Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looks like EBR is going to disappear about as fast as they came. Methinks Eric Buell needs to find a new occupation, because he can't figure out how to build motorcycles and make money doing it.

Erik Buell Racing closes, files for receivership

Reactions: Tigershark

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
I saw this coming....around my home state they are advertising the EBR 1190's for 14,999---- which is 4K off MSRP.... .and they still cant sell them....

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Wow, one would think that with the financial backing of Hero MotoCorp he could've figured out a way to build bikes that were priced competitively enough to be profitable. His products, while well engineered, were too niche-and too pricey-for the still rebounding two wheeled market. It's a shame, really...

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
Didnt see how building 2 bikes at the top 5% high end of the bike market was going to net them many sales (particularly with a very limited dealer network).

·
Super Moderator
4,340 Posts
And they just had their demo truck at TWoS in Suches, Georgia a couple of weeks ago. A buddy told me he enjoyed ripping on the naked version. Eric has had a decent run. There aren't many people that can say they chased their dream for 30 years while still managing to put food on the table every night. I see him as a lucky man.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Damn. And I thought Larry Pegram really had a shot in World Superbike this year.
Had a shot at what? Last place finishes? Larry Pegram had ZERO chance of scoring a single point in any WSB race. They couldn't even get on the podium in an AMA race.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
And they just had their demo truck at TWoS in Suches, Georgia a couple of weeks ago. A buddy told me he enjoyed ripping on the naked version. Eric has had a decent run. There aren't many people that can say they chased their dream for 30 years while still managing to put food on the table every night. I see him as a lucky man.
well said. though who knows how much money he has left now hah.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
It is a shame but then it is such a niche market it is hard to see how they could make money.

I would bet that Hero will now own all the intellectual property (designs, TMs, patents, etc.).

Maybe Eric can go help Hero design and build better bikes in India

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
They just had a demo truck in Louisville last week.

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
It's hard to shake off the stigma of an already failed product especially when the economy is not in the greatest shape. It will be interesting to see if other revivals like Indian motorcycles survive. Another good reason to stick with one of the big four Japanese motorcycle brands?

5 Best Japanese Motorcycles 2014 - Gear Patrol

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Honestly, Triumph is the only brand that was brought back to life in the last 30 years and is thriving. They did it by making a bunch of mainstream, modular bikes, and some damn good marketing strategy with Mission Impossible. Every boutique maker that's tried to make a limited run, extremely expensive product had failed.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Honestly, Triumph is the only brand that was brought back to life in the last 30 years and is thriving. They did it by making a bunch of mainstream, modular bikes, and some damn good marketing strategy with Mission Impossible. Every boutique maker that's tried to make a limited run, extremely expensive product had failed.
Actually Indian is seeing a lot of profit and interest. Getting a lot of positive media attention also.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Actually Indian is seeing a lot of profit and interest. Getting a lot of positive media attention also.
In its 3rd or 4th iteration with no relationship other than the name between the different iterations.

First "revival" was by a group in Gilroy, CA that wanted to build bikes using S&S HD clone/stroker motors.

They brought in investors to design a new engine and that bankrupted them.

Wait a couple of years and then some guy from the east coast that had something to do with classic boat brands and designs and he plays around with Indian for a couple of years and then it goes dormant again.

Then Polaris/Victory Motorcycles bought the name from that east coast guy and then spent a couple of years developing a new engine.

Now with Polaris/Victory support, Indian is back and seeming to do well, but to say it is a success is a bit early yet and it is nothing like the revival and success of Triumph.

·
Super Moderator
4,340 Posts
Had a shot at what? Last place finishes? Larry Pegram had ZERO chance of scoring a single point in any WSB race. They couldn't even get on the podium in an AMA race.
Well actually, The Worm did score two points in the opening round at Aragon. Canepa also scored a point.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
A shame about EBR, but certainly not a surprise. I wonder how he would feel about working at Royal Enfield...

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
What do Yamaha, Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki, Victory, Indian, and BMW all have in common? Motorcycles aren't their sole source of revenue. You heard it here first...there is no money in making motorcycles, let alone sport bikes. I sincerely hope Erik lands on his feet. He's motivated, to say the least.
He should have had these 2 bikes and an ebr scooter. No one listened to me :(

·
Vendor
3,297 Posts
I think he might have been pursuing something along those lines with Hero. The most recent RUMOR I read which seems to hold water is that the company would go into receivership and could later be sold for pennies on the dollar...to Hero, perhaps? This could give them an instant NA presence.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts