Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I recently bought an xsr900 and absolutely thrilled. One question I have been asked by mates is how many miles I can put on this motor before I must start considering redoing valve seats, cylinders head etc. Some bikes have a lifespan of only 40k but this motor also goes into the tracer which is the long distance cruiser. I know its not an exact science but anybody have experience with long term usage. I plan to have this bike for many years until its death or mine.

Thanks

·
Registered
5,645 Posts
It all depends on the initial treatment by the first owner (if not you). But regardless, it should be good for more than 40K. Follow the service schedule, use good synth oil, and you 'll be fine.

Reactions: scotts09

·
Registered
399 Posts
I’m at 36,000 km and bike runs perfect no issues . I had the valves checked last year at 32,000 km for peace of mind and they were smack in the middle of tolerance . I would say not to worry you got lots of time left

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
There's 153,000 kms on mine and it's running great!

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
366 Posts
if you take care of your bikes they will take care of you

·
Registered
29 Posts
Yamaha will warranty the engine to 100k if you use their oil...
I recall seeing that, and the verbiage was that they would warranty the engine on oil related failures, for 100k miles.

Anyways, glad to hear that people are stacking miles on these things, ive got just over 1400 miles on the clock on mine sounds like ive got a long way to go!

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have two 2018 MT09's and a 2018 SXR900 for me and my son all bikes are flashed, exhaust, [email protected] air filter, Auto tuner and quick shifter they are all between 2,500 to 4,000 miles each. One MT09 had a bad ecu during brake in, it was replaced no issues since the other 2 no issues. Changed oil at 500 miles and change oil every 1000 to 1500 miles [email protected] oil filter every second change with 10/40 Amsoil. Getting ready to sync my 3 bikes engines and check and change the plugs that's another thing I love about the MT09 it is so easy to work on. I don't get over 8,000/9000 rpms when I get on it and have had no problems, I do my chains every 500 miles or after rain and flush my clutch cables every 1000 miles check my bolts torc every 2,500/3000 miles and little by little am cleaning my connections and using silicone dielectric grease to keep moisture out. Flush my radiator every year and run Honda Blue, it seams like over kill but It is very very hot and humid were I am. The bikes all run great and I know when I hit the seat of any of my bikes I know I'm in for a great ride and can push it to the limit. Running Mitch CT2 tires check presure before every ride I like to ride it easy till I fully warm up the engine and tires before really getting on it. 60 percent of my roads are insane twisties and I love push them hard. Take care of the MT09 tripple don't beat the hell out of it red lining it all day like I see a lot of people on line do and l see no reason not to get 100,000 miles min and getting all of your moneys worth of fun riding at a great price.

·
Registered
5,645 Posts
Change the oil every 1500 miles? Your supplier must love you. I used to do it every 6000 km's, even 10,000 is fine with quality synth. Now that my mileage is less I do it every year

1 - 14 of 14 Posts