Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Its official, the pipe has been hacked off at the joint to the muffler, by god the standard muffler is a heavy piece of metal, the headers weigh almost nothing. The question of where the cat is answered as soon as you look into the muffler, its about 4 inches in and easy as to pry out with a screwdriver. Managed to obtain a tidy stainless super trapp muffler off a ZX9R for $100NZD, figure if I shorten it by 2 inches it should be an acceptable length.
Im going to use pictures of Acro carbon pipe as sort of a template for the stainless mid pipe I will get made up, where it will run from the standard headers, then alongside to the halfway point of the muffler, curl up and forward to the sump, then turn downwards again just behind the sump and up into the inlet of the muffler, which will be angled downwards from the outlet to the inlet, at a 25 or 30° angle to the midline of the bike.
Im hoping the outlet will protrude just behind my foot, be no lower than the sump, make a nice noise with a nice long mid pipe and bigger capacity muffler, and not mess with the fuelling too much, I can add disks or make up a restrictive insert to fine tune it, I will get a PCV one day but not now. Wish me luck. :D

Reactions: ridetofish

·
Registered
420 Posts
Sounds like a lot of work. I believe I'd rather watch reruns of "I Love Lucy".

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
Its official, the pipe has been hacked off at the joint to the muffler, by god the standard muffler is a heavy piece of metal, the headers weigh almost nothing. The question of where the cat is answered as soon as you look into the muffler, its about 4 inches in and easy as to pry out with a screwdriver. Managed to obtain a tidy stainless super trapp muffler off a ZX9R for $100NZD, figure if I shorten it by 2 inches it should be an acceptable length.
Im going to use pictures of Acro carbon pipe as sort of a template for the stainless mid pipe I will get made up, where it will run from the standard headers, then alongside to the halfway point of the muffler, curl up and forward to the sump, then turn downwards again just behind the sump and up into the inlet of the muffler, which will be angled downwards from the outlet to the inlet, at a 25 or 30° angle to the midline of the bike.
Im hoping the outlet will protrude just behind my foot, be no lower than the sump, make a nice noise with a nice long mid pipe and bigger capacity muffler, and not mess with the fuelling too much, I can add disks or make up a restrictive insert to fine tune it, I will get a PCV one day but not now. Wish me luck. :D
So essentially "copying" the Akrapovic Carbon exhaust, using the stock headers?

Sounds like a fun project. Just my opinion here, but if you're going to that much trouble I'd go the little extra distance and replace the collector as well. Not sure what shipping would cost you or if there is a local source for them, but Columbia River Mandrel Bending sells a slip-fit 3-1 stainless collector for $130. If you look inside the stock collector, you'll see there's room for improvement. Cool project either way, keep us posted.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I agree with the comment about I Love Lucy, by hey I like to f**K around with my toys so I will give it a crack, I can always weld the old one on again. Just having a look at most of the zorsts available most seem to be very short after the collector, except for the Carbon Akra, which in my way of thinking wouldn't encourage a steady flow of gasses through the exhaust at all revs and loads, there is one Japanese MT09 with a great big long almost conventional exhaust, it sounds awesome with a rich deep tone but takes something away from the look of the bike. I had a look into the collector and it does appear a little cheaply tacked together, in fact number three protruded about 15mm further into the collector than the others and the welds were a bit crude, perhaps expected.
I am going to make a template up from bits of PVC pipe to get the shape to fit, then get an exhaust shop to fabricate the mid pipe up, so that's the plan anyway, will upload photos when progress has been made, in the meantime my DRZ will fill in for road duties :).

·
Registered
833 Posts
Can you explain the term "zorst". Is that directly related to the Akra? Sorry fro the dumb question.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Exhaust. Zorst.

I like seeing people do things just for the sake of doing them. I'm lazy, so I just bought a carbon akra.
Why not use an OEM titanium R6 can, then you'd have a loud, free flowing pipe that is OEM. Kinda.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yep I saw a GTYR Muffler off an R6, looked like a plan until I saw the price, there are a couple of outfits making and selling nice compact triangular SS mufflers for $200 NZD plus freight on EBAY, but they barely constitute a muffler. Problem is I don't want the thing to be insanely loud, hence why I went for a bigger muffler which is tunable to create a deeper less trebly tone and not too loud. Biggest issue for me is the tightness of the space, fitting the muffler in a way that doesn't make it an eyesore, having a nice long free flowing mid pipe and getting 50mm SS pipe to bend in a small enough radius for it all to work. Magoo Mufflers reckon they have an awesome extrusion machine in Christchurch which will do the job. We will see.

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
I use the Delkevic DS-70 CF. You can buy the can alone and they even have a SS slip-on for even cheaper. The DBKiller is about $40.00 and give a nice tone. Overall length is about 13" or so. Great fit. Other than that if you can find a Viper micro can 20cm those soumd nice too.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
I'm talking about the OEM titanium can from an R6, I bought my last one at the wreckers for $50 and put it on my KTM 640sm. If you put one on the 09, it will still be an OEM part.
I don't know why it's so loud, officer, its a factory part.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm talking about the OEM titanium can from an R6, I bought my last one at the wreckers for $50 and put it on my KTM 640sm. If you put one on the 09, it will still be an OEM part.
I don't know why it's so loud, officer, its a factory part.
Depends entirely on what model R6, the later ones have a cat/collector box under the engine and the "muffler"bolts onto the side of that, so you would assume the box would have a part to play in silencing the bike, the earlier ones have a more conventional muffler, bigger with more of a job to do, the one I was looking at was the former, too expensive, not available here s/h and didn't look like much of a "muffler" in the truest sense. I don't want the bike to be insanely loud, 955i with a corked race can loud with a nice deep tone, hence all the effort, and I believe a decent long secondary pipe will contribute to this goal.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I use the Delkevic DS-70 CF. You can buy the can alone and they even have a SS slip-on for even cheaper. The DBKiller is about $40.00 and give a nice tone. Overall length is about 13" or so. Great fit. Other than that if you can find a Viper micro can 20cm those soumd nice too.
Cheers, I have seen those on flee bay and they do look "very nice" as Borat would say, but I'm aiming to do this with a $200 NZ pesos budget, in fact I think most of the bike will be modded in this fashion, hopefully without looking like a $2 hooker :)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Cheers, I have seen those on flee bay and they do look "very nice" as Borat would say, but I'm aiming to do this with a $200 NZ pesos budget, in fact I think most of the bike will be modded in this fashion, hopefully without looking like a $2 hooker :)

Kiwi s are known for being resourceful.....if you want something in NZ......just go and make it!!

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Must be cheap to get welding done in NZ then, $100 for the can leaves you $100 to get a custom, loop the loop link pipe made up.

Looking forward to seeing it finished.
And I was talking about the late model R6 can, 06-14.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Bought some cheap SS mandrel bends off the net, started to fiddle round with some layouts etc, bloody hell there is not much room , I've have given in and made up a shorter secondary pipe out of 2 decent length 90° bends, shortened the muffler about 6 inches and made up a new clamp bracket for the muffler to hold it onto the original muffler mount holes, looks ok to me and with one supertrap disk in should sound ok. Should be up and running tomorrow :)

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Bought some cheap SS mandrel bends off the net, started to fiddle round with some layouts etc, bloody hell there is not much room , I've have given in and made up a shorter secondary pipe out of 2 decent length 90° bends, shortened the muffler about 6 inches and made up a new clamp bracket for the muffler to hold it onto the original muffler mount holes, looks ok to me and with one supertrap disk in should sound ok. Should be up and running tomorrow :)
I measured things up, the secondary pipe will be about 400mm (16") long from the end of the primarys to the tip, plus 200mm of the perforated core of the supertrap, the primaries are about 500mm (20") long from the head to the pipe ends in the collector, the original muffler was about 300mm long from the primaries to the end of the cat converter housing, in theory having almost 300mm of secondary pipe will be ok I would think, the arrangement I have settled on is similar to the arrow arrangement, and the arrows are a good pipe. Here's hoping my fuelling will be ok, looking into an EJK controller, which are cheaper than a PCV. Will post pictures of the result.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Pipe 3.jpg Pipe 4.jpg Pipe 1.jpg Pipe 2.jpg Pipe on and the bike is sounding and running very well, no fuelling issues can be felt and the top end is a bit fitter, doesn't feel like any losses down low either. The noise is a very deep tone, not at all raspy, Im quite happy with my $160NZD ($125 USD) effort and weighs about 2kg all up. S/H Muffler $100, SS mandrel bends X 2 $15 each, 2 welds $30. Happy chap :)

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for that, Im pretty happy with the result, fair bit of guess work involved, the muffler I bought did not allow the loop over pipe arrangement the Carbon has, just not enough room and to get bends that tight was going to be too expensive, but I attempted to make the secondary pipe as long as I could but still have the muffler outlet in the same general vicinity as standard.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Turned out nice. And using the stock header is a plus, as it appears pretty well tuned for the cross over pipes etc.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts