Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
Are you seriously only changing the rear?.
The stock Dunlop and the PR4 are completely different compounds and mixing them is not very prudent.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
Are you seriously only changing the rear?.
The stock Dunlop and the PR4 are completely different compounds and mixing them is not very prudent.
i was going to say the same but based on the last thread he ignored all of our advice and kept riding on the bald tire as it is. He'll figure it out sooner or later - lets just hope he's alive after his moment of clarity. "It won't happen to me" - yup....

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
i was going to say the same but based on the last thread he ignored all of our advice and kept riding on the bald tire as it is. He'll figure it out sooner or later - lets just hope he's alive after his moment of clarity. "It won't happen to me" - yup....
Ah, didn't realize that was him.....yeah,it makes sense now..he bought a sport bike without knowing anything about them and only now realizes he really cant afford it.....

hell, lets save a few bucks by only changing one tire....what could possibly go wrong.... try as you might, you cant fix stupid....hopefully when he wrecks, he goes down alone and doesn't take anyone with him

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
Nothing wrong with that. I don't know about the rest of you guys but, I only buy one shoe at a time. Does make for some odd combos at times though, like the one time I went into work wearing one wing tip and one bedroom slipper.
to each their own - personally (and this is just what i believe) - there are areas where you may cut some corners and areas where you should never cut corners. Tires are one area where if you can't afford to replace both - or you're running on next to no tread because you're trying to squeek out the very last of your cash from them - why own a motorcycle? The odds are not in your favor of that working out regardless of if you think that statement is BS or not. Very simply put - there are many stories of guys totaling their bike, getting injured or worse because of this or running on close to bald tires - there are a few even on this very forum. What you don't see are the same stories of guys crashing because of fresh rubber (with the exception of the first 50 miles where they are slick from being new of course). It doesn't take an overly smart person to understand why (i'm speaking in general sense not specifically at you).

Sure you may be riding for awhile and nothing has happened but the law of averages has a bad way of righting that. It only takes one wipe out or day getting caught in the rain and having your back end kick out or front come out from under you that negates any negligible cost savings you made by running 2 different compounds or 1 worn tire.

Everyone has the freedom to do what they want - it's not my cup of tea and quite frankly i think it's reckless but again - just my 2 cents. Just because you have the means to buy a surfboard - doesn't mean you should surf a hurricane...

·
Registered
651 Posts
I only replace one tyre at a time and often have a part worn front and a new rear.I just put a PR4 on the back and have a few more thousand km left till the front Pilot Road (PR1?) is due for replacement.
I have this amazing ability to moderate my riding to suit the conditions.

I know a fellow who,although he is a multi millionaire, is so tight he only buys the cheapest tyres.
When we were cleaning out my dad's house,I found some old tyres from the '70s.These were Inoue and Yokohama OEM tyres that we would immediately replace on a new bike because they were so bad.Daddy Warbucks mentioned above was only too happy to take these 30 year old tyre off my hands and fit them to his BMW.:p
Thing is he never falls off his bike inspite of his preference for cheap consumables.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
I only replace one tyre at a time and often have a part worn front and a new rear.I just put a PR4 on the back and have a few more thousand km left till the front Pilot Road (PR1?) is due for replacement.
I have this amazing ability to moderate my riding to suit the conditions.

I know a fellow who,although he is a multi millionaire, is so tight he only buys the cheapest tyres.
When we were cleaning out my dad's house,I found some old tyres from the '70s.These were Inoue and Yokohama OEM tyres that we would immediately replace on a new bike because they were so bad.Daddy Warbucks mentioned above was only too happy to take these 30 year old tyre off my hands and fit them to his BMW.:p
Thing is he never falls off his bike inspite of his preference for cheap consumables.
Tires are somthing I wont cheap out on unless they are for getting from point a to point b. Anything performance related, I splurge on tires.

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
........Daddy Warbucks mentioned above was only too happy to take these 30 year old tyre off my hands and fit them to his BMW........
So were does Daddy Warbucks live and ride???? So we can all avoid this guy. Sorry, but tires over 10 years need to be replaced, at 30 years old someone needs to call the cops and get him taken off the road before he kills himself or someone else.

Even Michelin says that tires 10 years old need to be replaced.

When should I change my tires? - Buying Guide | MICHELIN Motorcycle - United States

The 5 year test – before it’s too late!

When they’ve been in use for 5 years or more, tires must be examined annually by a professional mechanic. If they need to be changed, follow the bike manufacturer’s recommendations concerning the replacement of original equipment. As a precaution, any tire which has not been replaced after 10 years must be changed, even if its general condition seems good and it has not reached the limit of wear.

The NHTSA states: Some tire manufacturers cite 6 years, others recommend 10 years as the maximum service life for tires.

http://www.nhtsa.gov/nhtsa/Safety1nNum3ers/june2013/SafteyInNumbersJune2013.html

http://www.safetyresearch.net/tire-safety

Reactions: Steve101

·
Registered
654 Posts
Some pretty harsh responses in this thread, professional racers have been running different rubber compounds front and rear for decades, lately even mixed compounds from left side to right side. Will it change the handling characteristics of the bike? Of course it will. If you ride aware of those changes it is no more or less safe than changing both. You could change both and still completely change how the bike handles, ever gone from a battle axe or pilot road to an angel? All sport touring tires but the profiles are completely different, completely changes the amount of pressure needed to initiate turn in. Racers who prefer to back it in have been running soft fronts and hard rears for as long as I have been following racing

Reactions: Tigershark

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
Some pretty harsh responses in this thread, professional racers have been running different rubber compounds front and rear for decades, lately even mixed compounds from left side to right side.
we not talking about a professional racer on a closed course race track.....surely you can see the difference

Reactions: beck

·
Registered
654 Posts
I see a guy replacing a bald rear with a tire with tread. In a couple weeks or a month in sure he will do the front too. Would I go push the pace in the twistys like that? No because the stock dunlops are horrid, would I do it on missmatched tires I trusted, yes I would. Now would I commute on a stock front and sport touring rear, yes I would

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
If you saw his other thread titled "how do I wheelie this thing" it all starts to come together. Like I said not my cup of tea clearly he's following his own path. Good luck with that. Doesn't bother me until I see my insurance go up with no claims next year.

If you want to be part of a forum that all believe in the same thing - move to North Korea.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts