Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am at a stand still on making a decision on an exhaust. I love the look of the Two Brothers S1R, but yet I dont need a full system. I dont like the look of the M4 slip on. I really just want to be able to hear the bike. The exhaust note from stock is so quiet(neighborhood friendly) I DONT WANT A NEIGHBORHOOD FRIENDLY EXHAUST.....

I have seen the post about making your stock exhaust louder, but from the reads its not much different.

I have done searches all over the place looking to see if some other kind of slip on is available and none to be found.

SO, how many people are happy with their S1R exhaust who have them? Im ready to pull out the pocketbook if that is only option.

Thanks guys

·
Registered
26 Posts
What do you not like about the M4?
I had a set of M4s on my FZ6.... That is the
Best sounding 600 I've ever heard!
Low idle rumble and screams when hammered!!!
I'm in the market for a slip on too so I will listen
If somebody can sell me something different.... My2¢

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think the M4 sounds great! I just dont like the mid pipe section being so straight. Wish it was tucked up under a little more. Maybe, a new mid section could be adapted?

·
Registered
734 Posts
Silence is golden . Just cant do the noise for hundreds of miles , now the rd400 out for a 50 mile rip not bad

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I can understand wanting silence on long trips. Wonder if someone could come up with a on demand switch to have best of both worlds?

·
Registered
337 Posts
I am at a stand still on making a decision on an exhaust. I love the look of the Two Brothers S1R, but yet I dont need a full system. I dont like the look of the M4 slip on. I really just want to be able to hear the bike. The exhaust note from stock is so quiet(neighborhood friendly) I DONT WANT A NEIGHBORHOOD FRIENDLY EXHAUST.....

I have seen the post about making your stock exhaust louder, but from the reads its not much different.

I have done searches all over the place looking to see if some other kind of slip on is available and none to be found.

SO, how many people are happy with their S1R exhaust who have them? Im ready to pull out the pocketbook if that is only option.

Thanks guys
GPR also makes a slip on where you cut the stock exhaust behind the O2 sensor instead of in front like the M4. Right around $350 shipped to the US and includes a DB insert, I am waiting on mine - like the look of the can over the M4 and decided to give one a shot.

Yamaha MT-09 Exhaust - Furore Nero - No Cat - Only £209.00 - Moto Legends Distribution Ltd.

·
Registered
3,079 Posts

Thanks guys
Have you look at mine. It slip over the primary pipe. Cheaper than a full system and does look like a real aftermarket exhaust with a slip-on collector. For the same price you will spend on a full exhaust you can get mine with a fuel controller. Look in the sponsor section, I did some "how too" with good pictures. You can use any 2" slip-on (TB CF shorty maybe) if you don't like the Danmoto slip-on.

http://www.fz09.org/forum/33-marthy...ns/886-fz-09-marthy-exhaust-installation.html
http://www.fz09.org/forum/33-marthy...5-fz-09-ejk-fuel-controller-installation.html

·
Registered
94 Posts
I installed the M4. Love the look and sound. You get a silencer baffle if you prefer the not so obnoxious. Install can be completed in less than an hour. No fuel mapping required. Bike runs, looks, and sounds great. Best bang for the buck...just my .02

Reactions: Shaggiinator

·
Registered
224 Posts
I installed the M4. Love the look and sound. You get a silencer baffle if you prefer the not so obnoxious. Install can be completed in less than an hour. No fuel mapping required. Bike runs, looks, and sounds great. Best bang for the buck...just my .02
I have read afew things on here that with the M4 slip-on that you need different fuel mapping?
Just wondering what your thoughts are and do you feel that the Fz runs lean with this slip on?
Thanks!!

·
Registered
94 Posts
I have read afew things on here that with the M4 slip-on that you need different fuel mapping?
Just wondering what your thoughts are and do you feel that the Fz runs lean with this slip on?
Thanks!!
Seems to be running great. The only way of really knowing is to pull the plugs or use a gas analyzer on the exhaust. I think that if you were to replace/modify the intake, then remapping would be required. With the stock intake, I think the computer an handle the change. I will pull one of the plugs and post of the pics sometime in the next few days.

Reactions: Itaride

·
Registered
139 Posts
I don't see how a fuel mapping isn't necessary with the M4 slip on. I mean how do you remove a cat, a massive silencing chamber and replace with a straight pipe without changing the engine dynamics? If M4 is claiming you don't need to, I want to see some afr graphs before and after the install. Shannon, post up some pics of your plugs after a hard pull, ide like to see what they look like.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Mapping is required, just because the bike "runs" after the exhaust change does not mean it is correct, the stock ECU is not going to compensate so a FI controller is needed.

As someone mentioned would love to see the before and after A/F graph from someone who hacked the stock exhaust and did not add a controller. Might even hurt performance compared to stock in certain parts of the RPM range.

·
Registered
730 Posts

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
Mapping is required, just because the bike "runs" after the exhaust change does not mean it is correct, the stock ECU is not going to compensate so a FI controller is needed.

As someone mentioned would love to see the before and after A/F graph from someone who hacked the stock exhaust and did not add a controller. Might even hurt performance compared to stock in certain parts of the RPM range.
I did when I built the first FZ09 exhaust and worked with EJK to get the first fuel controller available for our bike. Run lean as hell at mid range and throttle jerkiness is even worst. Might be in one of my first video... can't remember witch one. Removing the O2 sensor completely is not recommended IMO, even with a fuel controller.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Its a REALLY stupid idea to eliminate the O2 sensor...
Where does it state that the O2 sensor is eliminated? The GPR slip on requires cutting the stock pipe behind the O2 sensor so it remains in place, it essentially eliminates the cat.

M4 requires cutting farther up and provides a new bung for bolting the sensor back up, the stock ECU is still not going to correct A/F as someone stated earlier in this post.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I don't see how a fuel mapping isn't necessary with the M4 slip on. I mean how do you remove a cat, a massive silencing chamber and replace with a straight pipe without changing the engine dynamics? If M4 is claiming you don't need to, I want to see some afr graphs before and after the install. Shannon, post up some pics of your plugs after a hard pull, ide like to see what they look like.
I will right after my break-in. :eek:

·
Registered
730 Posts
Cut in front of the sensor WILL eliminate the bung...

Where does it state that the O2 sensor is eliminated? The GPR slip on requires cutting the stock pipe behind the O2 sensor so it remains in place, it essentially eliminates the cat.

M4 requires cutting farther up and provides a new bung for bolting the sensor back up, the stock ECU is still not going to correct A/F as someone stated earlier in this post.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I will right after my break-in. :eek:
My dyno tuner said it was ABSOLUTELY not safe to run the M4 on my FZ-09 without a reflash and dyno tune - it was DANGEROUSLY lean and would cause issues going forward. He added up to 20% fuel in certain spots to compensate and bring it back to happy happy levels.

·
Registered
12 Posts
What do I need to buy if i upgrade my exhaust to control the A/F? Is that what a Dynojet Autotune is for? Sorry if this seems like a stupid question I'm new to fuel injected bikes.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Cut in front of the sensor WILL eliminate the bung...
OK so I would still like to see one post from me that says the O2 will be eliminated? GPR cut behind and M4 has bung in new pipe, not sure why you continue to post up while adding no value to the original question/concern.

11dewinkl, you have some options at this point. Fuel controllers - EJK/Bazzaz/Power Commander or have the stock ECU tuned with a custom map if someone around you has a dyno and flash tune capability.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts