Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

41 - 43 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
I like to think Yamaha knows more about this engine than me or my riding peers and as such I follow their break-in guidelines. I look at it as cheap insurance.

·
Registered
16 Posts
i did not mean it to be hurtful or personal and im sure if given no restraints everyone want to make it as bad ass and as reliable as possible

but as you said you are given parameters to work in, and trade offs are required.

sorry if i offended
No offense taken, it's all in good fun. I know you are a well respected tuner in the motocycle industry so I knew you would understand where I was coming from.

·
Registered
4,574 Posts
As a Director of Engineering this was hurtful to hear. The engineers tasked with developing the engine would absolutely be motivated to achieve peak performance within the allowable parameters they were given. That's the challenge! There are always constraints that require trade offs. One the biggest issues is always cost and how to keep the entire project within budget. How much should be allocated to each section, i.e. chassis, engine, brakes, controls, etc. Sorry, I just felt I needed to get that off my chest.

My break in procedure consisted of riding to and from work with varying speed side streets, brief highway stints, light and heavy traffic conditions. I would work through the gears when possible and occassionally brought the rpms up around 8k. I usually don't find myself needing to ride above 6k rpm unless accelerating when pulling out or trying reposition among cars for safety.
From the horses mouth. Thanks for chipping in.

41 - 43 of 43 Posts