Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Falling in love with the FZ-09 - is it the bike for me? *Test ride in the rain*

I have been searching and reading for the last couple of weeks - finaly decided to make a post.

I got my motorcycle lisence 3 months ago, and bought a brand new GSX650FA. I have made some adjustments to the bike (suspension, pegs, exhaust ++), and now it feels like a part of me when I ride it. I really do love her. However, after I saw a Street Rally I was screwed. It spoke to me. I needed to have that bike between my legs. My inner hooligan is wanting. Naturally I try to decend into this havoc with some sort of logical thinking. Therefore I would be most grateful if you could shed some light on some of my questions.

1. "Roadster motard"
I can't stop watching supermotards on youtube. It looks so damn fun. However since I use my bike as my main form of transportation a super motard is not the way to go. If only someone could make a crossover between a super motard and a street fighter. Something that will satisfy my inner hooligan, but at the same time take me to work each morning without any fuzz. Is the FZ-09 Street Rally a "roadster motard"? Can I go crazy on a gravel parking lot sliding around with my foot out but also comfortably commuting on it?

2. The dreadful highway
My biggest concern going form my GSX650FA which is applauded for it's great wind protection to a naked bike with no forward lean is commuting on the highway. I do 81 mph for 1 hour straight once a week one way. Is this something that I would hate doing on my FZ-09? (I am 6'2" if that mathers)

3. Trading bikes so soon?
My reason for buying the GSX650FA for a first bike was that it was an all-arounder. It was a bit sporty, a bit comfy, a bit touring, a bit forward lean, a bit powerful etc. My plan was to keep that bike for 1+year to see which kind of bike I would "specialize" in. Maybe I would end up with a GSX-R or perhaps a F800GS. But then that damn FZ-09 came along, eliminating any other alternatives. Also, I do want more power - my current bike producing about 86 hp in a very linear torque band. Nevertheless, why am I writing this? Because I worry about trading bikes so fast. Not to mention the deprecation. Will it be the same after I get the FZ-09, that I am looking for the next big thing? How about you - have you owned motorcycles for a short period of time before trading in - and kept trading in with short intervals? Or did you have a couple of brief ownerships of motorcycles when you started out until you found the "one" and kept it for a while?

These are the three questions I have. This post is very verbally written because I do have a lot of stuff flying around inside my head regarding this seductive bike, and this is the first time I have had a chance to vent. I hope you don't mind.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Saying that you have been riding for only three months and that you "inner hooligan" wants to come out and that you want more power, because 86 hp isn't enough tells me enough. Keep your bike (which is too much anyway) and give it a year.

You will take a hit on any new bike. That's inherent with any new vehicle purchase.

The FZ is fine for an hour commute. My cruiser with the windshield was much better than the FZ, but that's a given. If you are older yet still a new rider, your insurance could likely be higher than you would like.

Be safe. The FZ is not a drag your feet in gravel kind of bike. You have an oil pan that you need to worry about hitting. This thing is a street bike. They are supposedly coming our with an FJ touring version though.

If you are young, your insurance will be high on this bike and especially high for any sport bike or super sport. W

Anyway, you likely don't want to hear this, but wait on the new bike and slow down.

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
There are no street rallys in the U.S.....which I assumed you are located...by your MPH instead of Km/h. Jen gave you some very good advice and you would be wise to heed it. Three months on a motorcycle is like being a newborn baby trying to compete in the Olympics in the 100 meter dash.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Saying that you have been riding for only three months and that you "inner hooligan" wants to come out and that you want more power, because 86 hp isn't enough tells me enough. Keep your bike (which is too much anyway) and give it a year.

You will take a hit on any new bike. That's inherent with any new vehicle purchase.

The FZ is fine for an hour commute. My cruiser with the windshield was much better than the FZ, but that's a given. If you are older yet still a new rider, your insurance could likely be higher than you would like.

Be safe. The FZ is not a drag your feet in gravel kind of bike. You have an oil pan that you need to worry about hitting. This thing is a street bike. They are supposedly coming our with an FJ touring version though.

If you are young, your insurance will be high on this bike and especially high for any sport bike or super sport. W

Anyway, you likely don't want to hear this, but wait on the new bike and slow down.
Thank you for replying. Yeah, I'm probably begging to get shot down regarding wanting more power as a new rider. Good to hear that the bike is good for commuting. Insurance shouldn't be a problem. I will wait until the spring (at the earliest) to make a decision, so your advice on waiting is sound. I don't expect it to be an offroad bike - but how would it handle on a good gravel road (no big potholes etc)?

Madgelo
This is closer to a motorad:
I read up on that bike. It is indeed a good alternative, sexy, a bit too much on the super moto side perhaps - but seems like KTM have bought Husquerna and eliminated the Nuda. It's a shame. Any other bikes you know of like the Nuda?

triplethreat
There are no street rallys in the U.S.....which I assumed you are located...by your MPH instead of Km/h. Jen gave you some very good advice and you would be wise to heed it. Three months on a motorcycle is like being a newborn baby trying to compete in the Olympics in the 100 meter dash.
Haha, sorry for the unintentional deception - I am located in Norway (Scandinavia). I chose to post in this forum as it seemed to be the most active one. I used MPH as a courtesy. Indeed, Jen did give some good advice. I was not aware that the Street Rally was not sold in the US, however as I understand it's the same bike - just a new seat and some plastic.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I think it's pretty normal to want more power as a learner. I went from a totally inappropriate RG250 2 stroke on my restricted license, straight onto a GSXR1100 about a month before my full license. Dude... riding is a lifelong obsession. You're not likely to find your perfect bike without quite a few years saddle time, and riding as many bikes as you can. Everyone's different too... I'm settling down now, and keeping bikes longterm. My R1 is 9 years old, my RSV4 is 4, both bought new. But I've been through many 2 year cycles with bikes as well. All you can do is get suggestions from others. What you ride, how suitable it is and how long you keep it, is up to you. :)

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
Okay, this always chaps me. If you are worried about depreciation, DONT TRADE IN BIKES. They don't give you the value of the bike, they give you less, only exacerbating the depreciation. It's almost as if people LOVE giving money away. Keep it, or sell it yourself.

I always swap bikes every 24 months or so. But, I also never pay MSRP, because I shop around, I deal, and I pay cash so I'm not losing money with interest payments. I paid as much for my 09 as many people are asking for them used now... There will always be depreciation, and that does come into play, because you shouldn't be irresponsible with your wealth. If you are so wealthy that you don't give a thought to depreciation, I hope you are donating A LOT to charity. My last three bikes:

New BKing $8500 OTD
New Speed Triple $9300 OTD
New FZ09 $7900 OTD

If you insist on paying retail, I'd stay away from numerous bike swaps.

I know myself, and I don't give into these grand illusions that I will somehow keep this bike forever and so it is worthwhile paying a certain amount, blah blah... I won't keep it, it's an interim step, I've been riding for 20 years, there is always a new and exciting prospect, you better realize that now.

But, to the other points already covered. This is not a beginner bike, and you are a beginner.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
This weekend, the sales guy at the local shop told me that he sold an FZ to a guy who is about 200 lbs. On the street, the guy hit a bit of a bump and destroyed the oil pan. There was a thread somewhere about the FZ as an off-road bike and the issues with the oil pan...found it.

http://www.fz09.org/forum/34-yamaha...2-cracked-oil-pan-ground-clearence-issue.html

(As for depreciation, I just got a Camaro...drove a WRX this weekend, I have 1k miles on the Camaro. I was wondering what the trade-in would be. I would take a 6k hit and that's owning it for a little while with practically no miles. If you buy something new, you really need to keep it for or while if you don't want to take a hit)

·
Registered
464 Posts
I agree with Jen and triple threat. After 3 months you shouldnt have any thoughts to be a hooligan, you just don't have the experience. Also there's a big difference between hooligan and aggressive riding. What I suggest you do is keep your bike and actually ride it as long as it takes for you to get comfortable in all situations. One thing to remember is just because you CAN ride a motorcycle, doesn't mean you know HOW to ride one. Keep your bike for now, there will always be deals in the future. Also if your really looking to slide around supermoto style, then why not just buy a supermoto? Much cheaper than a street bike and better to be a hooligan. Also you drop a supermoto/dirtbike and its fine, drop a brand new fz and you'll be pissed. Find a used drz400 or something

