection: Mandatory for all.

Kind of ironic that the state makes you protect your eyes, but as far as the rest of the head...not so much.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Make sure your Pit Bull wears a helmet when you go the welfare office to pick up your check.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts