·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
You sure do like farkling around !
First time I've heard the word.
I thought you were trying to start a trend or something
Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I'm amazed that this 'farkling' word seems to be so often new to some folks; I've been using it and seeing it used by numerous others for very many years on Forums of all (motorbiking) descriptions. As I've said before, it's a useful bit of shorthand - nothing more, nothing less. And regrettably I've been sort-of laid-up recently with back problems that have severely restricted my outings, so farkling has been a worthwhile substitute to riding - just! :(

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Hmm I do like the extra lights...

Inexpensive, effective, easy enough to install with a little ingenuity needed when it comes to finding a location for them...

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
GIVI SCREEN UPDATE (see post # 36 above) After a 201km circuit today in balmy 30 deg C weather, I was able to judge the performance of this new addition. The top of the screen is fairly flat and square, and I found that the wind-blast hits me squarely at the bottom of my helmet , thereby pushing wind up and into the helmet - ideal on days like today, maybe less so at a minus temp in freezing rain!

I'm happy, and if I need more I have an unused deflector in the drawer here that I could always add as and if needed.. :)

Reactions: betoney

·
Registered
109 Posts
Beware of cheaper imitations! I have in the past, and once only, inadvertently ordered similar-looking items with near-identical names, and they were so thin that I could almost see through them when they were held up to the light!
I've seen these before and used a cheaper knock-off ones on my old 250 (they were about same thickness). They were nice and thought about it on the XSR, but since swapping bars/grips haven't the need haha.

I agree the slight increase in diameter is nice but the ProGrips feels just as good, and no vibration with the new bar.

Reactions: Wordsmith

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #46 (Edited)
Today's farkle involved the installation of an R&G radiator screen that I actually bought about a month ago, but have put-off fitting until now because of the complicated-looking instructions. They are very poor indeed - not so much the written words but the accompanying pictures that resemble take-outs from a very old very shaky black-and-white movie of the 1920s. Nothing of value is discernible in the photos, and they are utterly useless. Boo! to R&G, especially in these days when excellent CAD drawings can be produced at the drop of a hat.

But despite the crap photos fitting the screen is actually relatively straightforward although very fiddly indeed, with next to nil manoeuvering room to remove then reinstall the two main mounting bolts, then flat out on my back on the garage floor under the bike to make the final zip-tie connection. And finding then that I will have to make a new mounting bracket for the new-ish STEBEL Magnum horn as it touches the new screen - but not R&G's fault, that!

It pains me to have to do so, and in a very long farkling career this is a first, but I cannot recommend this particular item: I'm sure it will work well enough but is a king-size PITA to install.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #47 (Edited)
In fairness to R&G, they responded (italics below) within a few hours to the copy of my above post which I sent to them. Many manufacturers would not have done so. The good news is on line 2:

"As you can imagine we try and offer the best level of protection for all bikes, some are a lot easier to install than others, this one happens to be a little bit more fiddley than others.
We are in the process of updating all our instructions to colour in an hi res finish.
If there is ever an issue with fitting our products you can view and download the instructions online".

A good response - well done R&G. But I should add that there is no mention in the instruction sheet that came with the rad guard of on-line installation advice.

41 - 47 of 47 Posts