Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
It was a nice day for a ride, so I went out for a little bit and put about 50 miles on. When I got home I thought I would put some of that clear 3M adhesive on the tank to protect it from zippers, buckles, etc.
When I pulled the seat off I found some extra passengers nested in the compartment. I found 5 mice total. One was between the battery and frame wedged under a connector. They started chewing on the plastic post in the compartment, but I didn't notice any major damage and the wires all looked undisturbed.
When my wife got home I checked under the engine cover of her 2013 Elantra and there was a nest there too. There they had chewed through the wire insulation to the fuel injector but did not break through the wires. I will just coat the wires with plastidip or similar.
Gonna have to start setting some traps, that kind of damage can get expensive.

Engine Vehicle Luxury vehicle Auto part Automotive exterior

·
Premium Member
341 Posts
Best defense against mice is to buy a kitten from a farmer. Seriously, best way to keep em out. A good farm cat will keep em out and also be the toughest cat in your neighborhood.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Don't need no stinkin' cat here. I back up to Mustang Bayou so the cotton mouths take care of the mice as a rule. Now mud-dawbers are another story. They build nests in my toolboxes for chrissake!

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Just buy some traps and you will have them caught in no time.

Mice are not that smart and will get caught in traps pretty easily.

Had a buddy many years ago that had a family of mice set up house in his car... by the time he figured it out they had eaten the insulation off all the wiring in the trunk and in a couple other places.

Clean them out of your bike and car somewhere other than in your garage, like go to a park or something where they can run out and hide away from you but not in your house or garage.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
I had a mouse using my FZ as a food repository last winter... probably because it was clean. Didn't matter where I moved it to... damn bugger would always find it. Forced me to take it all apart and see if there was any stash in the air box. Luckily, nothing there... and I learned how to take it apart... and put it back together. Yay.... :|

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Best defense against mice is to buy a kitten from a farmer. Seriously, best way to keep em out. A good farm cat will keep em out and also be the toughest cat in your neighborhood.
Problem is, I live on a farm and all the cats go by the name "Garfield". Ya, they're pretty lazy.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Don't need no stinkin' cat here. I back up to Mustang Bayou so the cotton mouths take care of the mice as a rule. Now mud-dawbers are another story. They build nests in my toolboxes for chrissake!
My wife hates snakes and will go out of her way while cutting grass on the riding mower to go after them. I try to tell her to leave them alone. Maybe now she will.
I just thought, I might not have to share the bike with her now because of this :)

·
Super Moderator
5,762 Posts
I had a CBR1000RR several years ago and a mouse or two got into the bike over the winter (stored in a garage but not very tight) and ate enough of the wire insulation and gnawed through the wiring that the main wiring harness had to be replaced. $600+ for the harness, and $300 labor to install it.

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
Bad winters always drive the mice indoors. I keep disposable traps in my garage and shop year round. I look at the red tab from time to time to see if they are in there, or the smell alerts me. My current house has a big lot as do the ones around me, so they tend to migrate to our neighborhood.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
The sticky traps work the best for me. Put a piece of anything food related and they will get stuck on there.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
My wife went crazy and bought each of everything on the shelf, including an electronic one. I remember the last time she did this and walked into one of her glue traps with a mouse on it. Priceless.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts