Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

Exhaust and Fuel ratio?

9K views 18 replies 12 participants last post by  threesvts 
#1 ·
I'm only really concerned with changing the exhaust sound to something that would "IMHO" something that would compliment the power of this bike. I checked the least expensive options "slip-ons" and they require you to butcher/cut the stock exhaust. The others are much more expensive "$1000.00 +". I know if you lower the back pressure off any engine, it could result in a lean condition and running the valves and everything else much hotter. I don't want that. My question is, can you change the stock exhaust at all to simply augment the sound, are there other options that can do the same without changing the FAR. If I do have to change the FAR will something like a power commander do the job? Thanks for any sound suggestions. ;)

#3 ·
It's a long read from start to finish, but the bottom line is that you can send your ECU to Nick at Stotec-Moto and get it reflashed for several of the exhausts that are available and it is a lot cheaper option that adding on a piggy-back Power Commander, Bazzas, etc.

http://www.fz09.org/forum/31-stoltec-moto/1168-got-ecu-we-do.html

Pretty much anytime you open up the exhaust circuit, you are going to run leaner than stock unless there is something done to the bike to adjust the A/F ratio by adding more fuel.

#4 ·
I have the Akrapovic Ti. My impression is that they designed the system to look like the original exhaust and work well with the stock fueling.

Is the bike running fine without any fuel controller at all? Yes. Much better than the stock exhaust.

Is it running lean on acceleration? Maybe.

Could it be improved with a fuel controller? Probably.

To what degree? Yet to be determined. I might get mine to a dyno one day.

P.S. Triplethreat reminded me that I should add that I have the Stoltec reflashed ECU. That was a big improvement. And the exhaust (installed after) was an additional improvement.

#5 · (Edited)
Will something like a power commander work for any changes made to the stock exhaust?? If they do what would be my other options other than a power commander? anything better than a power commander? Can I install a slip on or full race exhaust, and fuel controller, without having to remove and mail my engine controller/computer to be reflashed?

#6 ·
ECU flash is definitely the easiest way to go...much easier than dismantling your entire bike and virtually rewiring to install a power commander. I just hope Stoltec gets a flash for the akra sometime soon...even better if flash was tuned for an aftermarket filter. HINT HINT

#7 ·
^^I think that is overstating the hassle involved in installing a power commander - on the several bikes i've fitted them to of mine it's been a steady hour or so job and not technically difficult. The advantage is it's easy to then change fuelling maps without having to remove anything from the bike, and in answer to your questions they will be able (with the right maps) to change fuelling appropriately for any exhaust. The disadvantages are cost, and the fact that the on-off jerkiness of this bike will not be fixed by a PC as it sounds like it very effectively is with the ECU reflash.

#8 ·
Thank you. If money would be no option and I started with a power commander and then a new exhaust, I could tune the ratio so it would "not" run lean and damage the engine? without having the engine controller removed and sent away??? It's hard to tell from videos/sound what would be best to my liking, I do not like the big fat M4 muffler hanging off the bike. I did however like the GRAVES look and sound the best. I'm probably looking for that in sound and appearance. Are there any other exhaust systems available that would come close to the tail-pipe/tip for the stock exhaust? I like the stock exhaust look the most but I know you can't keep that and the same look without some sort of major fabricating.

#9 ·
It sucks sending the ecu off..I agree...BUT, these guys do things that a powercommander wont do. In a perfect world, do both. However, the remap is huge based on the other thigns they do, not just the air-fuel ratio.

Sent it next day air on Monday, and you'll have it back for the weekend..just do it.

The big thing a power commander wont do is...

"Eliminates injector cut on deceleration to reduce engine braking."

and that part would be worth the cost of a reflash if nothing else was done....

#12 ·
Been using the EJK fuel controller on few exhaust configuration and it work very well. I'm really digging my latest exhaust with the Delkevic CF slip-on. Been massaging the AFR a bit to make sure it's all good. Also work well with or without the ECU flash. What i like about having a fuel controller is having more flexibility. Nick flash fixed the last few % of the map that wasn't perfect. I need one or two good "close course" acceleration then I'll mount the DBKiller for more tuning.

#13 ·
Hey Andy, apparently you are located in Pennsylvania... So is Nick (Stoltec Moto - in Bangor, PA). Assuming you are somewhat close, you could just bring it in to his shop and have it flashed while you wait. Minimal down time! Otherwise, I can't imagine that shipping back-and-forth within PA would take very long either.

#16 ·
Can I start with a flash/reprogram and in conjunction with a fuel controller like a power commander or better without changing the stock exhaust initially. And if I can, do I have to have the pcm/ecu flashed to a specific exhaust or is there something that would allow flexibility and with a power commander allow me to change it at will, no matter what exhaust I choose later?????

#17 ·
A Power Commander with Auto Tune would be the best choice. It'll do the tune for you no matter what exhaust you choose. Easiest and fail proof way of tuning. Load a base map and let it build from that. Done right it'll yield the best performance over a custom tune that's locked in at one map. Riding conditions change every minute, so you want your tune to be able to tweak itself on the fly.

#18 ·
So I may purchase and install something like the power commander that will auto tune to pretty much any exhaust I would put on the bike? I don't have to have %100 perfection, just at least something that will control it enough to keep the bike from running leaning and possibly damaging the engine/

#19 ·
It depends what you're looking for. Especially in the long run. IMO the PC5 is a better choice for me because I want total control over the mapping. The EJK you have some control, but not as much flexibility and expansion later with ad ons as you do with the PC5. If you're on a budget and want a simple plug and play and you make the map go EJK. If you want total control and let it tune automatically, then the PC5 WITH auto tune is what you want. The EKJ is around $200 or a little more. The PC5 is about $350, auto tune is another $175 or so. You wouldn't want to flash the ECU with a tune, then install a fuel controller. You're doing the same thing twice and only one map can work at a time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.