Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I have been a lurker since I bought my Mt-09 brand new in 2019 but it is now time for me to officialy join you since i'm having problems myself.
I have bought and installed the OEM quickshifter myself, following the instructions very carefully. It has been working flawlesly for a month or so and it suddently stopped functionning.

Here is the clues i have found so far:

-Looked at the quickshifter cable and connexion under the tank and everything seems A1.

-Bike wouldn't start in first with clutch pulled but it does if I bypass the clutch switch. So I guess that switch is bad.

-If I remove the bypass (bike sees the clutch lever as released) and go for a ride, quickshifter doesn't work. If i put it on the rear stand, quickshifter works.

Could it be the clutch switch? Why would the quickshifer work on the rear stand but not on the road?
Is there a safety feature cutting the quickshifter if the ECU doesn't see the clutch switch change state?
I'm gessing that if it does, that feature could be disabled when the bike has only one wheel spinning.

Thanks,

Phil

·
Registered
532 Posts
Hi guys,

I have been a lurker since I bought my Mt-09 brand new in 2019 but it is now time for me to officialy join you since i'm having problems myself.
I have bought and installed the OEM quickshifter myself, following the instructions very carefully. It has been working flawlesly for a month or so and it suddently stopped functionning.

Here is the clues i have found so far:

-Looked at the quickshifter cable and connexion under the tank and everything seems A1.

-Bike wouldn't start in first with clutch pulled but it does if I bypass the clutch switch. So I guess that switch is bad.

-If I remove the bypass (bike sees the clutch lever as released) and go for a ride, quickshifter doesn't work. If i put it on the rear stand, quickshifter works.

Could it be the clutch switch? Why would the quickshifer work on the rear stand but not on the road?
Is there a safety feature cutting the quickshifter if the ECU doesn't see the clutch switch change state?
I'm gessing that if it does, that feature could be disabled when the bike has only one wheel spinning.

Thanks,

Phil
Aftermarket clutch lever? If so try putting the OEM one back on. And while you are at it clean the clutch switch with contact cleaner, make sure all contacts are clean and tight and coat with dielectric grease, grease clutch pivot.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes indeed. I tought about it too, but for the time the quickshifter worked, it was this those levers.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Yes indeed. I tought about it too, but for the time the quickshifter worked, it was this those levers.
I have seen aftermarket clutch levers inconsistently give problems. It would be a "free" thing to try. Otherwise recheck all your QS install again. I'm not much help beyond that. Good luck

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Reactions: Philbo

·
Registered
277 Posts
have you tried putting it on the stand, disabling the QS on the bike, re-seating the connection, then re-enabling the QS?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have tried, yes. QS light wont go off, that's why at first I tought the sensor was broken, but then, I put the bike on the rear stand and the QS works.
I have contacted my local dealer and the mechanic told me that the quickshifter wont work if the clutch switch is bad. It seems the ECU recognizes that there is a problem if the state of the switch never changes.

Thank you for your answers guys. I ordered a clutch switch and I'll keep you updated if it fixes my issue.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
If your clutch switch is not working, neither will the quick shifter.

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey guys,
posting this hoping that it might be of use to someone. Having installed the quickshifter myself, Yamaha wouldnt consider a refund/exchange so I took the quickshifter appart. There is 2 phillips screws to remove to gain access to the switch. After doing some research, I found that it is a Alps alpine SPVQ361600. The contact used is NO and it gives 22ohm when it should be open. Dealer told me that I have to order a new 300$can quickshifter but it ends up being a faulty 7$ switch.

·
Premium Member
2,528 Posts
Phil, please don't say you're off the bike all this time. You started this thread 2 months ago and it seems to be ongoing. What happened?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Nah, dont worry. The bike has been ridden all along ! Covid delays everywhere man. Took 3 weeks to get into the dealership to see if they could find something. Then about 16 days to get the answer from yamaha. I just ended up removing the QS yesterday and tought I should open it up before throwing it in the bin !
Edit:not throwing it away after all. It should be an easy fix.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Take a multi-meter to the clutch switch.
Can test it in about 5 seconds. Rule it out. :)

Also, make sure your aftermarket levers are engaging it properly.
This was my issue with my cruise control not working. The levers didn't depress the nub. (was all cattywompus.)

Edit:
One more word of wisdom:
Be very careful trying to back out the screw holding the switch.
For whatever reason, my screw just about crumbled when trying to back it out. Make sure you get a very well fitting screwdriver on it, and maybe give it a few taps to help loosen it before torquing on it. Maybe it was just mine, but that sucker stripped faster than anything.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Clutch switch is new ! I tested it and it seemed a bit sticky. Not a very expensive part so I started there but unfortunately didnt fix the issue and yeah, I did destroy that screw !!
It broke inside so I had to drill it carefully and tap some new threads. It was a bit of a headache and a lot of swearing:ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
370 Posts
Clutch switch is new ! I tested it and it seemed a bit sticky. Not a very expensive part so I started there but unfortunately didnt fix the issue and yeah, I did destroy that screw !!
It broke inside so I had to drill it carefully and tap some new threads. It was a bit of a headache and a lot of swearing:ROFLMAO:
Yepppp!
I don't know what they made that screw out of, but I'm guessing saw dust and glue!

·
Registered
169 Posts
Thanks for updating. I have the Yam QS as well. Although I've not had a problem with it, it's good to know Yam won't cover user installs and also good to know it's a cheap part to replace outside Yam.

Reactions: Philbo
1 - 14 of 14 Posts