Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my local gas station now has a dedicated pump with 90 octane Ethanol Free.

Only $2.99 per gallon, as appose to $2.70 for the 93 octane with ethanol.

Was wondering if this would be a better option than my regular 93 octane with ethanol.

Opinions please

·
Registered
833 Posts
Just my opinion.....ethanol free. The FZ-09 is fine on the lower octane ratings.

Reactions: Thantos

·
Registered
570 Posts
As a general rule, octane beyond what your engine requires is a waste of money; the engine won't run better, and may in fact make marginally less power. Ethanol is bad news from a power output standpoint and because it's hygroscopic (attracts and retains moisture in your fuel system) and can be hard on rubber parts in the fuel system. I use ethanol-free exclusively in my bikes.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Here in Canada we have Chevron 94 octane with zero ethanol which I've been using since I got my bike in March of 2014. I was texting with Nels yesterday from 2 Wheel Dyno Works about fuel choices, as he will be tuning my bike very soon. I asked him the question of whether I should switch to 91 ethanol blended or stick with 94 pure petrol and he said "we'll tune for the fuel you use".

I'm sure I've been wasting money so far on the 94 octane gas especially when I had a stock exhaust, but after Nels tunes it for my Akra carbon and 94 octane I should be getting max bang for the $.

On a side note he told me he's tuned over 400 FZ-09's in the past 1.5 years and said I can expect 10+ hp more at the rear tire after he's done tuning.

Sooo excited :toothy9:

Reactions: Tigershark

·
Registered
654 Posts
I would try the ethanol free 90, listen for pinging, especially at high rpm, if you hear none stick with it.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Ethanol=bad
90 octane is plenty good. It's not that high a compression.
Unless someone else at sea level has had knocking with 90.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Ethanol=bad
90 octane is plenty good. It's not that high a compression.
Unless someone else at sea level has had knocking with 90.

·
Registered
4,616 Posts
Here in Canada we have Chevron 94 octane with zero ethanol which I've been using since I got my bike in March of 2014. I was texting with Nels yesterday from 2 Wheel Dyno Works about fuel choices, as he will be tuning my bike very soon. I asked him the question of whether I should switch to 91 ethanol blended or stick with 94 pure petrol and he said "we'll tune for the fuel you use".

I'm sure I've been wasting money so far on the 94 octane gas especially when I had a stock exhaust, but after Nels tunes it for my Akra carbon and 94 octane I should be getting max bang for the $.

On a side note he told me he's tuned over 400 FZ-09's in the past 1.5 years and said I can expect 10+ hp more at the rear tire after he's done tuning.

Sooo excited :toothy9:
Sounds like a great tune. That's a big power gain.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Man you guys are lucky to have ethanol free gas available.

No such option here in save the planet Communist California.

Ah but we have roads and weather made in heaven.

Guess I should not complain.

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
I would personally keep away from anything with Ethanol, so I would choose the 90 octane, since that should be the minimum octane number you will be getting.

If I had no other choice than to use some Ethanol blended fuel, it would only be in a pinch and I'd make sure to burn it all out of the tank as soon as possible. Even my DR650SE only calls for a minimum of 87 octane full. It also calls for no more than 5% ethanol fuel, which automatically means using a higher octane fuel around here. So I have been running premium non-ethanol fuel just to avoid any ethanol fuel related problems.

The few cents you might save using cheaper fuel, is not worth it when it comes to keeping your fuel system clean. Lots of people who have no other choice than to run ethanol blended fuels, use fuel additives like STA-BIL® Ethanol Fuel Treatment & Stabilizer to protect against ethanol related damage. Just make sure it is something that works ok with your bike.

STA-BIL® Ethanol Fuel Treatment & Stabilizer

An interesting article on Cycle World site:

Ethanol In Gasoline- What You Need To Know

·
Registered
806 Posts
Vcyclenut recommended 91 or higher after getting the flash with a akra carbon to.

We have 91 octane ethanol free around here and that's what I use.

A lot of guys run that in there sleds around here to I see them filling gas cans with it.

Sucks though we only have 3 stations that carry it and there all in the city.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
All this ETHONAL debacle and paranoia started back in 2006 when Ethanol was introduced in the Unites States gas supply....and not anywhere else on the planet. At that time....motorcycle manufacturers were not aware that Ethanol would eat up certain metals..o-rings...fuel lines...etc. Since 2006 the problem was addressed and since about 2008 no motorcycles or cars are affected by Ethanol at all.

So...if you ride a bike made BEFORE 2008...worry about Ethanol in your gas. If you ride a bike made in 2008 or later....Ethanol has absolutely no effect on it at all.

Reactions: jth_fz09 and beck

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
As a general rule, octane beyond what your engine requires is a waste of money; the engine won't run better, and may in fact make marginally less power. Ethanol is bad news from a power output standpoint and because it's hygroscopic (attracts and retains moisture in your fuel system) and can be hard on rubber parts in the fuel system. I use ethanol-free exclusively in my bikes.
Actually e-85 has a higher knock rating than 93. I used to run a 50/50 mixture of 93 and e85 in my speed 3. My turner was able to get more timing before inducing knock with the e85 mixture. On straight 93 I made 270 whp. On the e85/93 mixture I made 290whp.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
All this ETHONAL debacle and paranoia started back in 2006 when Ethanol was introduced in the Unites States gas supply....and not anywhere else on the planet. At that time....motorcycle manufacturers were not aware that Ethanol would eat up certain metals..o-rings...fuel lines...etc. Since 2006 the problem was addressed and since about 2008 no motorcycles or cars are affected by Ethanol at all.

So...if you ride a bike made BEFORE 2008...worry about Ethanol in your gas. If you ride a bike made in 2008 or later....Ethanol has absolutely no effect on it at all.
i haven't seen any data on this but similar to Hawkerjet - you simply can't buy ethanol free gas in NJ. I've had to use ethanol gas (no more than 15% ethanol mind you as a state law) in plastic tank lawn mowers, snowblowers and metal tank motorcycle engines - my bikes sit most of the winter with stabilizer - at the beginning of the season i put a fuel additive in - i've had zero engine issues related to gasoline. Everyone that i know who lives around me - same deal - unless you have gas sitting for a long time - it will gunk up for sure - but if you take the right precautions i dont see an issue or to be scared about it.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Man you guys are lucky to have ethanol free gas available.

No such option here in save the planet Communist California.
One of many reasons I don't want to live in CA. In addition to the taxes, cost of living, registration costs, politics, having to get rid of a significant part of my firearms collection...I could go on and on. However, it is beautiful and a great place to visit.

As of just recently it is legal in Oregon to pump ethanol free fuel directly into your vehicle. Before you had to pump it into a can first. Every time I'd take my old Toyota pickup for a drive I had to pull up to the pump, get the can out of the back, have the attendant fill the can, I dump the can into the truck, attendant fills can, I dump it into the truck, and repeat one or two more times. Goddamn joke. Glad they finally pulled their heads out for a minute.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
One of many reasons I don't want to live in CA. In addition to the taxes, cost of living, registration costs, politics, having to get rid of a significant part of my firearms collection...I could go on and on. However, it is beautiful and a great place to visit.

As of just recently it is legal in Oregon to pump ethanol free fuel directly into your vehicle. Before you had to pump it into a can first. Every time I'd take my old Toyota pickup for a drive I had to pull up to the pump, get the can out of the back, have the attendant fill the can, I dump the can into the truck, attendant fills can, I dump it into the truck, and repeat one or two more times. Goddamn joke. Glad they finally pulled their heads out for a minute.
Yes, all those downsides, but the two pro's far outweigh any negatives.

1.\ You can split lanes.
2.\ You have some amazing roads.

I'd love to live in California.

·
Registered
464 Posts
I've never had a problem using gas with ethanol(about 10% in New York) in any vehicles I have owned or used, obviously I have no choice but to use it but would rather use a higher octane even if the lower octane is ethanol free, just my preference, and like stated above engines are plenty capable of handling the ethanol in gasoline. Even some older vehicles I've owned were fine their il entire lifespan like quads, dirt bikes, etc. only time I've ever had a problem is when something sat for months at a time and carbs got gunked up, all I do now is too off my fuel tank and add a bit of stabilizer/treatment for the winter and I'm good to go!

·
Registered
612 Posts
I watched a documentary about oil and different fuels a few months back and they showed that Brazil and many other countries use ethanol almost exclusively, made from sugar cane. Obviously they drive the same cars as we have in North America in Brazil. I would say the major backlash against ethanol is coming from the U.S. and Canada oil lobby folk. Ethanol burns much cleaner than petrol and can be made anywhere that has arable crop land. Do the people from OPEC and other large oil interest want people using ethanol Fu€k no. Here in Vancouver there is only 1 gas station in a city of almost 2.5 million that sells E85 and its a 40 minute drive from me in good traffic.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts