Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So yesterday when I left for work I had 3/4 tank of fuel left. I am not used to the fuel gauge yet but have notice it really drops off quick after the first quarter is gone. Well needless to say, I could not make it to a gas station that was ethanol free. That gas station just so happens to be about a minute from my house. In southeastern Wisconsin, in a 5 county area there is no ethanol free gas. I live in the first county going north that you can buy it. Anyway, I was about 15 miles from home and the fuel gauge was flashing. I stopped and added 1 gallon, basically enough to get home. I really wanted to not ever put ethanol in it. Whats the best plan of attack other than better future planning. Do I fill up with ethanol free fuel to dilute what is in there? Or do I burn off the fuel by ridding around and then fill up with non ethanol fuel? I can see the plus to both but wanted to know every your thoughts. I have also seen things like ethanol fuel conditioners. Are those something I should maybe always carry along in case I have to use ethanol?

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
FInding non-ethanol around me is a challenge. Fuel looses its octane if left sitting in plastic jugs, so that is not an option for me either. I do have a couple of places that I can get non-ethanol fuel, but I am not going out of my way to fill up there.

Here is my solution. I use Lucas Safeguard Ethanol Fuel Conditioner with Stabilizers. I bought a bunch of petroleum safe 2oz. containers marked a line half way up and carry two bottles (4 treatments) with me under the seat. That is the most convenient way that I can combat ethanol at every stop.

This is what they claim:

Lucas Safeguard Ethanol Fuel Conditioner with Stabilizers was developed to specifically address issues associated with using ethanol based fuels. This applies to E-10, E-15, E-85, pure ethanol and any mixtures in between including gasoline. Our Product is completely soluble in all ethanol fuels and will not harm filters. Lucas Safeguard Ethanol Fuel Conditioner and Stabilizer contains effective additives to prevent rust and corrosion associated with the use of ethanol fuels. Safeguard treats up to 80 gallons(302.8) of ethanol fuel. One ounce treats five gallons of ethanol fuel. Recommended for use in automobile and marine applications.

Product Features:
Contains Oxidation Inhibitors to help stabilize fuel and help to prevent varnish & gum formation in Ethanol & Gasoline
Works to combat deposits and helps to protect your engine oil lubricants from the harmful effects of alcohol combustion.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ya that's the stuff I saw before. I am thinking about getting a few bottles and just keeping one in my backpack for emergencies.

·
Registered
64 Posts
so umm... just out of curiosity, why do you think ethanol blend is bad? I see a lot of this but its all irrational fear, now, I don't work for shell or Texaco or anything but I have raced on almost every fuel available except jet fuel... and yes I want to. Theres no harm that will come to your engine by using an ethanol blended gasoline. As a matter of fact, you can extract more power from the combustion with ethanol than you can with gas. The thermal cracking is lower, with higher energy output. To quote Martha stewart... "its a good thing". The only 'issue' with ethanol is typically in older non fuel injected engines that aren't able to adjust the timing. This means that by using ethanol, you lower the thermal cracking point, but if you can't adjust the timing that the spark plugs fire, you can end up with a very very very slight misfire. And by slight, I do mean that even a knock sensor wouldn't pick it up. So its really moot.
Please feel free to chime in if you know something I don't about it, im always anxious to learn knew things.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Grishbok, I certainly don't get it either. I don't know of any place near me that sells non-E fuel and don't see any reason to hunt around for it. Ethanol blend works fine in my other bikes and cars with no apparent negative side effects. I did put non-E in my Vulcan on a road trip last year because it's what they had and noticed no difference. If people want to spend their time searching around then that's fine by me but acting like you are doing a disservice to your machine by putting perfectly fine ethanol blended gas in it just seems silly.

·
Registered
179 Posts
What Grishbok and Frerk said..... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
835 Posts
I'd rather not support the corn subsidies but aside from that, the 09 is designed to accept it so there's not many other reasons.

Definitely saw a difference in the fuel/air mixture when it was tuned, Nels @ 2WheelDynoWorks had to make a solid adjustment on the tune since I chose to go no-e.

Eventually, I want to invest in electric bikes. I've tested out the Zero DS and love it but the cost is a bit insane right now. I wish I had the cash to move on a $16k bike!

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
The only reason not to put ethanol laced gasoline in your tank is if you are not going to ride the bike for a several months. As long as you burn a tank of gas every month or two, no need to worry about it. I was using 50% e85 and 50% 93 in my Mazdaspeed3 to get more knock suppression with a more aggressive tune. I would leave that mixture in my gas tank for several months with no ill effects.

·
Registered
128 Posts
While the enthanol debate could go on forever, I don't think using a E10 blend is going to do much harm on this bike unless you are going to store it for a long time (i.e. over winter). On other bikes, it causes a multitude of issues stemming from the plastic tanks used by many (Italian) manufacturers. ETOH causes them to swell and there have even been a few recalls as well.

·
Registered
315 Posts
No doubt, you are talking about the Tri Par station just over the Sheboygan County line on Hwy. 57. I have used that station for literally thousands of gallons, in many different vehicles.
Never had an Issue in my bikes or cars. No need to worry, if you are using it up. The station at I-43 outside of Cedar Grove may still have ethanol free fuel, for when your bike sits in winter.

As others have said the ethanol additives work well.

·
Registered
136 Posts
There are drawbacks to ethanol-added fuels. It separates,causing a varnish-like sludge if left in the tank too long, and it does not get as good mileage as gas without the additive. There can be severe problems with an engine with carbs, such as lawnmowers, weed whackers, chain saws, etc., when left in the tank over winter.
Using it in your '09 will cause no problems if you have to use it and an additive probably is not necessary for occasional use.
Ethanol is absolute proof that the government cares not a whit about us, only their own interests.
For more info, check with the American Motorcyclists Association.

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
E10 has shelve life of about 3 months, so if you burn it within few days you're fine. The bike run a bit fat on top anyway with E10. The O2 sensor will tune the cruising range anyway... won't hurt anything on everyday's life. More than 10% corn fuel will be hard on fuel lines but E10 is safe. Not the best but safe. Methanol has been used in racecars for years and Indycar use E85 but it's design for it too.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Ethanol-free gas stations in the U.S. and Canada
Here's a list of ethanol free stations. I use one just a few miles away for all my bikes.
Yes I use this also. I pulled into the gas station yesterday and pulled this up just to confirm there was nothing in the area. South east Wisconsin is a big area of all ethanol fuel

No doubt, you are talking about the Tri Par station just over the Sheboygan County line on Hwy. 57. I have used that station for literally thousands of gallons, in many different vehicles.
Never had an Issue in my bikes or cars. No need to worry, if you are using it up. The station at I-43 outside of Cedar Grove may still have ethanol free fuel, for when your bike sits in winter.

As others have said the ethanol additives work well.
Yup that's the one I use the most. not going lie, im kind of shocked that you mentioned that. The one in cedar grove used to be all ethanol free but I believe now is only for their premium which is the same at tri par in gold old Random Lake, where I live.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I lived in the Port Washington area for 35+ years, and have storage condos south of Fredonia........small world.
I would say so. I bought my FZ at Port Yamaha. based on your location I assume you live in La Crosse and Florida for the winters and still own the storage condos as an investment? Those are pretty cool idea you had there.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I would say so. I bought my FZ at Port Yamaha. based on your location I assume you live in La Crosse and Florida for the winters and still own the storage condos as an investment? Those are pretty cool idea you had there.
Correct....say hello, to Mike and John at YOP.

·
Registered
833 Posts
As long as you are not storing the bike with E-10 not a problem. That said, I do use the non ethanol when it is convenient to go to that particular gas station.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts