Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI guys! New here. Fell in love with the MV Augusta Brutal Dragster about a month ago. What a beast. Did not enjoy the pricing, maintenance and dealer location (or lack of around here) and then decided against it. Until a buddy mentionned the new FZ09 and i immediatly said WOW!. I like it. I like the price, the dealer availability and everything else that comes with a Yamaha.

I presently ride a SM, rode MX growing up etc.... Any of you come from an MX/SM background? This FZ has gotta to be a whole lot of fun, plus a tad more power than my SM. I am juggling with the idea of keeping the SM...and getting a FZ. But worried that the FZ may just become my favorite and the SM will stay still for a long while...then again, it is fun to ride as well...

Thoughts? Are the folks going with a FZ from sport bike background or like me from SM? Does it compare?

Thanks!

·
Registered
186 Posts
People will love your dirtbike experience, the elitist believe it will make you a far superior rider to those non dirt guys.

It's a great bike overall, the suspension isn't great. But if you like wheelies this is the way to go lol.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I came from a CBR1000RR, and before that an R6. 4 days of riding now, and the older bikes are just a distant memory now. I have very little experience on an MX but this bike kinda has that feel when sitting on it. The bike is beast man. Could use stiffer suspenders, but I am pretty big dude. In every other way this bike is a no brainer. If you're not sure, see if you can find a demo, one ride and you'll be sold.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
There are plenty of threads on here already covering this - the net of them is the following:

1.yes buy it
2. Depending on your weight upgrade the suspension
3. Flash the ecu via stoltec for smoother throttle.
4. Yes it's easy to wheelie, buy extra underwear

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
I am an old scrambles/flattrack guy. And lots of play riding on mx bikes and some track time. I had a Ninja 1000 and thought it was pretty cool.

But the front end was pretty heavy and hard to do a good wheelie. I love to do wheelies and the FZ is a wheelie machine.

Zero to 60 the FZ is quicker. 60 to 130 the Kawi is faster. I am an old fart, I don't need to go that fast.

So I started reading about the FZ09 and before I knew it I was an owner.

A lot of bang for the buck but as mentioned before the suspension definitely needs work.

I am going the more economy route. I got a used shock off a Kawi that several of the guys on the forum are running with good results. Just sent it out for overhaul. Next will be the forks. Race Tech here is Socal will re-spring and re-valve for $450. So for less that a grand I will have good suspension.

Be warned... If you test ride one, you had better be prepared to hand over your wallet cuz you are definitely going to want one.

Oh almost forgot your question. Yes the FZ does compare to your super moto. It reminds me of a slightly bigger and much faster CRF 450 like I used to have.

Good luck!

·
Registered
670 Posts
Originally my choices were between the MV Agusta Brutale 800 (a drop-dead gorgeous work of art on two wheels) and the FZ-09. I took the MV out for a test ride and disliked it because of the cramped riding position, twitchy handling, and high cost. Moreover I started reading the MV forums and saw how many people had problems. One poor guy didn't even make it home from the dealer. Since motorcycle boots are not comfortable for walking, and in all the years I owned a Yamaha they never let me down, coupled with the $4000 lower cost and huge dealer network, my decision became easy once I started to think.

·
Registered
612 Posts
I am an old scrambles/flattrack guy. And lots of play riding on mx bikes and some track time. I had a Ninja 1000 and thought it was pretty cool.

But the front end was pretty heavy and hard to do a good wheelie. I love to do wheelies and the FZ is a wheelie machine.

Zero to 60 the FZ is quicker. 60 to 130 the Kawi is faster. I am an old fart, I don't need to go that fast.

So I started reading about the FZ09 and before I knew it I was an owner.

A lot of bang for the buck but as mentioned before the suspension definitely needs work.

I am going the more economy route. I got a used shock off a Kawi that several of the guys on the forum are running with good results. Just sent it out for overhaul. Next will be the forks. Race Tech here is Socal will re-spring and re-valve for $450. So for less that a grand I will have good suspension.

Be warned... If you test ride one, you had better be prepared to hand over your wallet cuz you are definitely going to want one.

Oh almost forgot your question. Yes the FZ does compare to your super moto. It reminds me of a slightly bigger and much faster CRF 450 like I used to have.

Good luck!
What is the rear shock you're using?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Seems pretty unanimous...! My closest dealer only has one FZ on the show room floor (the red fz). I was not able to ride one but only sat on it on the show room floor. Pretty stand up positionning like my SM hence, why i think i would enjoy this FZ. Would love to see all 3 in person. I was told, that they would be on the floor sometime next week (the black and orange). Thanks for the quick feedback folks.

I beleive there is a Power Tour happenning in my area in May...don't think i can hold up that long though! :)

Technically, being north of the border in the east, i can't ride anyway for the next few weeks still...but it is gnawing at me...

So being a "big" guy (220lbs), a definitive suspension overhaul would be needed...It would have to come in time i guess.

Thanks for the info guys! Appreciate it!

