Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Apologies if I'm not posting in the correct area-

I ordered a set of T-Rex frame sliders and I'm impressed with the machining and quality of the sliders themselves. What I'm not impressed with is the instructions and the mounting hardware. The left frame slider installed with zero issues. The longer bolt on the right frame slider is either faulty or has the wrong thread pitch. I was attempting to torque it to 33ft-lbs, and I heard a snap. I unscrewed it to find that it stripped a few of my threads..

I re-installed the stock bolt and it threaded and torqued to 33ft-lbs.. Man, was I relieved.. So in comparing all the bolts, the threads on that particular bolt are thinner than the others.

I emailed pictures, left a voice-mail, and a day later, emailed them on eBay. Freddy finally got back to me and said that he recommends torquing it to 15-20ft-lbs, even though their instructions state 40-45ft-lbs. Getting a little fed up, I asked if he even looked at the pictures and advised him that it stripped my aluminum threads, and would no longer thread... Advised him to replace the bolt w/ the proper one or I'd request a return/refund.

So he's offering to ship me the right one, but wants to know what bolt size/pitch I need. Anybody have any info on what pitch those bolts need to be?

slider-bolts_zpsnzunhjqe.jpg

slider-bolts1_zpstpdtk2jo.jpg

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
In the beginning... There were a lot of problems that I worked with TRex on... One issue they had was sending bolts with the wrong pitch. It looks like perhaps that was not rectified completely...

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Both of the front bolts should be 10m x 70 1.25 pitch. The bolts are measured below the head to the top.
Cool, the bolts in the front are identical with the rears, length as well. Needed to know the pitch so they could send me the right one.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
In the beginning... There were a lot of problems that I worked with TRex on... One issue they had was sending bolts with the wrong pitch. It looks like perhaps that was not rectified completely...
Sadly, they were so close I didn't notice at first glance. At to strip some precious aluminum threads to find out. It was until I really gave them a side by side comparison that I noticed. Hell, I didn't even think you could strip a thread using wrong pitch, guess I always assumed you wouldn't be able to thread the bolt at all.

·
Registered
654 Posts
if you want to be sure take your stock bolt to ace hardware, in the nuts and bolts isle they have a tool you can check diameter and thread pitch with

Reactions: GhengisT

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Hell, I didn't even think you could strip a thread using wrong pitch, guess I always assumed you wouldn't be able to thread the bolt at all.
it warns you by giving a good amount of resistance, but if you keep forcing it - bolt is steel, the threads on the engine are aluminum, steel wins. were you using a big torque wrench?

at least no serious damage was done. you can always check thread pitch with a metric ruler - line up the bolt with the mm markings, if the teeth match up perfectly, it's 1mm thread pitch. 1.25mm thread pitch will be 5mm for 4 teeth. 1.5mm, 3mm for 2 teeth.

i always double check thread pitch and bolt length before installation. length is important if the bolt is going into a blind hole (e.g. installing engine case cover guards). i've seen enough screwups by aftermarket companies (sometimes even oem's) over the years not to take a few minutes to do the verification.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Not to jack the thread, but Trex sliders where what save my bike when I went down, I would get another set just so the looks won't be all messed up cuz one side is worn , I can't be any happier image.jpg image.jpg

Reactions: GhengisT

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
it warns you by giving a good amount of resistance, but if you keep forcing it - bolt is steel, the threads on the engine are aluminum, steel wins. were you using a big torque wrench?
It was a 3/8" torque wrench, but definitely has some leverage to it. I had torqued the previous 3 bolts as this was my last one. Just didn't feel that breaking point, guess leverage has that effect. Curious, have you ever had to re-thread an engine mount on a bike? Is it just tap and die the next size up?

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Not to jack the thread, but Trex sliders where what save my bike when I went down, I would get another set just so the looks won't be all messed up cuz one side is worn , I can't be any happier View attachment 14065 View attachment 14065
You can replace just the slider pucks. Probably $40-$50/each. There are three allen screws holding them in on the back of the bracket. They're pretty beefy and the machining work on the bracket is quite nice. They splashed the polished metal into my bracket, on each side of the slider. Will upload pics when I get them installed. Their customer service guy Freddy is sending me the correct bolt w/ proper pitch.

·
Registered
192 Posts
You can replace just the slider pucks. Probably $40-$50/each. There are three allen screws holding them in on the back of the bracket. They're pretty beefy and the machining work on the bracket is quite nice. They splashed the polished metal into my bracket, on each side of the slider. Will upload pics when I get them installed. Their customer service guy Freddy is sending me the correct bolt w/ proper pitch.
I didn't know that I can replace one side of the side pucks , I "ass"u me you have to buy them in pairs. I'll email Freddy and cross my fingers hopefully I can just buy one side

1 - 11 of 11 Posts