Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So ive had my 09 for about 2 months with around 1,800 miles so far and since ive gotten ive had stalling issues.

Let me explain....

Starts up fine, runs fine, but when I really really open up the throtle and rev matching to down shift it stalls. Not all the time, but has been a few times. One time I was riding in traffic and getting on it to get in with traffic. Hit all the way to third, clutch in kick up to fourth, boom bikes dead dropped the clutch not knowing almost lost control, gained control popped the clutch quick and gave gas and popped back on. Very scary. Now today rode for a bit got on it. Hit a red light so ive down shifted and rev matched around 45mph boom again, dead.

It also happens sometimes when im stopped in nutral and if I give really quick short revs such as like a little blip it knocks a few times. If done enough, engine dies. Taken it to the dealer had the spark plugs changed thinking it might be a spark issue as the dealer said. Still doing it. Idk what to do. Thinking about getting rid of it. What should I check or look for to fix my issue guys?:confused:

·
Registered
49 Posts
Check the kickstand switch..Vibrations..hint hint

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've noticed when I blip the throttle at idle in neutral it'll stall too. Hopefully my issue doesn't manifest into your but throwing in my two cents that I've definitely had it happen and I've only owned the bike for a day! I assume it has something to do with the fuel map not being great and the ECU still learning.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hope you dont get the experince i had with almost going down due to it stalling out at 45-50mph. that was some scarry stuff. :binkybaby: :notworthy:

Reactions: P'Few

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Check both safety switches, kickstand and clutch. Some owners have found the clutch switch connector was loose.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Your problem could be fuel related. Have you synched the throttle bodies yet? Are you using 93 octane?

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
Seems like a tune issue too. Stock exhaut? Investing few $ in a tuner or flash ecu will make the ride more enjoyable.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Why the hell is there a clutch switch??
For the novice who can't seem to remember to pull the clutch in or put the trans in neutral when they hit the starter... so really the lawyers/law makers made them do it!

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Removed insult really? So suggesting that someone needs to fix grammar, syntax, spelling, and punctuation errors is insulting now? Or was the word processor recommendation the insult? @cjhortn? I mean really, I had a hard time reading what the OP wrote. Forgive me for trying to suggest something that would make this forum better. It won't happen again.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Your problem could be fuel related. Have you synched the throttle bodies yet? Are you using 93 octane?
That was another thing I was thinkin. It has to be a fuel issue. I havnt synced my throttle bodies, and to be honest I dont know how. Ive never had this problem. Then again I think dirtbikes are a little different. Its my first street bike. :confused:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Seems like a tune issue too. Stock exhaut? Investing few $ in a tuner or flash ecu will make the ride more enjoyable.

Yeah. My 09 still has the stock pipe and I have no idea what I want yet. And im glad you brought up ECU flash because one of the guys at my dealer said there isnt one yet but ive heard of it on the forums. Told me it was a bad idea and really bad for your engine. In all honesty, I think they just talk out there ass because im new to street bikes :newbie:

Reactions: Steve101

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
....they just talk out their ass.....so sad.....So True. :eagerness:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Check both safety switches, kickstand and clutch. Some owners have found the clutch switch connector was loose.
Well I changed my levers to some ASV shorty levers and everything seemed tight and good. Kick stand same thing. Now your proably thinking maybe its the new levers? No I had the issue before even installing them. I even brought it back to the dealer and they said they changed the spark plugs, I should be ok now. Still doing it. Idk what else to do. Might have to switch over to the other side and take my loss with my lovley 09 :crushed:

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
Yeah. My 09 still has the stock pipe and I have no idea what I want yet. And im glad you brought up ECU flash because one of the guys at my dealer said there isnt one yet but ive heard of it on the forums. Told me it was a bad idea and really bad for your engine. In all honesty, I think they just talk out there ass because im new to street bikes :newbie:
Stealership are good at 2 things. Buy parts and buy bikes. One thing sure is you will find more valuable information about this bike here than any other stealership.

I will get some EJK fuel controller sometime this week (sold out) that is one good option, then it's very easy to tune for your future exhaust. Oyher option is to get your ecu flash. But then you will need to send it back once you get your exhaust to add the tune.

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
Call Yamaha Direct -- just because the stealership can't determine the problem doesn't mean it doesn't exist. It's under Warranty from Yamaha. Put it in their hands. Other wards you'd be selling a defective bike -- Full Disclosure.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Stealership are good at 2 things. Buy parts and buy bikes. One thing sure is you will find more valuable information about this bike here than any other stealership.

I will get some EJK fuel controller sometime this week (sold out) that is one good option, then it's very easy to tune for your future exhaust. Oyher option is to get your ecu flash. But then you will need to send it back once you get your exhaust to add the tune.
How exsactly does a ecu flash work? Is it like a car where you hook it up to the computer and run it or is it something like a power comander? Plug and play type of thing? Sorry to come off as a newbie but ive only delt with small things on cars and mostly dirtbikes my life.

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
How exsactly does a ecu flash work? Is it like a car where you hook it up to the computer and run it or is it something like a power comander? Plug and play type of thing? Sorry to come off as a newbie but ive only delt with small things on cars and mostly dirtbikes my life.
They reprogram the ECU... Throttle, ignition & fuel if you want to. Also some other goodies like fan temp, speed limiter

Check out flash tune website for more info. I personally have the flash and do fuel trim with a fuel controller instead.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Call Yamaha Direct -- just because the stealership can't determine the problem doesn't mean it doesn't exist. It's under Warranty from Yamaha. Put it in their hands. Other wards you'd be selling a defective bike -- Full Disclosure.
Yeah I guess your right. Only problem is my closest yamaha dealer is the ones who tried to find the problem. Told me it will be covered no charge call me a week later to come pick it up and say o hey you owe 125 dollars because we fixed it and changed your spark plugs and those arnt covered. Told them they can lick my big toe. Why wasnt I asked to have the service done. They shut up real quick. Handed my keys and off I went. But after that I dont want them touching my bike because we all know. When someone who dont like you go and help you they wont work to there full potential. Anyway I live in Connecticut and there is no actual yamaha dealership for hours that I know of.

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
Maybe "Yamaha" will guide the Stealership....and it can be fixed. Maybe Yamaha know something we don't....Maybe they swap out your bike. Go for it.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts