Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my FJ is 5 days old. Its my 10th bike in some 20 years, but now on two occasions it refused to start. Here is some additional info: Battery is fully charged. Bike was cold. Bike in Neutral. Thumbing the starter for 5-7 seconds produced no ignition, just turned over like no spark or no gas would cause. I am positive I give the bike no throttle when starting her. Here is the weird part, let off the starter then press the starter again right away and she fires up. This never happens for the rest of the day when the bike is warm. Anyone know what would cause this? Thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
When you first turn the key on, do you let the injectors prime for a couple of seconds before engaging the starter? Other people have noted a similar experience when the bike was new. If not already doing so, maybe try this method...

·
Registered
464 Posts
This he happened to me two or three times in the 2000 miles I have put on it, I always let me vehicles prime first then try and turn it over. It would just crank for 4 seconds or so then I stop and give it a second then crank again and it starts right away.

·
Registered
558 Posts
I had this happen a couple times when the bike was brand new, only when I went from off straight to start on the ignition switch, not stopping in the run position to let it finish priming. Just make sure you let the injectors prime before you try to start it and it should be fine.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Long shot. But worth checking. Look for the little two wire plug under the left set of controls on the bars for the clutch. Make sure it's seated all the way in. If bike is in neutral and you don't pull in clutch it won't start. Maybe it's loose. Sorry I don't know technical name for it.

Mine was totally unplugged when dealer delivered the bike. So I am aware of the little bugger more than I would have been if they did their job right.

·
Registered
987 Posts
^^^^ The clutch is not required to be pulled in to start the bike if it's in neutral; So the bike would only start in neutral and would not start if in gear.

Reactions: DECON BLUE

·
Registered
17 Posts
Mine did the same in the first few months of ownership and i always gave it a few seconds to let the injectors do their thing. Always fired up instantly on the second try. Give it some time to break in the engine and my guess is this will happen less as you put miles on it. At least that's what my experience was like. Don't think you have any reason to worry.

·
Registered
852 Posts
^^^^ The clutch is not required to be pulled in to start the bike if it's in neutral; So the bike would only start in neutral and would not start if in gear.
Whoops! Never mind. Ignore my post please.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
So my FJ is 5 days old. Its my 10th bike in some 20 years, but now on two occasions it refused to start. Here is some additional info: Battery is fully charged. Bike was cold. Bike in Neutral. Thumbing the starter for 5-7 seconds produced no ignition, just turned over like no spark or no gas would cause. I am positive I give the bike no throttle when starting her. Here is the weird part, let off the starter then press the starter again right away and she fires up. This never happens for the rest of the day when the bike is warm. Anyone know what would cause this? Thanks for any advice.
Had this exact problem with my FZ and it would do it consistently. I reset the ECU by disconnecting the battery for a while and it hasn't done it since.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Mine does the same thing and has done so intermittently since new, 7500mi ago. The advice on letting the injectors prime/fuel pump prime is fine, except that with my bike, I always (as in every single time without fail) have turned the key on, slid the slider to run, waited, and then slid to start. The bike periodically does not prime itself, sometimes it will start anyway, other times, it won't start, and then primes and will start.

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
This has been discussed before. Check the wires to the clutch perch that are linked to the kickstand defeater, don't use the kill switch to turn off the bike, and wait for the dash to stop flashing (injectors primed) if you can't hear the fuel pump because of ear protection to light it up.

Also, since I junked the stock battery and went with a Shorai, my bike lights up a lot easier. Higher cranking amps.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Again today, after letting the ecu fully cycle, the bike did not want to start. It was strange this time as is chugged twice like it was going to start, then didn't, on the third chug it turned over but the rpms fluctuated back and forth between 1000-2000 several times, finally idling normally after several seconds. This is not a normal startup.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Try that ^^^ (disconnect the negative battery lead for a few seconds)
Mine was also like that at first, but it would start right up after the second cycle. Key on, cycle, key off... key on, cycle, vroom! Now mine will start on the coldest day without an injector prime.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Just take it back to the dealer, it's still under warranty.

It'll help them out if you show them a video of it not starting.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
There's some learned parameter in the ECU that causes the OP's problem. Key on, wait, switch from run to start and crank crank crank as long as you want, it won't start. Leaving the key on, releasing the starter briefly and cranking a second time, it will fire right up. Mine started doing this exact thing every morning when it started getting colder last fall. I reset the ECU and it hasn't done it since. That is why I recommend resetting the ECU.

The unplugged clutch switches and evap can issues on CA bikes are unrelated to OP's issue.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I reset the ecu, no avail. I took it to the dealer yesterday, they were clueless. They will call Yami tomorrow for advice and then want to keep my bike for several days, probably to check tire pressure.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I'll look forward to the OPs experience with the dealer/mothership, but I'm of the belief that this is no big deal. A quirk, a software glitch, but not problematic. Mine always starts. The more I read about stuff on the internet, the more I become aware that Yamaha has trouble with the same issues across its bikes. Bad CCT, runs cold in the winter, won't start, horrible clutch baskets that make the engine feel like it isn't smooth and on and on....

·
Registered
2 Posts
I suffered from the same issue for many months with my MT (FZ). I finally had the dealer take the bike in a month ago. Instead of testing it before they tried a solution they applied the fix first, so I have no info on what causes the problem to occur.

The dealer reflashed the latest version back onto the ECU. Since then It has started first time 34 of out 36 starts (before it was the inverse). The only other thing they did was the recall but I doubt that affected the situation

1 - 20 of 40 Posts