Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My fuel indicator started flashing and the F-trip indicator came on, how far have you guys rode this out on your bikes?

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
I've never tested it myself, but I seem to recall reading in another thread somewhere that about 22-25 miles were to be had after the f-trip meter comes on.

·
Registered
131 Posts
My fuel indicator started flashing and the F-trip indicator came on, how far have you guys rode this out on your bikes?
My advice? DON'T try to test the limits. I've gone 28 miles before a fill up. I've also had it run out at 21. The temps were in the 30s. That wasn't fun!

·
Registered
835 Posts
Is F-trip the indication that you need to get your ass to a gas station?

I was wondering if the bars would flash or if it would just drop from 1 bar to none when I ran out.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Is F-trip the indication that you need to get your ass to a gas station?

I was wondering if the bars would flash or if it would just drop from 1 bar to none when I ran out.
It will start to blink and will indicate how many miles you've gone since it started blinking.

·
Registered
337 Posts
It will start to blink and will indicate how many miles you've gone since it started blinking.
+1, pretty much the replacement for old manual reserve petcocks - when it comes on you are using the last bit of gas before walking. Throttle input, temp, exhaust, FI controller, etc will all play into how much actual mileage you will get after it comes on, I would think 20 is a safe number if you are easy on the gas.

·
Registered
835 Posts
+1, pretty much the replacement for old manual reserve petcocks - when it comes on you are using the last bit of gas before walking. Throttle input, temp, exhaust, FI controller, etc will all play into how much actual mileage you will get after it comes on, I would think 20 is a safe number if you are easy on the gas.
I'd worry about running out of gas so I'd probably WOT until I find a station!

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I rode about 10 miles on the low fuel and filled up with 2.9 gallons. It has been cold out so my mileage wasn't great, but it sure beats my car :p

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
My first day riding I tested the ftrip out. I carried some extra gas and rod til the engine died. I had about 26 miles on the f trip. added the 20 oz of fuel and rode a few blocks and filled it to 1/4 ABOVE the bottom of the filler neck and put in 3.9 gal total.

Reactions: marthy

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
My first day riding I tested the ftrip out. I carried some extra gas and rod til the engine died. I had about 26 miles on the f trip. added the 20 oz of fuel and rode a few blocks and filled it to 1/4 ABOVE the bottom of the filler neck and put in 3.9 gal total.
End up doing your little mod. Rag, punch and hammer did the job. I'll find out in the next few hours how much range I get. Riding to Daytona this am... 200 miles.

·
Registered
473 Posts
3/4 of a gallon left when that light comes on. 20-30 miles max depending on fuel economy. It's nice that you get a mileage counter as soon as you hit the reserve.

·
Registered
160 Posts
the most i ever got was 31 miles and it died about a quarter mile from the gas station but it died at a light and i let it sit for a second then it turned green and it started again and i got to the gas station and it died again haha i rode it reallllly easy though to get 31 miles out of the f-trip and when i filled it back up i got all 3.7 gallons in it

·
Registered
276 Posts
Who does this? On the first day out?
Ha! You are one serious mileage man.
I wonder if you poke along at say 30 in sixth if you could do fifty miles on reserve?
Just kidding, don't do it.

·
Registered
852 Posts
I might have forgotten to fuel up last night cuz I was enjoying the empty road heading along Lake Mead and I wasn't ready to turn around. On the way back Ftrip came on and there was not one station to be had in the national rec area. Made it to the first station I came across and F trip reported 32 miles. Not one sputter or hiccup. Man was I a wreck. I never thought I was gonna make it. Thought for sure I'd be pushing her.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Who does this? On the first day out?
Ha! You are one serious mileage man.
I wonder if you poke along at say 30 in sixth if you could do fifty miles on reserve?
Just kidding, don't do it.
My Fz09 is one of the first sold and there were lots of unknowns and suppositions back in late 2014

1 - 20 of 67 Posts