Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here it is, This bike has only left me with one wanting. I would like it to sound a little more louder/more aggressive. I have accepted the fact if I want to spend less I have to go with a slip on which requires me to cut the existing exhaust, and that ok with me. Will a slip on make my bike run lean, cause damage, and less HP!??. Can I simply put a Power Commander on the bike and map it to run close without damage or HP loss? I know everyone is all for the ECM/PCM to be mailed and re-flashed, but Can I simply put whatever exhaust I want on the bike and use a Power Commander to make up for the difference??????

·
Registered
277 Posts
Here it is, This bike has only left me with one wanting. I would like it to sound a little more louder/more aggressive. I have accepted the fact if I want to spend less I have to go with a slip on which requires me to cut the existing exhaust, and that ok with me. Will a slip on make my bike run lean, cause damage, and less HP!??. Can I simply put a Power Commander on the bike and map it to run close without damage or HP loss? I know everyone is all for the ECM/PCM to be mailed and re-flashed, but Can I simply put whatever exhaust I want on the bike and use a Power Commander to make up for the difference??????
Chances are you will be running lean since you're allowing the engine to flow more air with the same amount of fuel. But how much really depends on many other factors. In most cases you won't be doing any damage and would probably gain a few hp or at least stay the same. And yes you can just install a PCV and wait for them to make a map for your specific exhaust. But the Stoltec flash is quite a bit cheaper, doesn't require the installation of any additional boxes or tapping into any wires, and already has maps available for many of the aftermarket exhausts out there (M4, Arrow, GPR, and stock).

So just in my opinion it's a better option. And if you decide on it, you can still add the power commander later if you still want.

·
Registered
877 Posts
The Stoltec flash is what I have on 1 of my FZ 09 's with an M 4 slip on.

Runs quite well from what I could tell, yesterday, at Palomar,

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
I'm working on the final details and tune for my new exhaust design with the Delkevic Carbon. That should make a very nice package for the $$$. The EJK fuel controller work great on tuning the bike and I will have the tune done soon to use with and without the DBKiller.

Looking in the $625.00 ball park for the exhaust kit (DIY) and $825.00 for the kit with the fuel controller. That include shipping.

·
Vendor
2,404 Posts
I'm selling a GPR full exhaust with a PCV.
The Power Commander has a custom tune for the GPR.

Shoot me a PM if you want to talk details...

·
Registered
179 Posts
HOw is it that just because you add an exhaust that it flows more air inside chamber? How can this be when the piston chamber only holds so much volume and the there is nothing forcing the air inside said chamber? I can see this if you added a turbo or supercharger, but just adding an exhaust that allows air to escape more quickly doesnt mean you are adding more air into cylinder chamber....iSo why is fuel remapping required if no more air is added?

·
Registered
248 Posts
HOw is it that just because you add an exhaust that it flows more air inside chamber? How can this be when the piston chamber only holds so much volume and the there is nothing forcing the air inside said chamber? I can see this if you added a turbo or supercharger, but just adding an exhaust that allows air to escape more quickly doesnt mean you are adding more air into cylinder chamber....iSo why is fuel remapping required if no more air is added?
It's not flowing more air. It has less back pressure, so the same amount of gas escapes more quickly. So the air/fuel ratio in the combustion chamber will be different than with the stock exhaust. Of course, the quicker the gas gets out, the quicker it needs to get in so the intake has to be able to compensate for the higher velocity exhaust. Kinda/sorta.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I for one love the stock setup it pulls very hard form top to bottom and I love the way it sounds and looks, I also like the fact that if you ride with your buddies they can't tell when you roll on the gas out of corners and this bike is so quick your gone before they realize your on the gas great bike to have fun with your friends. !!!! RR:cool:

·
Registered
19 Posts
I was all set to order exhaust as soon as I got the bike but after riding it I actually like the way it sounds and runs so will be leaving it alone for now.

·
Registered
248 Posts
The only legit reasons I can see for changing the exhaust system would be to remove weight or gain power. This thing has plenty enough power, for me. I'm not into making noise anymore.

·
Registered
957 Posts
The M4 is currently the only slip-on for the FZ-09. Slip-ons don't require different engine maps or Power Commanders or anything like that. Full systems, however, do. There is only one full system coming out for the FZ-09 that is being marketed as street legal and that is the Akropovic one, which by the way is standard equipment on the MT-09 Street Rally (a special edition version of the 09 sold only in Asia and Europe).

·
Registered
957 Posts
I for one love the stock setup it pulls very hard form top to bottom and I love the way it sounds and looks, I also like the fact that if you ride with your buddies they can't tell when you roll on the gas out of corners and this bike is so quick your gone before they realize your on the gas great bike to have fun with your friends. !!!! RR:cool:
Agreed. I don't ever intend on upgrading the exhaust. I've already sunk over $1100 in suspension components which haven't been installed yet, though =P

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I might have to bite the bullet and try the slip on,,,,, but IF IF IF I do have to change/tune a little bit,,, will the power commander or equivalents provide me with enough tuning to keep it from running lean? Will the combination of a power commander and a M4 slip on provide a little more power? I don't want something that is crazy loud like other sport bikes I have heard. Videos are hard to tell what it really sounds like in person. Personal preference is something that can't be measured.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I've got a funny feeling these bikes run a little rich from the factor, not lean. Have you ever noticed the amount of soot blown out of the muffler? A slip-on muffler might not upset the A/F ratio too badly...just thinking out loud.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I seem to recall something about the factory set-up running lean being mentioned in another thread... Was it the thread about getting a volunteer for Nels & 2-Wheel Dyno Works? Isn't that why Nick (Stoltec Moto) now offers an ECU update with fueling changes for the stock exhaust?

·
Registered
34 Posts
It isn't flowing more air into the piston chamber, it's flowing more air, quicker. Better flow = higher volume of air in a given time period. Fuel remapping is sometimes necessary, because quicker air flow = more fuel flow required to achieve the 'nominal' air/fuel ratio.

At least, that's how I interpret it. And I think that's more or less what Motley was trying to say.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.