Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
Put the Magnum on.... It's definitely lower sound than the stock, but also louder and more throaty. I like my bike to sound like a truck!

Not as awesome as the dual tone Nautilus on my FJ, but also much easier install!

Seriously hanging for my tail tidy and screen!
Ive been trying to find a way to mount a nautilus on the 09......people in upstate NY just do not pay attention.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Ive been trying to find a way to mount a nautilus on the 09......people in upstate NY just do not pay attention.
I wasn't willing to do the (small) rewire on a brand new bike.

The Magnum is close (and easy fit).
Real difference is the two tone sound of the Nautilus.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I think that's the whole purpose of the horn on any vehicle, to act as an 'Audible Warning Device' as BMW calls it in their handbooks, and not as an aggressive weapon. I live between two very popular holiday spots, and often see drivers pulling a caravan (trailer) slowly driving along looking left and right as if searching for a sign to a caravan (trailer) park. Clearly, their minds are on things other than other traffic! A short and respectful 'blip' draws their attention to me and I feel safer than if I'd blithely moved on without letting them know I'm there!

And flocks of carnivorous birds - crows and kites and the like - will often gather at a piece of roadside freshly-killed wildlife in the Outback here, and after slowing right down to allow them to be aware of my presence a longer blast is necessary to get them to scatter in all directions.

Reactions: betoney

·
Registered
56 Posts
Tagging onto Wordsmith's Farkle path...

Added some TechSpec grips. Review after I've done some km's with them.
I think eventually I will need to get something to lift foot peg height so my knees are into the tank.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #25 (Edited)
Lookin' good! I don't know what if anything Yamaha can offer in the foot-peg-lifting department, but on my late BMW R9T I installed an excellent Knight Design ( ex USA) foot-peg lowering kit, and I'd be sure they offer what you want. Very easily installation too, and beautifully-made. Not cheap at AUD$269, but made a lot of difference to comfort on the bike, which is what you may be seeking..

Reactions: JimmyRaven

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
The small select and reset buttons just under the display screen are tiny, and the inset lettering on the black rubber buttons is almost impossible to read in almost any light. No big deal, as these buttons are not in frequent use, perhaps, but it bugged me a little. So I took a fine paintbrush and some white acrylic (water-based) paint, roughly filled the indented letters with the paint, then immediately ran a sharp blade across the surface. This neatly lifted all the paint except that which remained showing the letters. Cost - nil: time taken - about 20 seconds: satisfaction factor - high!

Attachments

Reactions: Midnight

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Today's mail brought a pair of UK-sourced GRIP PUPPIES (AUD$34), always one of the very first things I add to any new bike. The increased diameter they give to the handlebar grips - the GPs are about 3mm thick - seems to make them more comfortable and dampens vibration, while the increased diameter gives, IMHO, slightly better 'feel' and control. Length, as always, had to be reduced by about 10mm, then they were the perfect fit.

Fitting GPs is not quite as simple as the instructions suggest - the benign "apply a little soapy water and slide them over your existing grips" has never worked for me. Instead, I smear a little liquid soap and water inside the GP and over the grip, and even then it requires quite a deal of forceful forward rotation of the soapy and wet GP to get it installed. But do not use a screwdriver or any sharp implement as a sort-of tyre-lever to get the GPs over the end of the grip - I always use the smooth handle of a teaspoon to start the process. Then - twist forwards hard while pushing the GP inwards, holding it with a towel which increases effectiveness and handily dries off excess water.

The cut-off bits end up in my junk-drawer, along with companions from many earlier other fittings, and the discarded disc horns I have collected over the years. One day I'll find a use for all these bits!

Beware of cheaper imitations! I have in the past, and once only, inadvertently ordered similar-looking items with near-identical names, and they were so thin that I could almost see through them when they were held up to the light!

·
Registered
109 Posts
I doubt it's going to be very effective even in this balmy clime where I live and mostly ride.
I saw QLD plates, are you SEQ? I'm up FNQ myself, nice ride. :)

Reactions: Wordsmith

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I saw QLD plates, are you SEQ? I'm up FNQ myself, nice ride. :)

Redland Bay, about 35km SE of Brisbane CBD. I love your neck of the woods, especially that highway between T'ville and Charters Towers. I was up to Cooktown and back almost 12 months ago on my earlier Tracer GT, a 4300km circuit. Fabulous riding!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Redland Bay, about 35km SE of Brisbane CBD. I love your neck of the woods, especially that highway between T'ville and Charters Towers. I was up to Cooktown and back almost 12 months ago on my earlier Tracer GT, a 4300km circuit. Fabulous riding!
Yeah, it's not too bad (I'm in Townsville). Nicer heading up to Cairns and hitting the Gillies. :)

Reactions: Wordsmith

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #34 (Edited)
HERE'S AN EARLIER THOUGHT ON THE TERM 'FARKLING'...

'This strange word 'farkle' - and its offshoots farkling, farkled, to farkle - has unknown origins according to the very many discussions about it that I have read over equally very many years. It's generally understood to mean adding or fitting parts to a motorbike (whether or not it also applies to other vehicles is also unknown) to enhance performance, safety, appearance, all in the eye of the beholder, of course. Dr GOOGLE will tell you that it's a combination of 'function' and 'sparkle', but I find that a bit tenuous and tortuous and don't accept it, FWIW. I have farkled to death many bikes, less so planned for the next!'

Whatever its origins, I find 'farkle' and its many offshoots to be useful shorthand, and it seems to be widely used and understood on many motorcycle websites!

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #35 (Edited)
Being a little stiff and sore from yesterday's 188km outing - the first for a while - I took a rest-day today and engaged in a little more farkling. Having some exterior-grade 'blurple' pvc sheet left-over from my Tracer GT days, I applied a couple of small panels to my newly-bought 26L top-box, purely to liven up that fitting. It's not an exact colour match, but close enough to satisfy me, and on the bike will be far enough away from the closest blurple part - the rear wheel rim - to not be too off-putting. Pic below - the in-the-flesh colour is closer to the roll of pvc nearby than to the top-box piece.

(JR - plenty left if you'd need some).

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #36 (Edited)
This GIVI screen installation is one of my more important farkles, as it should improve my comfort on the new bike, giving a little protection from the wind. It offers a medium height and quite wide degree of protection for the rider, although I wouldn’t want to be commuting regularly in rain, hail, or snow behind it – a barn-door comes into the picture then!

The GIVI screen #A2132 in a pleasing light grey (gray) tint arrived from Italy within ten days of ordering, pretty good in these coronavirus days. I bought it from a major Italian dealership – Motostorm - with whom I have a good relationship from many previous purchases, and their helpful approach to customers is always welcome, with no language difficulties either. Motostorm can be found at <motostorm.it>. I recommend them.

Some confusion and concern arose on my part as the documentation that came with the package referred only to a 2017 MT-09, although I had been very specific in my ordering for my 2020 model – I was quite unaware if the two were identical.

The four all-important mounting brackets resembled a jigsaw puzzle designed by Prof Rubik-Cube and were quite different to those pictured in the installation instructions (which were very poor indeed), so I shot off a quick e-mail to Italy. Within 28 minutes - believe it or not - back came a helpful reply with further – correct – illustrations, and so with some initial misgivings I was able to suss-out the issues and finally make sense of it all. From that point it was plain sailing, maybe forty minutes careful work, fiddly rather than difficult, and I’m pleased with the result.

The screen itself is an attractive and complex moulded acrylic shape about 2mm thick, its angular shape with sharp ‘fins’ coming off the top and sides giving it an appearance of having come off a Stealth fighter drawing-board! The four steel brackets are about the same thickness, nicely laser-cut, and well-finished in a matte black crinkle paint, and being solidly-mounted onto the bike the brackets will also give me two secure mounting points for my front-facing DRL LEDs.

A swift outing today showed me that the screen is, indeed, quite effective in this balmy sub-tropic clime where I live and ride, and quite good value at AUD$191, shipped.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
When is a farkle not a farkle? Is it necessary for a farkle to be permanently attached to the bike – as in a new seat, better mirrors, additional lights, fluorescent plastic streamers on the ‘bar ends?

Whatever – my latest farkle is attached to the bike more often than not, being an extremely useful rear paddock stand that has three pairs of swivelling casters (two are braked) to allow it to be moved easily with one had around the garage. With no centre-stand on the MT-09 SP, this paddock stand makes manoeuvering the bike so easy – and also provides a stable and level platform when working on the bike.

I had a similar paddock stand with my late BMW R9T (the red unit pictured below), and said more than once that I wish I’d had one years ago, main stand or not. Many BMWs and Ducatis with single-sided swingarms have a hole in place of a rear-wheel axle, so the BMW’s stand carried a solid ~58mm diameter shaft that fitted into the rear hub. The MT’s stand has the more conventional pair of ‘hooks’ that line-up with a bobbin on either side of the swing-arm, equally as good and easy to use.

The makers of this stand, Anderson Stands in NSW, name it their ‘Spacesaver’ model. They can be found at PO Box 406, Nth Richmond, NSW 2754. 1300 122 456. When the R9T was laid-up earlier this year for many weeks and outings were not permitted due to coronavirus I shoved the bike into a corner of the garage out of the way, but if I needed to access anything it was a moment’s work to wheel the bike out. Brilliant!

Reactions: betoney

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Very heavy but equally very welcome rain today, so I passed a few happy hours inside making-up a pair of simple brackets and installing my new LEDs to act as conspicuity lights, or DRLs. They are not yet wired-in. I've had many pairs of these LEDs, all looking as if they came out of the same factory, although these are branded 'SAFEGO', and all have performed faultlessly. At AUD$43 delivered they are well-priced too.

The brackets that carry the new GIVI screen handily provided a suitable mounting-point for the LEDs, which place them at what I'm told is the most effective position to maximise visibility, being high up and wide apart, forming a 'triangle of light' with the bike's headlights. Pix below.

Attachments

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Wired-in the front LEDs today, which as usual was a job that took me far longer than it should have! But all systems are go now - brighter than a thousand suns!

Note the hi-viz 'triangle of light' in pic 2, mentioned earlier. No excuses now for a SMIDSY! Just need now to orient the LEDs properly so I don't get too many annoyed flashes from oncoming cars.

·
Registered
61 Posts
You sure do like farkling around !

First time I've heard the word.

I thought you were trying to start a trend or something

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

21 - 40 of 47 Posts