Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Fixing to do my first 600 mile oil change. Looking in the "Periodic Maintenance" section of FZ09 guide, page 3-23, calls for a gasket between drain bolt and crankcase... After inspecting by bike (and all my other bikes) seems to be metal against metal, no extra gasket. Can someone help me verify if I need this extra part or is the bolt got a flat head/washer type surface? hoping not have to go to dealer for a little gasket if not necessary...
Thank you kindly :)

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Should be a copper crush washer.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Sometimes the washer looks like it's part of the bolt. Mine was crushed so tightly i had to pry it off...

·
Registered
857 Posts
The washer appears to be part of the drain plug. So all you need is oil and an oil filter. Good luck taking your original filter off the first time.

Ride Safe.

·
Registered
155 Posts
The washer appears to be part of the drain plug. So all you need is oil and an oil filter. Good luck taking your original filter off the first time.

Ride Safe.
Just make sure you use the right kind of filter wrench. The best type is one that works off a ratchet, and clamps down tighter as you turn. So the harder it is to turn, the harder the jaws clamp down all around the filter. I've never found a filter that can't be removed since getting that tool. Here's what it looks like.

g2198_300px.jpg

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
According to the parts list, it a gasket, which should be a softer metal alloy material that you should be able to use a couple of times. Lots of times it is an aluminium washer, that is a specific size and to buy one is not to expensive. A lot of cars use this same idea to help seal the drain plug, and it needs to be replaced once in a while.

oil-plug-washer.jpg

The dealer should be installing a new drain plug washer (gasket) at every oil change. I know on some bikes, they actually change the whole drain plug every few oil changes.

Reactions: FZipper09

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
The washer is not designed to stop leaks. It is designed to prevent over tightening of the engine oil drain bolt. Hence the crush washer name.

Reactions: FZipper09

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Just make sure you use the right kind of filter wrench. The best type is one that works off a ratchet, and clamps down tighter as you turn. So the harder it is to turn, the harder the jaws clamp down all around the filter. I've never found a filter that can't be removed since getting that tool. Here's what it looks like.

View attachment 15008
Thanks for the picture of oil filter gadget (WalMart?) - I have the rubber strap type (slips easily)... Don't know why they have to put them on so tight for... I've had to punch holes in them before with screw drivers... To get a grip... erhhh!!

·
Registered
768 Posts

View attachment 15008
http://www.fz09.org/forum/6-fz-09-general-discussion/3021-low-profile-drain-plugs-5.html

Never slips and very low-profile.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
I have never had to replace a drain plug gasket on anything. Never had a leak either. In a crunch I ran without a drain plug gasket entirely (found it later) on one of my dirt bikes and it still didn't leak. If it's not cracked or paper-thin from over-tightening, there's no reason to replace it IMO.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts