Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been thinking about a possible 2nd bike. Something to do 2 up with my wife on the back.

A buddy just picked up a BMW R1150RT. It's a 2002 with only 22k miles on it.

He got it for just 2 grand. He knew I was thinking about a 2 up cruiser so he let me ride it.

Rode it for around 30 miles mostly in the twisties and a little freeway.

Its a nice bike for what it is but.... what a let down compared to my FZ09.

When I hopped back on the FZ it was instant LOVE all over again.

Man this puppy is totally smoking awesome.

Riding a different style bike really makes you appreciate just how special our FZ's really are. :cool:

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
I find the same thing whenever I'm confronted with a 15 year old car I've got to drive.....Sure enough when I get back to my almost new ride I feel like I've hit the Lotto, until reality sets in..:p

Reactions: MoFZio

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
Maybe that's one reason why I keep the DR650SE? It makes riding the 09 that much better, lol.

Well that and I don't intend to ride the 09 down any gravel roads....

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
When I hopped back on the FZ it was instant LOVE all over again.

Man this puppy is totally smoking awesome.

Riding a different style bike really makes you appreciate just how special our FZ's really are. :cool:
Hawk...you're very cool...for an old dude! :sunny:
Really enjoy hearing about your excitement/appreciate for this bike.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Maybe that's one reason why I keep the DR650SE? It makes riding the 09 that much better, lol.

Well that and I don't intend to ride the 09 down any gravel roads....
Symbiotic relationship (FZ09/DR650), eh?

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hawk...you're very cool...for an old dude! :sunny:
Really enjoy hearing about your excitement/appreciate for this bike.
Yea cool about like Lamont Sanford...a cool dummy! lol.

Hey Mo Fizz sure wish you east coast guys lived closer. In 2 weeks several of us Socal guys are gonna hook up for the BIG San Diego ride.

Wish you all could join us.

Watch out for those high speed Honda snow blowers.

·
Registered
511 Posts
The other bike I get to ride is a Gixxer 750 so when I get back on the FZ it isn't faster but a helluva lot more comfortable.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The other bike I get to ride is a Gixxer 750 so when I get back on the FZ it isn't faster but a helluva lot more comfortable.
Comfort is a good thing at my age.

Eh sonny, pass me that rocking chair.

Crap enough of this old crap.

Hell I am a 17 year old in this 62 year old used frame. I still got it...just cant get to it as quick as before.

Yea and when I pass you on the road it will look like a red flash...just like the Flash kid on TV.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Do you know how far I gotta lift my leg to get it on the footpeg of that friggin' Gixxer? Sure makes neat noises at 14k rpm though! I definitely can tell the difference in the suspension too. The FZ is more like a couch over bumps. When I was young ( I'm 50) I had a CBR and a ZX9R and was 2 steps away from a ZX12R. Back surgery, dislocating both shoulders, and some time later here we are with the FZ. I'm not disappointed but if I could still ride a supersport I probably would. I had a 919 for a while and my wife had some version of an SV650 since 99. I'm glad to be able to still ride because it is one of my favorite things to do. And it gives me a reason to be here with all of you.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Yea cool about like Lamont Sanford...a cool dummy! lol.

Hey Mo Fizz sure wish you east coast guys lived closer. In 2 weeks several of us Socal guys are gonna hook up for the BIG San Diego ride.

Wish you all could join us.

Watch out for those high speed Honda snow blowers.
For sure! Cali or bust. Some great ride with some wild "seasoned" riders. ;)
Enjoy the upcoming "FZ-cali-squad" ride!
Can only wish to ride out there one day...even if on a rental.

Reactions: jawknee21

·
Registered
241 Posts
Mofzio: get out here, a week of riding on the west coast will stick with you for a lifetime, do yourself a favor, come out here in February, when the midwest is frozen, you can come home with a tan and make all your buddys jealous!

One of my other bikes is a 17 year old harley dyna wide glide, after riding the 09 for a couple days, Imagine what its like to jump on the old hog, quite a downshift in speed and handeling ability (not to mention braking ability, yipes!), I guess thats the sacrafice I make to own a bike with "character"

·
Registered
241 Posts
Wingnut, you forgot to mention it was 85 on wednesday in san diego and its going to be 82 on friday in san diego! Sorry, as a former midwesterner, i never miss a chance to rub it in, i'm in lakeside, east county, where abouts are you?

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
i haven't even seen my bike in over a month (it's parked in my brothers garage). 3F degrees here today....not looking like it's going to come out of hibernation anytime soon.

Glad some of you are still finding time to enjoy!

·
Registered
176 Posts
IKR

Im friends with the bike shop owner and he'll send me off with rides that he fixed up for testing...

Makes you appreciate how great your own bike is compared to the ... "junk" out there

·
Registered
241 Posts
Ah yes, slightly lower temps, but you have some of the best roads in the world right in your back yard my friend, i love riding palomar

·
Registered
877 Posts
RE: Fell in Love Again

Some LTD for ya.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts