Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I end up commuting a pretty long distance every day, and I was sick of feeling like I was being blown off the bike, I bought the most old-man, dorkiest windscreen I could find, the Ermax Touring shield - Ermax Touring Screen Windshield for Yamaha FZ09

The install was pretty...interesting. Actually not bad, but the instructions were pretty much useless, as it was a single poorly translated page with 2 photocopied pictures. Also, the support brackets were pre-assembled, but incorrectly.

Vehicle Motorcycle Motor vehicle Windshield Motorcycle accessories Vehicle Auto part Motorcycle Engine Car

Honestly, now that I look at the catalog page above, I think I need to re-adjust the angle of the screen to be more upright. The support bracket "posts" as they are now almost block the blinker/horn/etc buttons. Also, it does do a great job of blocking the air from my chest, but actually makes it worse since now ALL of the air hits me right around forehead level and is super loud in my helmet, as well as cause my head to weirdly vibrate.

Attachments

·
Registered
227 Posts
I can't recall trying a windscreen I liked. Even the windscreen on a 2010 BMW K1300GT I rented gave me a headache when I raised it to the max, and at the lower setting offered little protection and there was still buffeting. I've had only naked bikes and I realize that there's nothing like juts having the wind even across your body. Most windscreens just create buffeting or condense the wind on your helmet. I'd rather just relax and lean a bit in the wind, turbulence free.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Send it back and get the Madstad windscreen. It's adjustable. Nice.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Thanks for the post. I made a set up similar to that for the winter. I commute about 100 miles, and I wanted the wind off during the winter. I'm currently using an Ermax 33 for warm weather. Parabellum has a large screen out, I don't believe it's as wide.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Send it back and get the Madstad windscreen. It's adjustable. Nice.
yeah, I saw that one, but didn't want to spend that much in case I ended up hating having a windscreen. (Now I sort of wish I had, as I like that system)

Update to my review: Last night I adjusted the screen to be as "vertical" as possible, and it blocks the wind much better, especially above 60 MPH. I think If I was 6 foot or under I'd be completely "in the bubble" of air. Much smoother, and also the support rods no longer block the switches, so chalk up my initial review as a not-great install job.

One weird thing I noticed, and maybe it's not related, but could be due to the change in aerodynamics, but I get a lot more engine heat on my legs now, like it's not getting "sucked away" as well as it was before.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts