Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed that the ez-pass will fit behind the fake ram-air scoops. (specifically, the left one) has anyone tried this? Just wondering if the EZ-Pass will register through the plastic.

IMG_67401.jpg

·
Registered
40 Posts
I noticed that the ez-pass will fit behind the fake ram-air scoops. (specifically, the left one) has anyone tried this? Just wondering if the EZ-Pass will register through the plastic.

View attachment 5387
I was considering it, but NY thruway authority (upstate) is still giving out the huge old passes.

The plastic shouldn't affect it reading at all, as long as it's at a good angle to read. I've mounted it similarly on other bikes, but had the tag facing forward. It would be worth a try though!

Explain what it is, why you want it, and where to get one.

Sent from my RM-877_nam_att_205 using Tapatalk
It's for automatic payment of tolls across several states in the US. Much easier than stopping and dealing with toll booths/cash/etc. If you don't know what it is, then you probably don't need one. :)

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
It should, my EZ Pass will register through the center console of my truck, so I don't think it will have a problem through the plastic panel.

Can't you just register your moto plate with them and leave the pass off the bike? ...I don't carry the pass on any of my motos, just leave it in my truck. They take a pick of my license plate as i pass and charge my account.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
I just ride really fast, camera's can't see it.... yet. Did it multiple times already and hadn't heard from anyone.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I know sometimes, even if sitting on the dashboard of the car, they fail to register at the toll booths. Hidden in the bodywork it might not be readable at all.

·
Registered
294 Posts
My EZ-pass doesn't get recognized in my jacket chest pocket. Oh well, if I just have have it on my person...I'll just play "dumb" if/when I get pulled over by the cops for running a toll.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
i've had varied luck with my ez pass tucked under my yamaha factory screen - did not read at a gate toll - but did read through high speed. Of course the gate toll is when i really needed it to work and it didnt.

·
Registered
248 Posts
My EZ-pass doesn't get recognized in my jacket chest pocket. Oh well, if I just have have it on my person...I'll just play "dumb" if/when I get pulled over by the cops for running a toll.
Would they really chase you down for a toll?

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Can't you just register your moto plate with them and leave the pass off the bike? ...I don't carry the pass on any of my motos, just leave it in my truck. They take a pick of my license plate as i pass and charge my account.
Some States may not allow this option...

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
most places if you add your license plate to your account - they'll just bill you afterwards - in the case that Davinci and I ran into crossing the Hudson in NY - there was a gate and the woman wouldn't let me pass without paying. They could not write my plate down they had to either scan my EZ pass (which they couldnt seem to do given its location) or i had to pay cash.

Long story short after i got off my bike to get my wallet in my tailbag and a huge line formed they told me just to go. A big stand off over a dollar. I now carry 2 bucks in my jacket pocket at all times just in case the ez pass doesnt work.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Some states Will just charge you a crazy handing fee if it didn't read the ez pass. Even with my plate registered. It's like ten dollars. Stupid. Back to the op, mine is mounted on the tail. I don't have a tail tidy, it fits perfectly in between two of the bars. Ill take a picture when I get back to work tomorrow. Ive yet to have it not read and I cross two tolls a day.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
40 Posts
Some states Will just charge you a crazy handing fee if it didn't read the ez pass. Even with my plate registered. It's like ten dollars. Stupid. Back to the op, mine is mounted on the tail. I don't have a tail tidy, it fits perfectly in between two of the bars. Ill take a picture when I get back to work tomorrow. Ive yet to have it not read and I cross two tolls a day.

This is very interesting. I may try this location out myself once you post pics!

·
Registered
33 Posts
A discussion on another forum I belonged to explained why the EZ pass needs to be flat or simulating a windshield angle. It has to do with the way RFID works and the angle of the transmitting antenna at the toll booth.I used to have problems when I carried it in my front jacket pocket(in Md if they use your plate you don't get the discount-for me thats the difference between $1.40 and $4.00) but carrying it on the front leg pocket of my riding pants I've never had a problem.

·
Registered
155 Posts

I keep it in top pocket of tank bag. Has worked perfect in multiple states on different types of tolls.
De rail time, are you the one that has the blurple rims on your red bike?

·
Registered
155 Posts

First off, its black so it wasn't a sore eye. I left the velcro stickies on, both of them, they work as a kind of guide. The velcro fits perfectly between those two bars. I ran two zip ties across it and thru the top bar and pulled them snug. I'm going on 1000 miles with it and it hasn't fallen out or shifted etc. Reads thru the ez pass both high speed and gated lanes fine. I don't intend on getting a tail tidy (I'm in the minority of people who actually like the tail) so it will stay there permanently.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
well if anything the fact that you're mounting it on your fendor means that my yamaha screen can't be the cause of why mine sometimes doesnt read.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts