Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was riding 2 up (wife was riding in the back) and I was going on a major highway from another major highway (interstate change). There was a curved overpass that I had to go through with a narrow shoulder. I was in "B" mode but let off the throttle (in 6th gear) to switch to "A" mode. I was going probably around 50-60mph when the engine cut off right after I pressed the button to switch modes. It was a good thing I didn't panic and I slowed to a stop on the right-hand shoulder lane. This lane was very small (only big enough for a motorcycle). It started right up no problem after I came to a complete stop. Anyone have this issue? Could this be a potential recall from Yamaha? I could imagine how dangerous this could be to a new rider as it could potentially make them panic.

I might call up the dealer and inquire about it, but before I do, I want to see if anyone else is having this issue. The bike is BONE STOCK. No mods on it whatsoever.

·
Registered
34 Posts
It hasn't happened to me, but this situation has come up here before. How many miles? 2014 - have you had the factory flash? Glad to here it started right back up.

·
Super Moderator
5,762 Posts
well, according to the manual, you are supposed to stand still when changing mods ;)
I'm at work so I don't have the manual with me, but I believe it says that the throttle must be closed,....not standing still. I've changed mine on the fly many times without any issues....BTW...moving this to the correct section.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Any chance you bumped the killswitch? I did that once. . .

·
Registered
885 Posts
There are very few rides where I don't switch between all three modes. Sometimes while stopped; probably more often while moving. Never a mode selection related stall. But I understand how a two-up highway speed stall feels and it isn't good.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It hasn't happened to me, but this situation has come up here before. How many miles? 2014 - have you had the factory flash? Glad to here it started right back up.
I just hit over 800 miles and did the 600-mile break in service. The ECU reflash was done as well as the headlight recall. I do, however, have a faulty CCT which is on order. I highly doubt that would have anything to do with it. If the cam chain skipped a tooth, it would run like crap am I correct? It runs fine now, but the fact that it just cut off on me is really sketchy.

I'm pretty positive I didn't bump the kill switch. I'm hoping that's what I did but I really doubt it. I'll see if it happens again.

·
Registered
420 Posts
I'm at work so I don't have the manual with me, but I believe it says that the throttle must be closed,....not standing still. I've changed mine on the fly many times without any issues....BTW...moving this to the correct section.
That's correct - throttle closed.

·
Super Moderator
5,762 Posts
It seems like I remember in the other thread about this that there was maybe a "safety" built into the ECU software to shut the engine down if trying to switch modes with the throttle open......anyone else remember that discussion?

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
I change modes while riding all the time with no problems, and that is before and after the yamaha flash, and then after the aftermarket flash.
Only time i had a problem was when i accidentally bumped the kill switch while doing it, no problem with changing modes, only with sliding the kill switch to off.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
I change modes sometimes several times in a ride... never had it stall. I have accidentally hit the kill switch... twice (damn bumpy roads!).

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
I've tried switching modes with the throttle open just to see if I could...it won't switch, but it never killed the motor either. You have a Cali bike, maybe the emissions controls exacerbate the issue on those models, IDK...

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
Glad you were able to get it over to the side of the road safely, but If it happens again, just pull the clutch and hit the start button..No need to pull over and stop

Reactions: STEVEP and DNFDOUG

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Okay I tried replicating the problem, and guess what? I accidentally hit the kill switch. I'm gonna take back what I said about me being positive I didn't hit it. I guess I'm not quite used to the position of the button and I don't really look down to press it. I couldn't replicate the problem without hitting the kill switch. Sorry for the confusion.

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
I just hit over 800 miles and did the 600-mile break in service. The ECU reflash was done as well as the headlight recall. I do, however, have a faulty CCT which is on order. I highly doubt that would have anything to do with it. If the cam chain skipped a tooth, it would run like crap am I correct? It runs fine now, but the fact that it just cut off on me is really sketchy.

I'm pretty positive I didn't bump the kill switch. I'm hoping that's what I did but I really doubt it. I'll see if it happens again.
Google "Ape CCT." I believe the Ape is' 1000% more reliable than Any CCT Yamaha has ever made for Any bike.

Better safe/secure than sorry....:cool:

·
Registered
150 Posts
No worries I did the same thing leaving the dealership!

Okay I tried replicating the problem, and guess what? I accidentally hit the kill switch. I'm gonna take back what I said about me being positive I didn't hit it. I guess I'm not quite used to the position of the button and I don't really look down to press it. I couldn't replicate the problem without hitting the kill switch. Sorry for the confusion.

·
Registered
189 Posts
standing still

page 3-14

"WARNING:
DO NOT CHANGE the D-MODE WHILE VEHICLE IS MOVING."

std and A mode are the same on my bike, only change to B in HEAVY rain :)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts