Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a new 2015 FZ09 it has less than 1000 miles. cant help but notice a strange almost howling noise from the engine... more prominent when engine is cold.
also a grinding when the clutch is not pulled in (squeezed). brought it back to the dealer in Dallas, Freedom Powersports, service manager claims its normal...
hmm

·
Registered
276 Posts
The clutch chatters when lever is not pulled in in neutral. I don't know about a howl but the engine whines in 3rd gear and 6th gear at certain rpms. For me 6th gear whines from 3500-4500 rpms. I guess the exhaust sounds like it howls a bit, but you are stating that it is the engine. In part I think the engine seems noisier because the exhaust is so quiet.

I suggest checking your chain though. The dealers have been ratcheting them tight and perhaps that might make a howling sound. The first thing I did when I got the bike home was to loosen the chain so it flexed about an inch.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Normal.. This engine is noisy. It whines in 3rd and 6th gear. Clutch chatters when released in N. Ticks at start up. Its character! :) Its a great bike. Dont worry about it and enjoy it. And yes... Loosen your chain up to about an inch of play.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Normal.. This engine is noisy. It whines in 3rd and 6th gear. Clutch chatters when released in N. Ticks at start up. Its character! :) Its a great bike. Dont worry about it and enjoy it. And yes... Loosen your chain up to about an inch of play.
I get all of those mentioned above, but I still wonder what the noise is when I am lets say first gear, I pull the clutch in and when I rev it up with clutch in there is like a clunking sound. Then when I release the throttle with the clutch in its the same sound. I also get that same sound when I lock my back tire up. Lets just say I wanted to get comfortable and see what it takes to lock it up, but I felt that same clunk there. Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
I also get that same sound when I lock my back tire up. Lets just say I wanted to get comfortable and see what it takes to lock it up, but I felt that same clunk there. Any ideas?
this particular clunk is due to the clearance between the rear caliper bracket locating slot and the mating protrusion on the swingarm. the bracket 'floats' and the play between the bracket and swingarm causes a clunk. it's normal.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Your mission, should you believe there is truly a problem with your engine:

Try to kill it before the warranty is up. In my experience, it will usually wear itself in, quiet down, and become a trust-worthy workhorse and exhibit many years of useful service & hooliganism.

Mine is still a bit noisy at 3300 miles, I think the whine is the fuel pump for some reason. Remember engines are tight when they're new and it takes hours of operation for them to loosen up.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Mine is a '14 with 7500ish miles and like Cecil says the clutch rattles and 3rd and 6th whine. Also, mine "squeals" (reminds me of an unhappy bearing) on initial start especially on cold days. Sounds from behind top half of clutch basket area, right side of engine. Fades away as engine warms up. Not loud enough to hear while riding. It's just noticeable, not getting any worse, so eh, ride on.
Yes, drive chain probably too tight if you haven't adjusted it since purchasing bike. Mine was. Sounds like they come from factory that way and dealers normally don't touch that during prep.
Enjoy!

·
Registered
164 Posts
So no ideas about the clunk sound when rolling in first gear and revving the engine with the clutch in and another clunk when letting off the throttle with the clutch in? This is what worries me lol

·
Registered
239 Posts
How much slack is in your clutch lever? Too much slack allowing the clutch to make contact? The only thing that I'd think would make a clunk sound is something in the drive system which would need the clutch to be engaged. A video like Bobby mentioned would be helpful. A free turning engine wouldn't make a clunk sound like you're describing. If it were engine it would be a consistent noise. My bet is (if there is an issue) it's the clutch is making contact despite having the clutch lever depressed. Could be the caliper as mentioned above also. Typical for motorcycle brakes to make a clack sound when first engaged. If you're that worried about have it documented by the dealer and go have fun riding. Should anything fail you had a prior documented case to refer to should it occur outside warranty.
Motorcycles make all kinds of noises the rider can hear since everything is exposed and between your legs lol Valve noise, transmission, drive chain, brakes, air intake, etc. all stuff you typically don't hear in a car.

·
Registered
233 Posts
GLad to hear all of this is normal, I was a little worried myself, but mine is leaking oil so I do have a real problem.... Yay oil leak with 400 miles on it. (Going to the dealer on Saturday morning)

Mine definitely whines (quite annoying) on a cold start every time, but calms down once the bike is warm... My clutch also has this "clunking" sound when I am in neutral with the clutch disengaged.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I'll have to take a picture... I'm not sure exactly where it's coming from but there is oil on the bottom of the Bike. Overnight there will be an oil spot about the size of the bottom of a solo cup. And yes it is definitely oil not gas.

Edit: going out to the parking lot to take a picture

·
Registered
673 Posts
I'll have to take a picture... I'm not sure exactly where it's coming from but there is oil on the bottom of the Bike. Overnight there will be an oil spot about the size of the bottom of a solo cup. And yes it is definitely oil not gas.

Edit: going out to the parking lot to take a picture
I'd start with the simple stuff- make sure there's a crush washer on the oil drain plug, torqued correctly (31 ft-lbs). Also check the oil filter torque (12 ft-lbs).

If you change the oil yourself, did you pour a few drops over the oil filter o-ring to lubricate it before installing it?

·
Registered
233 Posts
I'd start with the simple stuff- make sure there's a crush washer on the oil drain plug, torqued correctly (31 ft-lbs). Also check the oil filter torque (12 ft-lbs).

If you change the oil yourself, did you pour a few drops over the oil filter o-ring to lubricate it before installing it?
I haven't even changed the oil yet... I just hit 400 miles. I was going to do it Saturday, but once I saw the oil I decided to just go ahead and get my 600 mile service done and let them fix it considering it is a brand new bike...

All of my tools are in Atlanta unfortunately, I moved from a house in Atlanta to a small apartment in Denver. I am looking for another house, but it's going to be a little while it looks like.

·
Registered
673 Posts
I haven't even changed the oil yet... I just hit 400 miles. I was going to do it Saturday, but once I saw the oil I decided to just go ahead and get my 600 mile service done and let them fix it considering it is a brand new bike...

All of my tools are in Atlanta unfortunately, I moved from a house in Atlanta to a small apartment in Denver. I am looking for another house, but it's going to be a little while it looks like.
A pinched gasket during assembly is a possibility. Most shops perform a pre-sale inspection and that should have been seen, but it happens. Hope it's something less serious though.

·
Registered
387 Posts
So no ideas about the clunk sound when rolling in first gear and revving the engine with the clutch in and another clunk when letting off the throttle with the clutch in? This is what worries me lol
I get this as well. I think it is just some drag in the system. Much like if you have ever put the bike on a rear stand, even in neutral the rear wheel will sometimes spin. Make sure you have correct free play in your clutch lever as well, but I get it as well. Most bikes I've owed have done it to some degree. And sometimes they dont.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts