Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
After riding about 7000 miles behind the Ermax 25 I decided to give the Puig Sport a try. Ordered it from Revzilla yesterday and it showed up at my door late today.

Rode home from Fresno today, 270 miles at 80 mph behind the Ermax, so the wind blast characteristics were fresh in my mind.

Took about 20 minutes to install the Puig then off for a test run down the freeway.

Right away I noticed less wind pressure on my chest at 80 mph. I chose 80 so the comparison to the Ermax would be an honest one.

Also the airflow behind the Puig is smoother or less turbulent than the Ermax. The shape of the Puig is certainly more aerodynamic than the Ermax. Having more slope and a better trailing edge design causes the air to flow in a more laminar fashion with the Puig. This results is a smoother ride.

I believe my $103 investment was a good one.

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
I've had the Puig Sport for awhile and have No complaints. Choosing what I thought would work best was somewhat of a gamble....but it seems to have payed off. :cool:

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
I do a lot of highway riding and being so close to the mountains we can get some nasty west winds and gusty winds some days.

So I need a bit more wind protection and went with a slightly larger screen, the MRA VarioTouringScreen. I have had this screen on other bikes and really like the adjustable spoiler for different riding conditions.

I know it's not everyone's preference, but it works great in strong headwinds.

Off the web and the actual screen is slightly different at the bottom, it has a bit larger opening just above the headlight.

MRA VarioTouringScreen Windshield.JPG

·
Registered
263 Posts
Where did you buy yours? I think I'm going to get one. At 6'3 I think it will be more for looks than anything else for me.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Well I guess I know what I'm adding to my bike pretty soon, thanks for posting. I'm about to take it for its fist long ride (400 miles each way on a weekend). Longest I've done is like 120 miles of cruising with friends, and 1 hour of consecutive highway riding last night. I wasn't very tired at all but I'm sure that a 5 hour trip will be exhausting and I'm not about to risk riding down without a windscreen. I'm pretty short and tend to lean forward when I ride (still in the supersport mindset), so its not too bad on my chest.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Where did you buy yours? I think I'm going to get one. At 6'3 I think it will be more for looks than anything else for me.
Got it at online at Revzilla.

It does make a difference besides just looking good.

·
Registered
272 Posts
The ermax 25cm is the only one I 've tried so hawkerjet has tried both back to back so I will take a look at the puig for sure. That being said the one thing I know is windscreens are personal taste for looks and how they work . the ermax is doing a good job for me at 5ft 9in tall but I know there can always be better for:cool: $103 I just might give it a try. RR :cool:

·
Registered
23 Posts
thanks for the info on the puig versus the ermax, this is really helpful. like you, i find the air coming off the ermax to be turbulent. it does keep air off the body but the air hits me at the shoulders and is noisy. sounds like i should try the puig for cleaner air. fwiw, i also have the mra vario, and for me it gives a complete clean airflow with no buffeting at all. i like it for touring but i wanted something smaller for day to day.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
I've been thinking about a windscreen for a while. I actually don't mind the air blast up to about 80 and looks, though a consideration, is not my main concern. My primary reason for getting one would be to reduce aerodynamic drag and hopefully it will make a small, but measurable difference in cruising range. Since my slightly forward leaning upper body has all the aerodynamics of a billboard, I figure the more the air is smoothly deflected around my body, the better it will be. I was thinking of going with the Puig Touring screen. Though bigger than the sport screen, it's still smaller than most other touring screens and looks more aerodynamic to me. What do you guys think about that?

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
I carefully considered both Puig screens and ended up flipping a coin -- in many cases, "less is more." :cool:

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I've been thinking about a windscreen for a while. I actually don't mind the air blast up to about 80 and looks, though a consideration, is not my main concern. My primary reason for getting one would be to reduce aerodynamic drag and hopefully it will make a small, but measurable difference in cruising range. Since my slightly forward leaning upper body has all the aerodynamics of a billboard, I figure the more the air is smoothly deflected around my body, the better it will be. I was thinking of going with the Puig Touring screen. Though bigger than the sport screen, it's still smaller than most other touring screens and looks more aerodynamic to me. What do you guys think about that?
I thought about the touring screen but got a little nervous after hearing about some front end wobble or shake with the bigger ones above 100 mph.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I have the Puig touring screen on my 09. I like it a lot, took the wind off my body and directed it towards my helmet. Sits about the same height as the Puig on my gsxr. I only hit about 100mph on mine, but didn't notice any wobble due to it than without. Definately made a difference on chest pressure though, so I feel more stable. Think after I fix the stock forks, front end will be solid.

·
Registered
337 Posts
+1 on the Puig, that is why I waited for them before buying another brand. No other brand published aerodynamic diagrams showing wind flow and pressure plus IMO it is one of the best looking screens.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Gosh did I mention I really LIKE my new Puig Sport Screen?

Just got back from a quick 80 miler, all on the freeway. This thing definitely softens up the the air hitting you in the chest.

With my Ermax my chest would begin to itch where the turbulent air hit me. With the Puig I still feel the air hitting me but it feels smoother and less irritating.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Unfortunately, these windscreens are a pretty individual thing. Depends on the length of your torso and how high your head and chest are. I am 5'11" but I have a long torso. Means that windscreens that normal people my height think are great are inadequate and the wind hits me in the chest. MRA touring, OK but wind in the chest. Still better than nothing.

·
Registered
833 Posts
I thought about the touring screen but got a little nervous after hearing about some front end wobble or shake with the bigger ones above 100 mph.
I have the Puig touring and it is the opposite of that. Makes the bike feel more planted at triple digit speeds. And also helps you stay on the bike also:cool:. One of the best mods I have done for sure!

Reactions: Hawkerjet

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have been trying to figure out which screen to get but after reading all the positive feedback for Puig I think I'm going with their touring one. Thank you everyone for your input.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts