Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I have spent a couple of months checking out the site, getting ideas, etc. while I have been (slowly) building an FZ-09 of my own. I have been riding higher end bikes for a while and while I loved the appearance, riding position and price of the FZ-09, I was fully aware of its weaknesses as well as its strengths. I set out to build a high performing street bike on par or exceeding the capabilities of other bikes in this genre with a much lower investment. Have I succeeded? Time will tell. A bit about me. I'm mid 40's, well north of 200 lbs, with a road racing background. I wasn't using my track bike very much and I was looking for something that I could join a few friends on a sporting Sat morning ride, hopefully this fits the bill. Anyway, below is a list of mods along with a few pictures. I am interested in your opinion.

Front suspension: Ohlins R&T 30mm cartridges, 1.0 kg ohlins springs
Rear suspension: Penske 8983
Steering stabilizer: GPR V4
Master cylinder: Brembo RCS 19
Front calipers: Brembo M4 Monobloc, sintered pads
Brake lines: Galfer stainless black
Clutch lever: ASV black
Radiator guard: Radguard
Frame sliders: Woodcraft
Tires: Sportmax Q3

IMG_0054-1.jpg IMG_0056.JPG IMG_0057.JPG IMG_0059.JPG IMG_0060.JPG

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
nice build, digging those calipers and suspension setup.

Curious about what your gonna do to the engine to make this a 'high performance' street bike.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Looking good. I don't see a reservoir for the front brake, what's going on there?

With everything else you've done seems like you should have clubmans. ;)

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
You can see it in the 4th photo... I don't know if I would have chosen a plain 'ol translucent plastic one... but lord knows he's spent enough $$ already!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Can you expand on the Ohlin fork modifications? Price, availability and so forth?
Ohlins 30MM fork cartridge, part number FGK 230. Brand new part number for the FZ-09. 7 came into the US last Friday, 3 were already sold.
Price: approximately $1300 + springs and install
Availability: available through your dealer now

Just like the GP Suspension, Traxxion, etc., it replaces the entire internals of the fork leaving you with a Road & Track 30MM fork

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Nice and well done! Have you done the calipers only or the big brake kit too... R6's?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
No, I left the stock rotors for now. The Brembo HPK line allows you to fit the same caliper to most bikes by changing the spacer size. The spacer I am using is 7mm. When you are ready to upgrade the rotors, you can simply add the larger rotors and increase the size of the spacer

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hi. I'm still learning and hope to learn more. What's the use of the reservoir on the Penske 8983 shock.? Is it for easier access to do some shock adjustment compare to the single click 8900 model.?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
The remote reservoirs are attached to the shocks through a hose that transfers oil. Inside the reservoir is a polyurethane bladder that separates the nitrogen from the oil. There are two advantages to this. One is that the oil capacity of the shock is increased, which aids in cooling the shock fluid and increases the service life of the oil; and the second is that the compression and rebound valving will stay consistent under the most severe off-road terrain or closed-course track conditions.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Amazes me that the oil flow through the line is rapid enough.

Edit, though I guess the flow is just enough for the volume of the shaft going in and out of the shock?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts