Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know it the external intakes a-la-V-Max, actually lead to the air box, or are they just for show? It's hard to tell by just looking at the current pics available. Two screw heads can be seen, but whether thy hold a plate or screen is beyond my old eyes. If they don't function , wonder if they are there to cover up wiring, etc? If so, they could have just left them off, for me.... tp dd50

·
Super Moderator
5,700 Posts
Hey dirt, I'm in the same boat, I can't tell for sure either. I didn't see any mention of them being "ram air" in the bike description on the Yamaha website, so I guess time will tell for sure.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
2014-yamaha-fz-09-11.jpg

It looks like mesh, but could still be a fakey set up. I think that is not an open mesh material.. tomp

click on image to expand...tp

·
Super Moderator
5,700 Posts
Hey man, we heard you the first time! :cool: Wow, triple post, you don't see that too often on the Beebs!

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Upping my post count, I guess. I went in to edit the first post and it added it again instead of just editing... OOOOOPS... tomp

·
Registered
699 Posts
See, I try to help out and delete the triple post all while having the smartass quip develop in my head about "making a post for every cylinder the fz09 has, etc"... Then I delete the one post that has the root attachment only to break the image, and have to go searching for another to show what dirtdreamer50 was trying to show in the first place.

I will take my ball and go home before I break anything else...

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
2014-Yamaha-FZ-09_headlight - Copy.jpg

Grill mesh does look fake. Click on the pic to expand... Thanks, Nickj for correcting my mess.... tomp dd50

·
Super Moderator
5,700 Posts
Damn it, I like the real ones.......no fakes for me........Oh wait, wrong forum!

NickJ wrote:
I will take my ball and go home before I break anything else...
Hey, it's OK.....this Moderating/Admin stuff isn't easy ya know.............if it was, even girls would be doing it! :)

·
Registered
27 Posts
c'mon, we're not talking G.M.! i seriously doubt yammie would fake anything for looks.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
i seriously doubt yammie would fake anything for looks.
they've done it before. the original v-max had fake air scoops.

at any rate, even if they're fake, big deal. don't like them? take em off. or mod them for some other purpose. if the bike isn't a flop, it'll have huge aftermarket support.

·
Registered
27 Posts
good place for bright LEDs:rolleyes:

they've done it before. the original v-max had fake air scoops.

at any rate, even if they're fake, big deal. don't like them? take em off. or mod them for some other purpose. if the bike isn't a flop, it'll have huge aftermarket support.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
The scoops are fake. No openings inside there. They cover wiring and stuff on the right side. Not sure what is inside on the left side but both scoops are blocked off by plastic just inside the "grill"

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
We have our answer, and FWIW, it doesn't lower my interest in the FZ, at all. For $8K, can't expect all our dreams to come true. tomp

·
Registered
21 Posts
The scoops are fake. No openings inside there. They cover wiring and stuff on the right side. Not sure what is inside on the left side but both scoops are blocked off by plastic just inside the "grill"
Mebbe somebody with materials laying around will turn those panels into intake ducts..

·
Registered
418 Posts
They made perfect spots for my HID ballast on the right side and relays on the left side. The real air intake is below the fuel tank and gets funneled down through the top of the air box.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts