Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,734 Posts
You're not very far from Road Atlanta. I'll be there twice this year with Sportbike Track Time.....not on the FZ09 though, on my 600RR track bike.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Personally....I could care less about a persons life story and where he worked.,.. and how much success he had ...and even how fast he thought he was in his own mind. The OP seems to think I can, or "we" can benefit from his experience of buying a motorcycle that he didn't like.

The lesson here...if there is a lesson....is to not walk into a motorcycle shop and buy a motorcycle that you know nothing about just because it looks cool...or is cheap....or it is Japanese. With all the motorcycle magazines that are available to read....and with all the road tests already done on this particular motorcycle....and all the Internet articles regarding this bike.....it is just plain negligent and lazy to buy a bike and then be surprised that it is "too fast" or "hard to ride smooth" or "jerky" or whatever reasons he has stated. A little effort and a little homework would have prevented this fiasco. Even better....don't buy a motorcycle that you havn't test ridden first.

I won't be tuning in for Chapter Two of excuses and claims and coercion and other attention getting babble. He seems to be thriving that we all are waiting with baited breath for the next round of excuses and mistakes. Sorry if that is rough...but "stupid hurts" . Nothing he can say will change that.

·
Super Moderator
5,734 Posts
CD599.........lighten up! If you don't want to read it then don't read it, but you don't need to be hateful about it!

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
CD599.........lighten up! If you don't want to read it then don't read it, but you don't need to be hateful about it!
this par for the course for this guy which is why i blocked him :)

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
There have been enough 09s sold, and enough owners here that there will be some riders feeling it isn't a fit for them.

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
I'll save everyone the suspense, you wanted a small displacement cruiser and instead bought the FZ09. Now you are upset that you bought the wrong bike. That's like taking soup to work for lunch and then getting upset because you only brought a fork. It's not the forks fault it doesn't fit your needs. It's your fault for packing a fork instead of a spoon. I'm not trying to be rude I'm just saying you could save yourself a lot of typing and just say,

"Hey, if you are looking for a small displacement cruiser don't buy the FZ09."

simple, elegant, and to the point.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
I'll save everyone the suspense, you wanted a small displacement cruiser and instead bought the FZ09. Now you are upset that you bought the wrong bike. That's like taking soup to work for lunch and then getting upset because you only brought a fork. It's not the forks fault it doesn't fit your needs. It's your fault for packing a fork instead of a spoon. I'm not trying to be rude I'm just saying you could save yourself a lot of typing and just say,

"Hey, if you are looking for a small displacement cruiser don't buy the FZ09."

simple, elegant, and to the point.

well said and not rude at all

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
What confuses me, is that the magazines, reviews, forums etc... Are all that I had to base my opinion on prior to buying. Oddly, I found the information spot on. I knew better with this bike, what I was getting, than I did with any of my other recent bike purchases.

I'm also confused about the statement that this thread is to give useful information to those not well versed in the sport bike world?

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
I think one of the problems with this is that the FZ-09 does not look like a large displacment bike on the outside and all the reviews praise its handling and easy riding. Someone who should be looking at a 600cc bike sees the FZ-09 and is not intimidated by it. But in fact the engine is a beast (847cc) and the handling is only easy to the experienced rider. So surprise surprise, it accelerates like a bull and steers way to quick for someone who is not expecting it.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
I think one of the problems with this is that the FZ-09 does not look like a large displacment bike on the outside and all the reviews praise its handling and easy riding. Someone who should be looking at a 600cc bike sees the FZ-09 and is not intimidated by it. But in fact the engine is a beast (847cc) and the handling is only easy to the experienced rider. So surprise surprise, it accelerates like a bull and steers way to quick for someone who is not expecting it.
I think you hit the nail on the head here. If you think about sheer displacement and don't have a lot of experience - the yamaha bolt - same price - has a similar CC engine - but it generates something south of 50hp. This bike generates 115hp. To some people that makes sense - to others maybe not - i'm not saying the OP used this logic but when i first started riding i had no idea the same displacement engines could net different HP - i thought it was all about displacement.

ive only ridden a few cruisers and none for any extended period of time but none that i've ridden (883, Bolt, Kawi 1300) have any kind of low end torque next to a sport bike - they also all handled like cadillacs. My SV scared the shit out of my brother who owns the Bolt, even from jsut doing a few laps in a large parking lot.

When you're used to rolling on the throttle hard and gradually accelerating, getting on an FZ or anything with actual low end torque will either make you insane with happiness or scare the ever living sh!t out of you.

My SV as my first bike initially scared the crap out of me - the throttle was so touchy and the torque made me feel like i was going 80mph when i was going 25mph. I had a few weeks where i didnt know if i could handle the bike - after awhile it became so natural to ride and the fear became manageable. Once i got used to the power on the bike i wanted even more. The FZ was a no brainer upgrade and i felt right at home on this thing coming from the SV. It's everything the SV offered but even more nimble and more powerful (in my opinion the exact combination i was looking for in an upgrade).

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
^This..... </conversation>

It doesn't help that it is also light weight and has an "entry level" price point.....

·
Registered
114 Posts
I think you hit the nail on the head here. If you think about sheer displacement and don't have a lot of experience - the yamaha bolt - same price - has a similar CC engine - but it generates something south of 50hp. This bike generates 115hp. To some people that makes sense - to others maybe not - i'm not saying the OP used this logic but when i first started riding i had no idea the same displacement engines could net different HP - i thought it was all about displacement.

ive only ridden a few cruisers and none for any extended period of time but none that i've ridden (883, Bolt, Kawi 1300) have any kind of low end torque next to a sport bike - they also all handled like cadillacs. My SV scared the shit out of my brother who owns the Bolt, even from jsut doing a few laps in a large parking lot.

When you're used to rolling on the throttle hard and gradually accelerating, getting on an FZ or anything with actual low end torque will either make you insane with happiness or scare the ever living sh!t out of you.

My SV as my first bike initially scared the crap out of me - the throttle was so touchy and the torque made me feel like i was going 80mph when i was going 25mph. I had a few weeks where i didnt know if i could handle the bike - after awhile it became so natural to ride and the fear became manageable. Once i got used to the power on the bike i wanted even more. The FZ was a no brainer upgrade and i felt right at home on this thing coming from the SV. It's everything the SV offered but even more nimble and more powerful (in my opinion the exact combination i was looking for in an upgrade).
Totally agree. I got the FZ as a second bike. My first was a Kawi EN500 Vulcan. You hit the nail on the head. On the Vulcan you give it the beans right away and it is plenty manageable. The FZ, you give it the beans and the front wheel is above your head. Its small, light, powerful, and steers quick. Combines to make it about as different from the Vulcan as you can get.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
i couldn't wheelie the SV if i tried (i didnt try very hard to but open throttle was always manageable under most conditions), but the fZ even at 215lbs geared comes up right away if you get on it in STD or A mode. This is a bit scary at first - even coming from a background of having my buddies tow me with their car and popping manuals at higher speeds with not even a helmet on or any other gear with my mountain bike (rear brake being a foot pedal instead of a hand brake is a big disadvantage :) )

As some have already mentioned though - the control is in your wrist not with the bike. If you've only ridden cruisers - you'd likely have to forget years of bad habits to not roll on the throttle right away - it's been pre-programmed into your brain bucket.

The main thing i love about the FZ is you can ride it like a grandma or a hoonigan if you know how (and i'm not even that experienced) - it's entirely up to you and i think it's awesome that this bike has that big of a range to allow that dynamic to happen.

Ok i'm done talking it up now :)

·
Registered
663 Posts
Beck, you finally hit on something that has been overlooked. There is a concept known as muscle memory. It's really seated in the brain, but the result is the same.

In many professions, you practice the same movement over and over again until it happens automatically. I made thousands of draws from a holster in my law enforcement career so it required absolutely zero thought. I could accomplish the mechanics automatically regardless of other distractions.

The same thing will happen to your throttle wrist. Years of a heavy twist is going to take some serious rehabilitation to change. Now combine that with a bike of this type, and you have a recipe for disaster.

I don't have a problem with a guy not liking the bike, or even voicing his dislike. I don't see bashing him over it. Just move on.

I have checked on the FZ-09 at my dealer, but haven't bought one yet. I really want the FZ-07, so I'm holding off for summer to see if that becomes an option. I'm sure I could get by on the 9, the 7 just makes more practical sense for me.

I still hang around here to learn more about bikes even though I started riding in 1976. A lot has changed, and learning never ends.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
To the OP, welcome to the forum. There is lots to learn here and elsewhere.

BTW, you should meet up with Vern (triplethreat) at Road Atlanta just to get some ideas what you can do and learn on the track. You can learn a lot on the track. It is not all about going fast, it is about honing your technique and skills.

I do have some concerns about your perspective of things. Especially after you wrote "I demand performance, especially from the suspension and brakes" and then you bought a HD 883 Sportster and refer to it as "wasnt overly heavy or bulky like other models" and "good brakes that inspired confidence."

I owned a sportster once and ridden them a few other times. None of those statements even remotely resemble an accurate description of a Sportster unless you are comparing it only to some bigger heavier cruiser, especially HD big twins.

The HD brakes, engine performance and suspension are so far down the scale of "performance" they are laughable.

The FZ09's squigly stock suspension is still several steps above the suspension on the Sportster.

FZ09 weight and brakes are lightyears beyond the Sportster.

For perspective: the FZ09 is not really all that light weight or have great brakes when compared to many other bikes such as a 600 supersport.

I think you have a huge learning curve ahead of you.

Please keep that in mind as you ride.

The FZ09 is way beyond anything you ever did on the Sportster.

As for the reviews of the FZ09, I found they were all pretty accurate. I think the reviews mostly exaggerated the poor suspension in light of the price as anyone that knows motorcycles would know a new motorcycle with brand new engine that also has an inexpensive retail price is going to be marginalized somewhere in the bike and the suspension is a prime place to cheap out.

The reviews attack on the throttle response was also very accurate.

The only thing I thought was missing from the FZ09 reviews was the size. No one really discussed how small and compact it is. Physically the FZ09 is about the size of a 600 sportbike.

All things considered, I think Yamaha did fantastic at that price point!

·
Super Moderator
5,734 Posts
Nice write up Motomania ^^^^^^ Thanks for that!

Reactions: jasonk

·
Registered
192 Posts
Its never bothered me if someone likes, or did not like the bike I have. If life were like that, you'd walk into a Yamaha shop and be given only one machine to choose from, and we;d all love it.

I grew up riding underpowered two stroke offroad bikes. You HAD to rev them to go anywhere. For me, a high reving streetbike is an amazing thing. I love them, and it drives me nuts to see my Mazda cars tach with a red zone starting at 5000 rpm....How can THAT be? Thats barely above idle.

My friend had me ride home his two brand new Harley Fat Boys. I hated every second of his 38,000 purchase and felt like I crawled back to 1970. No "power' no handling, and no brakes. He's put 40,000 on them, and loves each bike. You could not force him to ride the fz09 despite it being twice the bike his will ever be.

I hated the sv 650 I had. You'd rev it to 6000 rpm's and it was finished. Air cooled Volkswagens would pass you on the freeway. As soon as it started to get exciting, you'd hit the rev limiter.

So, the op wants to share the complete opposite opinion of me, and thats cool. That might save soemone else from buying a bike they wont like. That changes NOTHING abotu what my bike is to me.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Nice write up Motomania ^^^^^^ Thanks for that!
Glad you liked it. You do have a lot to offer someone like him on the track.

You and I both know a lot of people do not understand that track days are NOT JUST for going fast.

I hope the OP keeps an open mind and wants to learn because the FZ09 can do a lot that his Sportster could only dream of doing.

Reactions: 3OFAKIND
1 - 20 of 50 Posts