·
Registered
226 Posts
It sounds like you're assuming that Viking is a teenager who has only been riding 3 months... He may be a 30 year old multiple motocross champion for all we know. What's the story, Viking? :confused:

·
Registered
189 Posts
09 is my first bike and Im glad i didn't buy something weaker. It is fun, good looking and relatively cheap. I had a couple of close calls (of my own doing) when I was getting bit too confident and I am not a reckless person, i rather like my limbs and life.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It sounds like you're assuming that Viking is a teenager who has only been riding 3 months... He may be a 30 year old multiple motocross champion for all we know. What's the story, Viking? :confused:
Hehe, thank you carbonr1, you have defentively given me the benefit of the doubt in both your posts. Appreciate the positivity.

I am indeed a novice when it comes to riding on the street, and I know I need to be humble in regards to motorcycles. It probably have not come across, but I am a somewhat cautious and risico avert person. Im all about calculated risc. Riding in full leathers with back protector ++ I am far from any motorcross champion, but I have ridden dirtbikes since I was 10 year old (26 year old now). Even owned a road legal Yamaha Raptor 350 a couple of years ago (miss her). I have done about 5000 miles on my GSX the last 3 months, and we have a very strict learning program for getting your license in Norway (costing around 3900 usd to complete/get license). But still, there is no way around it, I am a noob as the internet lingo puts it.

Still, that does not change the fact that I want a Street Rally. In retrospect, going with the word hooligan was not the best choice, but beeing able to do a wheelie once in a while would be most welcome.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I never recommend a high torque bike to a beginner street rider. It's just asking for trouble in a curve & low speed cornering.

Wait a year, first. Your health insurance company will thank you.

Reactions: RBC

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
My brother has a Husky SM610 and I do not like it at all, and I have an extensive motocross background. I had a WR250R that I converted to a supermoto/dirt hybrid and it got old real quick. Bring some Vaseline with you if plan on trading so soon. Also, you may want to browse through all of the threads of people that have crashed this bike. I have never seen anything like it in the 43 years that I have been riding.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Wheelies are what you want...? Good grief, I used to wheelie on my 650 Nighthawk... It had a whopping 70 horsepower, weighed almost 500 lbs wet, and a fricking shaft drive!!

Any bike can wheelie. Even a Goodwing...

·
Registered
584 Posts
Hehe, thank you carbonr1, you have defentively given me the benefit of the doubt in both your posts. Appreciate the positivity.

I am indeed a novice when it comes to riding on the street, and I know I need to be humble in regards to motorcycles. It probably have not come across, but I am a somewhat cautious and risico avert person. Im all about calculated risc. Riding in full leathers with back protector ++ I am far from any motorcross champion, but I have ridden dirtbikes since I was 10 year old (26 year old now). Even owned a road legal Yamaha Raptor 350 a couple of years ago (miss her). I have done about 5000 miles on my GSX the last 3 months, and we have a very strict learning program for getting your license in Norway (costing around 3900 usd to complete/get license). But still, there is no way around it, I am a noob as the internet lingo puts it.

Still, that does not change the fact that I want a Street Rally. In retrospect, going with the word hooligan was not the best choice, but beeing able to do a wheelie once in a while would be most welcome.

Just curious about Norway... what are the posted speed limits? What's the penalty if you get a speeding citation? Are the penalties graduated... more citations = much higher penalties? And, tell us more about the $3900 class/training you took to get a license... sounds like a very thorough class compared to the almost zilch training required in the US.

Oh, BTW; the FZ-09 can hit like 80+ mph/135 km/hr in 2nd gear, very quickly, there are 4 more gears left... Maybe you have a "dragoon tattoo?"

IMHO, you're at the point where you can decide what you want! If you have the $$$ and that's what you want, do it. If you don't like it, you can sell it and get another one. So what? In 40 years the money will be a distant, faint memory but the motorcycle and the memories of that will stay large.

From what you've said, this could be the moto for you... with a few accessories it could be everything you want... w/s, shock, flash, skid-plate, luggage, etc.

good luck.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts