Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am totally new in the whole new exhaust field and was just curious about it. Would you guys suggest a full exhaust? or just a slip on. What steps must I take to change out my exhaust?I just want a deeper throatier sound from it. Nothing over the top obnoxious. Thank you

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
I've managed to upset many people with this topic. So without saying too much or ruffling any feathers here we go..

IMO...

Full exhaust is easier to install, better tuned for performance and sound. In most cases also weighs the least.

half exhaust (slip -ons) require you to hack-saw the original system, give you good sound, but very little performance gain. They weigh less the the stock exhaust and cost less to get into. The only downside is if you ever wanted to go back to original you have to buy a new exhaust.

Most full exhaust systems come with sound killers to muffle out the excessive noise. If you decide to go for the high end, make sure you get your money's worth. Some systems look nice and sound nice but offer very little performance gains where as you can get different one that offers great sound & performance for just as much if not a bit more money.

In the end, you have to pick what matters to you, either sound, beauty or performance.

Just remember, there is allot of hype over what different systems can do or not do. Do your research.

Reactions: jmcghee41

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
The FZ has to be sawed for a slip-on, some bikes have bolt on silencers. I agree with Tunnelvision748 about pipe selection.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I appreciate your answer, if I do go with a full exhaust, will I have to get anything tuned along with that?

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
What I do with my kit is the closest thing you can get from a full exhaust. Like some exhaust out there I use a slip-on collector and the rest is pretty much the same. You can use your primary pipe that Yamaha design (can't be that bad). My HP gain numbers are within what everybody else get but you safe few $100s. It comes with a DBK also that is safe to run without a fuel controller or you can get the EJK fuel controller for better results.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
612 Posts
Marthy do your exhausts pass legal noise regs? Also can anyone comment on the legality of the Akropovic full exhaust system? I'm in Canada but I'm sure the US noise laws are similar to ours here.

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
Marthy do your exhausts pass legal noise regs? Also can anyone comment on the legality of the Akropovic full exhaust system? I'm in Canada but I'm sure the US noise laws are similar to ours here.
Never checked. I sold a few FZ6R exhaust in Canada and around the globe in the last 3 years, never had any complain about noise level. With the DBK in place the sound is very manageable. But here, in Florida at least... Popo doesn't really care unless you ride like a lunatic. Then the exhaust, signals, fender eliminator and all the other stuff that is not by the book might be subject to be fined. I'm Canadian too... I know how much of a pain they can be. Downside of having a lower crime rate and anti gun laws. LOL Plenty of free time for the popo to bring in extra revenue. :)

·
Registered
612 Posts
Never checked. I sold a few FZ6R exhaust in Canada and around the globe in the last 3 years, never had any complain about noise level. With the DBK in place the sound is very manageable. But here, in Florida at least... Popo doesn't really care unless you ride like a lunatic. Then the exhaust, signals, fender eliminator and all the other stuff that is not by the book might be subject to be fined. I'm Canadian too... I know how much of a pain they can be. Downside of having a lower crime rate and anti gun laws. LOL Plenty of free time for the popo to bring in extra revenue. :)
The cops here are getting more nasty about it here..

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What I do with my kit is the closest thing you can get from a full exhaust. Like some exhaust out there I use a slip-on collector and the rest is pretty much the same. You can use your primary pipe that Yamaha design (can't be that bad). My HP gain numbers are within what everybody else get but you safe few $100s. It comes with a DBK also that is safe to run without a fuel controller or you can get the EJK fuel controller for better results.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
I feel like you are the forum celeb! Glad you took the time to comment, Ill look into your posts and see what I can do. Around what price range was this setup if you don't mind me asking.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts

·
Banned
161 Posts
Doesnt make much sense to drop over a grand on the exhaust of a price-point bike. Also, a waste of money for very little gain. Wait until there's a slip-on for $300 or less....if we're lucky someone will manufacture one in some far Eastern country and charge less than $200 for it.

·
Registered
186 Posts
You can get a full system for several hundred bucks less than a grand, knock ten pounds off the bike and get rid of a whole lot of ugly in one fell swoop. Save the stock exhaust just in case and as popular as this -09 has turned out to be, you should be able to sell the full system about any time you want. As soon as Yamaha comes out with upgraded suspension and a few other bits this won't be a price-point bike if it even is that now, apparently that triple engine is a gem (and then of course it probably won't be offered at $7990).

Check with Scooter if you want a good deal on a full system but you best hurry...the order goes in the end of the week.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
I appreciate your answer, if I do go with a full exhaust, will I have to get anything tuned along with that?
The only thing you might need are AIS block-off plates, without them your exhaust might pop. Fuel management systems will utilize the extra airflow gained from the full exhaust and add more power / torque.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Doesnt make much sense to drop over a grand on the exhaust of a price-point bike. Also, a waste of money for very little gain. Wait until there's a slip-on for $300 or less....if we're lucky someone will manufacture one in some far Eastern country and charge less than $200 for it.
Depends on what you're looking for. I have an Akrapovic system coming next week. But I don't pay what most people pay, less than half actually. And I would never install any cheap Chinese knock off part on any of my bikes! I take pride in my bikes and won't dumb them down by installing crap parts.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I am pretty sure you just cant have it straight piped , shouldn't have any problems with exhaust systems unless ripping around in a way that brings a lot of attention to yourself

·
Registered
132 Posts
I am waiting for my Akrapovic to arrive, but I was very tempted by the Graves because of how much weight it drops, just really am not sure about how far that pipe sticks out on the Graves, but still might get it too! I really think that the Graves would be a nice set-up in titanium which is what I ordered from Akrapovic. Please hurry :)

·
Registered
612 Posts
I am pretty sure you just cant have it straight piped , shouldn't have any problems with exhaust systems unless ripping around in a way that brings a lot of attention to yourself
I guess it depends where you live, my buddy at work got pulled over in downtown Vancouver and the cops were pulling over every bike that passed to do random decibel tests on the side of the street. He said there were at least 5 other bike that were pulled over at the same time he got checked and they gave no warnings at all.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts