Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My FZ-09 has about 1500 miles and about 150 miles ago the engine started cutting off. I know I'm not stalling it because the clutch is always disengaged. It mostly happens when I brake hard or come to a stop. I think it happens more frequently when the turn signals are on when I'm at a light. One time it cut off when I braked really hard from around 80 down to 30 or 40, I had the clutch disengaged when it happened that time too.

Does anyone have any thoughts of what it could be? Thanks!

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have had it happen to me 2-3 times. Same type situations. It hasn't done it for 300-400 miles or so. Do not know why and it was always going from 2nd to 1st coming to a stop. I just make sure to always give a good blip of the throttle when down shifting. I'm sure an ecu reflash would make things better.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I have had it happen to me 2-3 times. Same type situations. It hasn't done it for 300-400 miles or so. Do not know why and it was always going from 2nd to 1st coming to a stop. I just make sure to always give a good blip of the throttle when down shifting. I'm sure an ecu reflash would make things better.
Agreed with everything gbarney said.

·
Registered
237 Posts
A fairly common intermittent stalling problem on the '86 SRX600 was due to the side stand switch not making good contact, although that was usually after a few years so I would think it an unlikely culprit so early in the bike's life. But, history does have a way of repeating itself. On the SRX the fix was to disconnect the connector to the switch and jumper the two connectors. Of course you lose the fumctionality of the switch, which in the FZ's case prevents you from riding away with the sidestand down so you need to weigh the possible consequences if you follow that route. Good luck.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Mine would do that in A mode so i started running her a bit harder in A mode and the problem went away.
I can't say it was one specific mode it happened in (although I believe both times I was in STD)... but I have noticed that as I've put more miles on the bike and started to run it harder, it has not happened *knock on wood*. If it does happen again I'll try to post up the conditions in which it occured but I'm hoping it was just an odd thing during break in that is no longer an issue. I rode a hard 100 miles yesterday and it did not happen.

Reactions: BLUESHOES

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks. It was the battery cable. The screw was a little loose, so hard braking caused the cable to disengage with the terminal. All better now and riding fast :)

·
Registered
416 Posts
I had this happen to me for the first time yesterday. Just hit 800ish miles. I was leaving the gas station and was going from 1st to 2nd and she died. wtf!

·
Registered
216 Posts
Mine died 3 times in one day at about 200 miles on the clock. All three times it was low speed braking at traffic signals. It time it fired right up and it hasn't done it since. Battery cables are good. Dunno, hope it stays away.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts