Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went camping this weekend and took the bike. The ride out was totally uneventful and awesome! I got to the site, parked the bike, set up camp and had a great time.

The next morning, the bike would not start! Cranked it 3 or 4 times, just turned over and over and over, but would not fire. I finally turned the ignition off, waited a couple seconds, turned it back on, waiting till the fuel system stopped charging (whatever that noise is), and then tried cranking it again. The bike fired up. The only issue is the check engine light is now on.

I really had no choice but to ride the 130 miles back home with it like that, so I checked all the fluid levels (they were perfect), I checked the electrical under the seat (as best I could) as I had been using a cigarette lighter adapter pluged into the SAE battery tender cable. Everything looked perfect and the bike ran perfect the entire way home.

My only thought is that I had parked the bike on an incline (pointed uphill) overnight. I searched the forums (and internet), but really couldn't find anything other than some people with the CA catch box getting vapor locked. I'm in TX, so I don't think that was my issue and I didn't read where anyone had a CEL afterwards.

I'll be calling the dealer tomorrow when they open (they're closed Sun and Mon) and setting up a time to get it in. But, I thought I'd ask if anyone had any ideas (XSR or otherwise).

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
if the xsr had a diagnosis mode, this would be easy, but instead you have to pay a stealer to hook up their tool
so you are sol
Ya, I read that thread. Good thing it's a new bike. Shouldn't have to pay a thing. All I did was park it and try to start it up the next day.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Ouch, I've been there for the last few weeks with this bike. I urge you to follow up with Yamaha Headquarters in CA to file a complaint like I did. This is unacceptable IMO. The check engine light can come on for something as simple as putting the kick stand down while in gear too many times. Having no way to clear that or even know what it is, is in a sense a safety issue. Running the risk of driving a motorcycle with a mechanical error for 20+ miles just to get the check engine light code read could cause more damage to the bike.

Also I find it extremely interesting that we have essentially the exact same problem. I drove my bike to a restaurant, went in ate, came back out & the bike wouldn't start. The bike was about 150 degrees so it wasn't cold and it was an 80 degree sunny day outside. Multiple attempts to turn over the engine turned on the check engine light with a "stall error". Please post back your findings after going to the dealership.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Keep us informed of what you find

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ouch, I've been there for the last few weeks with this bike. I urge you to follow up with Yamaha Headquarters in CA to file a complaint like I did. This is unacceptable IMO. The check engine light can come on for something as simple as putting the kick stand down while in gear too many times. Having no way to clear that or even know what it is, is in a sense a safety issue. Running the risk of driving a motorcycle with a mechanical error for 20+ miles just to get the check engine light code read could cause more damage to the bike.

Also I find it extremely interesting that we have essentially the exact same problem. I drove my bike to a restaurant, went in ate, came back out & the bike wouldn't start. The bike was about 150 degrees so it wasn't cold and it was an 80 degree sunny day outside. Multiple attempts to turn over the engine turned on the check engine light with a "stall error". Please post back your findings after going to the dealership.
Definitely will let y'all know what they find.

I wonder if it's something that simple/stupid. I don't know how many times I've accidentally tried to start this bike while in gear with the kickstand down. I never did that with my FJ-09.

·
Registered
25 Posts
The engine light came on for me, because I put the kick stand down while in gear. I'm told there's no way to clear the alert except to take it to the dealer.

Now, a service guy at the dealer told me that there's no real engine problem if the light _doesn't_ flash. There's only an engine issue when the light flashes. Don't know if it's true. Anyone hear that too?

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
It was probably nothing more than battery voltage error due to cranking too long.

Is damned annoying that it can't be read or cleared without the dealer tool!

·
Registered
290 Posts
I picked up my new bike on Saturday, got 1k down the road, engine light. I parked straight up and after a quick read of the manual decided to call the dealer who promptly picked me up. Turned out to be faulty connection on the ABS sensor on the front wheel. Sensor cleaned, reinstalled and no problems since. Hopefully just a blip.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I picked up my new bike on Saturday, got 1k down the road, engine light. I parked straight up and after a quick read of the manual decided to call the dealer who promptly picked me up. Turned out to be faulty connection on the ABS sensor on the front wheel. Sensor cleaned, reinstalled and no problems since. Hopefully just a blip.
Not good after less than a mile!! :(

Just a thought but wouldn't it be the ABS warning light that would have come on with the faulty ABS sensor, rather than the check-engine?

V.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Welp, talked to the dealer this morning. Soonest I can get it in is Sat morning. Kinda bummed about that, but, the weather is crappy here all week, so it's not the end of the world. Hopefully the weather is good enough for me to ride it in Sat. Heck, I might just ride it there in the rain... I'm not made of sugar or anything. :)

·
Registered
290 Posts
Not good after less than a mile!! :(

Just a thought but wouldn't it be the ABS warning light that would have come on with the faulty ABS sensor, rather than the check-engine?

V.
It would and did. However the ABS light is on by default until you get moving above a certain speed, then it turns off. So I wasn't quite sure whether it was a problem when it didn't turn off immediately, when the engine light came on I pulled over pronto. Not sure how it works but somehow the ABS problem triggered the engine light as well. They hooked her up to a laptop, fiddled with the sensor, quick test ride then sent me on my way.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Again, I totally urge anyone else on here to share the same concern directly with Yamaha the same way that I did. This is a bad product decision by Yamaha. In my call I basically pointed out how this is a risk to the consumer as they can't tell what is wrong with the bike. I got a faint but very real agreement from the rep who said they will take the details to the product team to determine next steps. That could either be total BS or it could be real. For a company like Yamaha, I would hope they would value customer feedback on things that do upset buyers and owners. No reader purchasable + No onboard = No Good.

Yamaha Motor Corporation, USA
6555 Katella Avenue
Cypress, CA 90630

Customer Relations
(800) 962-7926

·
Registered
98 Posts
I have never had on board diagnostics in a bike. My preference would be for the systems to be robust enough that the light does not come on for incidentals

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
I agree 100% the system should be robust enough to properly handle issues. It should also have a way to reset it without the dealer getting involved. From a software developer's perspective, this code or very similar code was present in the previous iterations of the bike with the same engine. The FZ09 2013-2015 all had steps in the owners manual that explained how to access the local diagnostics. I am willing to bet they didn't re-invent the entire diagnostic system in 2016. To add more background, these forensics have been available to the consumer on quite a few Yamaha bikes, a simple search of Yamaha Check Engine light on youtube will show multiple platforms that all have similar button sequences to retrieve diagnostic logging.

Most importantly, it is 2016 - there is no excuse for a company to not make forensics available to the consumer. We have a digital tachometer that can very easily display diagnostic information that is currently stored in the ECU. I'm not cutting Yamaha any slack on this one.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
I'm pretty certain some lawyer must have gotten involved, and concluded that customers doing their own diagnostic checks wasn't such a good idea. Which may or may not be a valid point.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
The FZ09 2013-2015 all had steps in the owners manual that explained how to access the local diagnostics.
the 09's owner's manual mentions the self-diagnosis function in passing, but simply says to bring the bike to the dealer for further troubleshooting. only the service manual details how to get into diagnostics mode.

so i'd suggest those of you with error codes on xsr's to take it to your dealer and ask to see the service manual - that will have definitive information on diagnostics. it helps to have a good relationship with your dealer in a situation like this.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I went to the dealer yesterday and got it looked at. They cleared the light and told me it was a problem with the speed sensor. That was the only fault/code the bike had. They said it's something they've seen a number of. They even had one bike right out of the crate with the issue.

At first he said something about the "ABS sensor" then corrected himself when I mentioned the ABS light didn't come on. He explained it had to do with the speed sensor and the ring on the front wheel. I don't know a lot about motorcycles and ABS, but I think that ring (and a speed sensor) has something to do with ABS and determining if the wheel has locked up. This reminds me of the issues a number of FJ-09 owners had (including myself). Basically a miss-aligned / miss-installed sensor having to do with the ABS. It's just odd it didn't arise till I had over 1500 miles on the bike.

Anyways, that's what the issue was and they said if it happens again they'll replace the sensor.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Man, I don't know about this bike already, from reading these posts.
Darn. I really hate these kinds of problems.
I really do, more than any damn thing. This kind of crap should not be happening.

Especially on a Jap bike. NO WAY.
These are Harley problems, not Yamaha problems (typically).

The XSR is made in Japan, right?

1 - 20 of 105 Posts