Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I installed OES frame sliders last month and both on the left side plus the front one on the right side installed without a problem. The rear one on the right side didn't give me trouble but it took a lot of turning to get it torqued down to 30 lb ft. It didn't take any more effort than the others so I know my wrench isn't messed up and I didn't cross thread it. Then the other day I remove the slider to see why it might be different, and the right rear frame hole that the bolt goes through is wider than the other 3 and is threaded.

I don't know why it would be like this since the engine mount bolt just goes through the frame and into the engine case like the other 3 do, and the other 3 have smooth holes in the frame. I discovered that what caused that bolt to take longer to torque down was that the washer between the frame and the slider was getting crushed down into the wide frame hole by the narrow slider. After the washer bent some the bolt torqued down. Nothing is damaged so I'm not worried but did anybody else notice something similar with their frame? I wish I had a picture but I'll post one later tonight after work.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oh and the stock bolts are flat against the frame so they crush the washer flat. But the end of the frame slider and bushing is rounded so it crushes the washer unevenly. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
i don't have the oes sliders, but the reason why that frame mount hole is larger than the others is because there's a threaded spacer in it ('8' in the diagram). when the engine is installed, that spacer is torqued against the engine mount boss to take up the gap, and then the engine bolts are torqued in a specific sequence.

it sounds like you're saying that the washer they included that goes between the slider and frame should be a little bigger for that particular hole. can you use the stock washer instead?

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I see what you're saying. I tried a larger washer (larger than stock) that I found in the garage and it still bent down into the larger threaded hole. Then I tried two washers of different sizes. Still the same thing happened. I'm not going to worry about it much more. The slider is still torqued down properly. Thank you for the picture and explanation!

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Not to hijack this guys thread...but this is what happens with cheapo frame sliders. Good frame sliders are a TWO piece system. The part that grounds off in a crash is completely separate from the big bolt that holds the engine in the frame.

In the two piece design like the RIZOMA .... the slider part will grind all the way off without ever affecting the bolt that holds the engine. In the one piece cheapo sliders....the slider grinds sideways against the frame until the bolt holding the engine either bends or just breaks off. Not good.....just so all the members here know.

·
Registered
320 Posts
CD, you once again don't even read the OP. Can you tell me how this problem is a result from the price being too low? Rizoma doesn't even make a slider for the right rear engine bolt like OES, which is where the issue lies with the OES set. The problem the OP is having has nothing to do with your "solution"

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Not to hijack this guys thread...but this is what happens with cheapo frame sliders. Good frame sliders are a TWO piece system. The part that grounds off in a crash is completely separate from the big bolt that holds the engine in the frame.

In the two piece design like the RIZOMA .... the slider part will grind all the way off without ever affecting the bolt that holds the engine. In the one piece cheapo sliders....the slider grinds sideways against the frame until the bolt holding the engine either bends or just breaks off. Not good.....just so all the members here know.
I don't know if you misunderstood the thread. The bent washer had nothing to do with me crashing (in fact I haven't crashed). The kit just needs a different sized washer to compensate for the larger bolt hole. But thank you for your concern...

Reactions: sparker

·
Registered
320 Posts
On topic- I am looking at the full OES kit and I am wondering if a trip to a hardware store for a grade 8 washer would be worth the effort...

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
CD, you once again don't even read the OP. Can you tell me how this problem is a result from the price being too low? Rizoma doesn't even make a slider for the right rear engine bolt like OES, which is where the issue lies with the OES set. The problem the OP is having has nothing to do with your "solution"
My reply is to warn folks that frame sliders need to be designed correctly. The cheap ones are not.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
On topic- I am looking at the full OES kit and I am wondering if a trip to a hardware store for a grade 8 washer would be worth the effort...
Yea maybe! I might try the same thing. Is grade 8 harder do that it doesn't bend like lower grade ones?

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My reply is to warn folks that frame sliders need to be designed correctly. The cheap ones are not.
These ones are designed fine. The problem with 1 out of 8 parts I installed seems to be a small oversight in design. Maybe I could help OES address the issue and make it a better product than it already is

·
Registered
464 Posts
They are designed correctly, what's going to stop the bolt from breaking on your "two piece slider" when your bike is sliding down the road and clips a curb, pothole or another defect in the road that isn't flat? Just because it's two pieces doesn't mean it's better. They make it that way so you pay more upfront but pay less after you fall and need to replace just the top half instead of a new one. I think my oes sliders are fine and all the other sliders I've had on other bikes. But don't listen to me, my r&g sliders that had a metal base on my last bike were so much better because they cost over 200$ just for frame sliders. Glad I got fork sliders, rear spools and frame sliders for a lot cheaper than that.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
I didn't run into this issue when installing mine but now I'm curious why. Might have to pull it off and take a look.

BTW, OES is trusted by many racers, so take CD's advice for what it's worth.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Yea maybe! I might try the same thing. Is grade 8 harder do that it doesn't bend like lower grade ones?
It is stronger, but not sure how. They take all things into account when designating strength grades, tensile(lengthwise), sheer,(sideways) and malleability(bendiness).

·
Registered
852 Posts
I didn't run into this issue when installing mine but now I'm curious why. Might have to pull it off and take a look.

Couldn't agree more. I don't remember having any issues with OES. I installed the full kit from them. I'd be happy to dig in on mine to see, but i don't remember having any issues with the supplied washers not nesting nicely in the recesses. Let me know if I can help.

In contradiction to CD599 see post #17 on this thread http://www.fz09.org/forum/6-fz-09-general-discussion/4042-yeeaaa-i-low-sided-my-sexy-9er.html

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Yea let me know. It's the only one of the whole kit that I put on that did this. I did notice that the bushing inside the slider itself moved towards the frame while being torqued down, which pushed the washer in. Maybe I'll message OES and request a new one and see what happens. Thanks everyone for the help!

Reactions: Lateralus

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
I had OES sliders (not on an FZ) and found them to be excellent quality. The offered several exterior designs, their design include an interior metal washer/sleeve, and for my application it came with an entire bolt which replaced to original engine/frame bolt. Slider are not complicated...the real key to success is for the slider to have an internal metal sleeve, so that the slider does not "break" during a crash event and that metal to metal contact is maintained while installed on the bike. I know of other people who have tested OES slider products (not on purpose) and they worked as needed. In addition, I contacted OES a few years ago concerning a product suggestion, and I was impressed as to how quickly they responded with their analysis and decision. I plan on purchasing OES in the future for any other bikes I may have.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts