Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
First farkle was the removal by the dealer of the fugly OE rear fender-with-an-arm, replacing it (at no cost to me, part of the purchase deal) with a much neater - and lighter - simple plate and lights carrier. This will also provide a neat and suitable location for my on-order SKENE rear flashing/ pulsing brake-operated LEDs.

Second farkle also carried out at the dealership before delivery was the fitting of a small fly-screen and bracket (cost inc fitting a discounted $200). I doubt it's going to be very effective even in this balmy clime where I live and mostly ride, but we shall see, although its style does suit the bike and it covers up that rather fussy front-end above the lights.

·
Registered
48 Posts
looks good...
Im waiting on my pre-ordered farkles

shouldnt the tail tidy have a little red reflector on it?

Ive got Oggy nobs and axle sliders, rad guard, tail tidy and a bigger screen coming

also ordered the tech spec grips, and a stebel magnum....

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
looks good...
Im waiting on my pre-ordered farkles

shouldnt the tail tidy have a little red reflector on it?

Ive got Oggy nobs and axle sliders, rad guard, tail tidy and a bigger screen coming

also ordered the tech spec grips, and a stebel magnum....

Thanks, JR. Good point on the red reflector - I'll get one asap. The tail tidy is ex the USA so maybe they have different regs.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Tonight's farkle could hardly be simpler or less expensive - adding a pair of 2" 'blind spot' auxiliary mirrors to the OE mirrors. I've done so to just about every bike I've owned in recent years, appreciating the panoramic view they give of what's lurking or coming up behind. About AUD$11 a pair, but much cheaper on-line if you can afford the wait.

I also wired-up the battery tender/ charger (an Optimate 4 device that is excellent), simply connecting the leads to the positive and negative battery terminals, leaving the fused SAE snap-connector ready for quick access without needing removal of the seat. Should keep the battery in tip-top condition.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've read here that the small size and close proximity of the buttons on the lower edge of the lhs switch block are easily confused while riding, especially if thick glover are being worn, and 'misses' occur - been there, done that on other bikes!

So as before, I fixed this with cheap and quick trick - I simply took one of those tiny 11mm diameter silicone 'bumpers' ('surface protectors' or whatever), cut a slice off each side vertically to reduce its width, removed the adhesive, and stuck it onto the indicator switch with superglue, securing it to cure with a strip of masking tape. Et violin - that should help! Pic below.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Today's farkle involved the installation of the Stebel Magnum horn - High Power 500Hz - which arrived today a mere five days after ordering at a cost of AUD$25.95.

My doggie has squeaky toys that are more attention-grabbing than the OE horn fitted to most if not all new bikes these day - the Magnum is not appreciably louder than stock, IMO, but its deeper note does seem to be more penetrating and effective. This is the umpteenth Magnum I've installed on a variety of BMWs and Yamahas, and I now have the world's largest collection of discarded disc horns.

Like most such installations it was a ten-minute job that took an hour. Getting the new horn to fit into that tight space was fiddly rather than difficult, and involved much standing on my head and trial-and-error bending of the bracket and several trial-fits before I got it right.

A cuppla tips if I may - put a thick towel over the front fender while working there: and ensure that the open horn points downwards by a least a few degrees to keep water out: I once drowned a Magnum horn while carelessly hosing the bike down!

It's not the prettiest installation, but will do the job. Pix below.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks! The packaging says 500 Hz, but how would I know? - but just tried it and it's plenty loud enough! I might redo it later with a slightly stronger bracket as I don't want it to maybe move or vibrate slightly and end-up touching the radiator!

·
Registered
48 Posts
the 410 is a lower sound... I went and you tubed the different sounds...
online auto parts where I got it have a youtube video showing both

·
Registered
48 Posts
Put the Magnum on.... It's definitely lower sound than the stock, but also louder and more throaty. I like my bike to sound like a truck!

Not as awesome as the dual tone Nautilus on my FJ, but also much easier install!

Seriously hanging for my tail tidy and screen!

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Put the Magnum on.... It's definitely lower sound than the stock, but also louder and more throaty. I like my bike to sound like a truck!
Not as awesome as the dual tone Nautilus on my FJ, but also much easier install!
Seriously hanging for my tail tidy and screen!
What screen have you ordered, JR? The tiny Yamaha screen on my SP looks OK but is hardly likely to provide much if any protection - I'm trying to source a GIVI A2132.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I requested a taller touring screen - so that's what Im expecting.
Im only short so it should make a difference!
If not, I will go in search of a custom. I got a really nice custom blue one for my FJ from a supplier north Brisbane somehwere (cant remember exactly).

I got my Tech Spec grips today... so should put them on tomorrow.
The QuadLock for the phone got put on today also.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
bit confused with your obsession on horns on this forum. How often do you actually need it ? I can't recall a time in the past decade i needed a horn on a motorbike

That's you - this is us.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have just ordered the GIVI screen from the large Italian motorcycle accessories house <motostorm.it>. I have made many purchases from them over the years, some being quite costly, and always had excellent service and no issues with language - I highly recommend them. :)

Screen will be despatched by Oct 6th and they tell me to expect 6 to 10 days to arrive. Very good price - EU116, or AUD$191 including shipping. Pix and words later.

Reactions: JimmyRaven

·
Registered
48 Posts
bit confused with your obsession on horns on this forum. How often do you actually need it ? I can't recall a time in the past decade i needed a horn on a motorbike
Having a decent horn has saved me at least 3 times in the last few years.
Its one of those things where I hardly use it, but damn when I need it... its worth having the right tool for the job!

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Having a decent horn has saved me at least 3 times in the last few years.
Its one of those things where I hardly use it, but damn when I need it... its worth having the right tool for the job!

Could not agree more! There are days - many days - when the horn doesn't need to be touched, and other days when it does. Doesn't have to be a long aggressive leaning on the horn button, often just a simple tap and warning toot will suffice. There's a reason why they are fitted to road-vehicles!

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Clearly. But no need to be condescending about it.
Frankly, I found your comment to be patronizing and condescending as if in some way your alleged non-use of the horn makes you superior! We are all different. You may well live and ride in an entirely traffic-free environment.

·
Registered
2016 xsr 900
690 Posts
I personally think that having a horn has saved me on several occasions. I developed the habit of sounding a few short toot's whenever I'm entering a blind corner on narrow roads. Several times I've rounded those same corners to see oncoming traffic already 'swerving' back onto their own side of the road. I believe that without the fore-warning any one of those moments might have been an accident. Also useful when there is an animal (large) standing on the shoulder and you dont' know which way its going to run - a horn blast will usually end the stand off and get the animal moving.

Reactions: Wordsmith
1 - 20 of 47 Posts