·
Vendor
2,394 Posts
I have a dirtbike background, and I've owned SM, and I absolutely love my FZ-09.

Welcome and enjoy your new FZ (you know you're going to buy one)!

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
Seems pretty unanimous...! My closest dealer only has one FZ on the show room floor (the red fz). I was not able to ride one but only sat on it on the show room floor. Pretty stand up positionning like my SM hence, why i think i would enjoy this FZ. Would love to see all 3 in person. I was told, that they would be on the floor sometime next week (the black and orange). Thanks for the quick feedback folks.

I beleive there is a Power Tour happenning in my area in May...don't think i can hold up that long though! :)

Technically, being north of the border in the east, i can't ride anyway for the next few weeks still...but it is gnawing at me...

So being a "big" guy (220lbs), a definitive suspension overhaul would be needed...It would have to come in time i guess.

Thanks for the info guys! Appreciate it!
I weigh slightly less than you, I don't think the bike is unridable with the stock suspension but I haven't pushed it hard yet and agree that it needs fixing. Just don't take it as something that you need to do to ride the bike period.

Also wait for a graphite gray - it's faster :)

·
Registered
670 Posts
I weigh slightly less than you, I don't think the bike is unridable with the stock suspension but I haven't pushed it hard yet and agree that it needs fixing. Just don't take it as something that you need to do to ride the bike period.

Also wait for a graphite gray - it's faster :)

Oh yes, wait for the Liquid Graphite colors. Not only is it faster buy the girls love the bad-boy image. :cool:

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok. So here's what i got so far.

1. I will love it.
2. I will forget my SM ever lived.
3. Suspension "may" need some work eventually.
4. Wheelies will be no brainers.
5. Great bang for the buck.

Oh! and Graphite gray is the fastest model.

Thanks! Damn it. You folks are very convincing. ;)

·
Registered
1,802 Posts

1. I will love it.

Don't let em fool ya. Rapid red is the fastest. Why do you think they call it Rapid? Lol.

Obviously the bike is rideable with the stock suspension. However the more you ride it and get familiar the more you begin to realize it needs some help.

I grew up on dirt bikes from the 60's and 70's and learned how to go fast on junk equipment with worthless suspension. So I know how to adapt and get by.

This bike will be insane with good suspension!

·
Registered
315 Posts

1. I will love it.

Other than the color choice,,,,,,You got it brother.

Red is the color, Rapid Red, Resale Red, Arrest me Red. You get the idea.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
how many of these threads have ended with the OP buying the bike - 90%?

We all convince them and the thanks we get from Yamaha is an non lubricated probe to shut our original forum name down - nice. :)

·
Registered
225 Posts
Long time MX guy here. I had been (street) bike-less since getting married in 1998(not by choice).
When we moved to Tennessee, my wife had a change of hart(or does not care:p) and I had been planning on building a SM for a few years. When I heard about the new FZ I hounded my dealership until one showed up. When the salesman called and told me when one would be arriving, I was there waiting. They assembled it, I test rode it, and bought it. The sales reps were bummed because they had been waiting to see/sit on/ride it too-NOPE, It's MINE!:cool: AS of last week, they still have not gotten a second one in yet.

Oh sorry, back to the point. I love the dirt bike-ish feel of this thing! With the changes I've made, I can't imagine a better bike for me, at any price. Just Do It!

·
Registered
225 Posts
Hmmm? Shot gun wedding huh Brian?
LOL - No, I meant that I had to give up street riding when I married a Trauma/ER nurse.

Not a big deal for me at the time. Indiana was not much of a riding thrill for me. I was much more into offroad/MX anyway. When she started riding off-road with me, she relaxed her on the on road riding perspective.

In her job she has seen all of the ugly things that happens to folks on motorcycles. She now realizes that we need to enjoy life while we can. Tomorrow is not guaranteed for any of us.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
LOL - No, I meant that I had to give up street riding when I married a Trauma/ER nurse.

Not a big deal for me at the time. Indiana was not much of a riding thrill for me. I was much more into offroad/MX anyway. When she started riding off-road with me, she relaxed her on the on road riding perspective.

In her job she has seen all of the ugly things that happens to folks on motorcycles. She now realizes that we need to enjoy life while we can. Tomorrow is not guaranteed for any of us.
Glad my wife has stuck to being an labor and delivery nurse - she considered ER and i was glad she didn't for that specific reason :)

Now i can ride without taking crap from her (most of the time) and we don't have to have kids yet because she gets her fix at work - win win!

·
Registered
225 Posts
Glad my wife has stuck to being an labor and delivery nurse - she considered ER and i was glad she didn't for that specific reason :)

Now i can ride without taking crap from her (most of the time) and we don't have to have kids yet because she gets her fix at work - win win!
NICE! - also no kids

It got worse for me before it got better. She became a Nurse Practitioner and worked at the level 1 trauma center in Indianapolis. Helicopters flying in from everywhere with horrific injuries kept her paranoid for a while. Her mentor there died from cancer. She was his primary caregiver during his illness and she learned to try to enjoy life.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts