Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, as some of you may know, I dropped my bike off a paddock stand and it has a tiny bit of rash on the stator cover. Any body know a good high temp paint that is a close match?

·
Registered
659 Posts
Here is a little write-up I did on the FZ6 site; The paint color on the frame and engine of the FZ-09 are Identical to that of the FZ6 (Very common color in Yamaha land!). The color is not 100% exact as the "depth" is slightly different. Hardly noticeable at any distance over 1ft though.

So I came across a damaged stator cover from my old 07+ when I was cleaning the garage the other day and was wondering if I could fix it. I replaced it at the time because a can of true color-match paint is nearly $50 with shipping.

Long story short; Off to Advance Auto i went. The first can I picked up was as close as I think you can get without paying the big bucks. Thought I would share: please see the photos below.

Paint: VHT Engine Metallic
Color: SP405, Black Pearl
Link: VHT Engine Metallic

Another repair:

Repair #2:

Had another few scratches on the stator cover on the part out bike. This time I baked the part to decrease the cure time and likely the increase the durability as compared to the 7-Day air cure (Can recommends 200°F for 1-Hour)

Before: (Some sanding done already)

Cooking ;)

After:

Not 100% perfect but 100% better than it was before. Also, The paint is rock solid after the heat cure; very impressed so far.
Repair #3:

A quick Update:

Wanted to show a before and after while installed on the bike. Again, not a absolute perfect match but it is close enough that you will not notice in most cases.

Before:

After:

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Awesome reply and write up. I just grabbed the same color and will use it tonight or this weekend. Thank you for your help.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Any idea on the grit of paper you used?

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just got off work and bought some of the VHT spray. Just wanted to see how it matches and it is indeed pretty close. Tomorrow AM I am waking up early to grab sand paper and do it right. I think it will look great...

Reactions: xHD

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
After a little prep and 4 coats.

·
Banned
739 Posts
Kick ass, VHT SP405 is indeed the case paint. Big thanks to you guys in this thread. Just fixed up my case after a squidly tip over. Looks excellent. :) I also used this youboob video of this old guy patching up his SV.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Scratched left side of engine - 2014 FZ-09

First week of owning my fz-09 I dropped it in front of the gym while a bunch of nice girls were walking out :)
Great fun!
I can bend the clutch lever back but I have to repaint a nice scratch on the left side of the engine.
Since I'm not setup to spray paint I found a kit on colorrite for the exact color, which is the same for the engine and the frame. I'm choosing the aereosol kit which has primer, base, touch up can and all I need. Between the rubbing compound and wet paper I should get close to a spray job.
Yamaha 0582 Mat Black #2 (MBL2)
If you don't hear back from me it means I worked great.

·
Registered
142 Posts
First week of owning my fz-09 I dropped it in front of the gym while a bunch of nice girls were walking out :)
Great fun!
I can bend the clutch lever back but I have to repaint a nice scratch on the left side of the engine.
Since I'm not setup to spray paint I found a kit on colorrite for the exact color, which is the same for the engine and the frame. I'm choosing the aereosol kit which has primer, base, touch up can and all I need. Between the rubbing compound and wet paper I should get close to a spray job.
Yamaha 0582 Mat Black #2 (MBL2)

If you don't hear back from me it means I worked great.
I just dropped my FZ-09 6 days after buying it. :mad:
I was making a right hand turn out of parking lot and there was a decline coming out of the parking lot and the road had a incline. I guess I was too busy checking out the cute girl standing at the ATM and didnt have enough momentum, causing the bike to go down on the right side.
oh well, s*ht happens.

since it was on the right side, both the cover with the YAMAHA stamping and the Cover with the "CP3" stamping got scraped.
Auto part Metal Helmet Personal protective equipment Silver

The case cover with the "CP3" seems to have a different hue. Id say its more of a pewter color. Do other people notice the color difference on their bikes or am I jsut color blind? will the VHT spray match this color as well?

The brake lever got bent pretty badly but its still rideable. I'm going to order some madhornets levers today. no damage to the tank or frame, THANK GOD!
oh and the worst part, I just ordered woodcraft frame sliders from Stoltec two days ago! :mad:

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Yes the CP3 cover is a different color than the rest of the engine.

My suggestion is to get a sharpie of the correct color.

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
I wish the CP3 color was the same as the rest, which means that if you scratch it, the cover would probably looker better with the VHT.

Paint: VHT Engine Metallic
Color: SP405, Black Pearl

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Auto part Vehicle Automotive exterior Car Muffler It recently snowed 2 feet deep. It has been cold and over the past couple
Of days it's been 60 degrees. I have my motorcycle stored under a carport. I went out today to find the ground had gave away and my motorcycle had fell on its side, the kickstand just gave way. It just scratched up the stator cover, the bike is pretty stout. Glad it came with handlebar ends. Found this thread and thought I'd share. Got the VHT black ceramic coating listed in this thread, and I used dupli-color ceramic engine enamel also as a base coat/primer because Orileys didn't have any primer. I also got a master pro refinishing wet dry sanding block P320. It's like a sandpaper sponge. I let the motor run to dry it.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Auto part Engine Automotive engine part Disc brake Vehicle I got all the little deep scratches out with the 320 sandpaper. I put a block underneath my kickstand. This is what it looks like after.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
I did get some 3M painters tape and had just the part I sanded showing, taped around the rest of the cover. But I removed the tape and real carefully sprayed the whole cover. If you get some overspray rubbing alcohol on a rag will remove it. I got some overspray on my vent hoses next to the cover, but the rubbing alcohol removed it, and if you get any on plastic, after it dries you can scratch it off with your fingernail.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
I left the bike running and the motor was hot and sprayed the bolts and other shiny stuff on the engine case without taping anything up. Follow the directions on the can and have something you can spray onto before spraying the bike so you know your if the paint isn't spraying right out of the can. Even thought it's tempting to spray the whole can at once, do light coats of paint and give it time to dry.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I left the bike running and the motor was hot and sprayed the bolts and other shiny stuff on the engine case without taping anything up. Follow the directions on the can and have something you can spray onto before spraying the bike so you know your if the paint isn't spraying right out of the can. Even thought it's tempting to spray the whole can at once, do light coats of paint and give it time to dry.
Thanks a lot. What about primer and clear coat ? Did you have to use them ?

I'm only concern that we see the division between the origninal paint and where the tape is going to be for the new paint.

But from what I've seen here it doesnt seems to show any lines

ohh, and did you paint the big allen screw in the middle or did you taped it ?

·
Registered
19 Posts
I'm in the process now.

Started sanding the case with 320 3M wetdry, then make sure everything was smooth with the 1000.

Shooted the frist two coat today, gonna wait till tomorow to wetsand and recoat.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts