Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
81 - 95 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #84 ·
I have never heard if this causing any issues, I am not sure why it would nor sure why this would change after the recall
Oh, I agree, I do not think the recall has any affect on this.

I'll explain:
I have had a vibration issue from the start, and recently tried changing the oil to Motul 7100, did a throttle body sync (it was a little off) and re-tightened the engine bolts to spec torque. I think each of these helped a tiny bit. But after reading up on throttle bodies, I wanted to see how much air was bypassing the throttle valves (butterfly something I think some people call them). This is when I noticed the bypass air screw with the white paint (the one you are not supposed to touch) was fully screwed in. This means air is coming in somewhere else, maybe (hopefully) the air valve doesn't shut completely.
Anyway, I unscrewed it half a turn and did a re-sync on the other two screws. After this I noted an improvement mostly when engine breaking, but also when going along at low speed or with the wind in the back. High load or accelleration is still very vibey.
I am going to test again and open the white screw a full turn, but right now I am so tired of this ** bike that I can't be bothered.

·
Vendor
1,893 Posts
Oh, I agree, I do not think the recall has any affect on this.

I'll explain:
I have had a vibration issue from the start, and recently tried changing the oil to Motul 7100, did a throttle body sync (it was a little off) and re-tightened the engine bolts to spec torque. I think each of these helped a tiny bit. But after reading up on throttle bodies, I wanted to see how much air was bypassing the throttle valves (butterfly something I think some people call them). This is when I noticed the bypass air screw with the white paint (the one you are not supposed to touch) was fully screwed in. This means air is coming in somewhere else, maybe (hopefully) the air valve doesn't shut completely.
Anyway, I unscrewed it half a turn and did a re-sync on the other two screws. After this I noted an improvement mostly when engine breaking, but also when going along at low speed or with the wind in the back. High load or accelleration is still very vibey.
I am going to test again and open the white screw a full turn, but right now I am so tired of this ** bike that I can't be bothered.
I dont know for sure but I think your heading down a rabbit hole that is not your solution

·
Registered
17 Posts
Just been out for a ride and after reading this thread thought I would take note of what happens when decelerating. I notice a miniscule change as the engine drops under 3k. But at such slow speeds I cannot believe this is a problem. Some on here have stated that it is bordered on dangerous. I have to question if riding a reasonably powered motorcycle is for you.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I don't think it's ignorant as that would imply that I do not know what I am talking about. I've ridden motorcycles for 43 years, raced for 20 including at the isle of man. I stand by my opinions it certainly is not a safety issue.

·
Vendor
1,893 Posts
I don't think it's ignorant as that would imply that I do not know what I am talking about. I've ridden motorcycles for 43 years, raced for 20 including at the isle of man. I stand by my opinions it certainly is not a safety issue.
What an ignorant remark.
can we please stay on topic and not ruin the thread

·
Registered
2021 MT-09
174 Posts
Get this - after "calling ahead" per their instructions, Pasadena Yamaha's service department was unable to effect the NHTSA-mandated ECU recall on my 2021!

Bullshit excuses included, incredibly, "the guy who had the laptop that we use for the recall sold the laptop and we didn't know" and, "so I downloaded the program from Yamaha but now we can't get it to register" and, "... and since the Yamaha East coast office is now closed, we can't get software support." (afternoon here in L.A.)

So, if I had not come down and wasted an afternoon, I would still have had to show up so they could realize they "sold the laptop" etc. ... what a joke.

Sorry I just got home and I am pissed off. Talk about customer service!

Edit: they were polite about it, it's a friendly bunch down there.

·
Registered
2021 MT-09
174 Posts
Unfortunately: the others are far away from where we live / this one is two miles away and is where I bought it for a premium profit to that dealer / it's hot AF here at the moment / LA traffic is brutal

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have not sent in my bike for the recall, but I do notice a very slight engine braking change, exactly at 3000 rpm, while decelerating.

If I had not read this thread before, I probably would not have noticed, it's that small. Also, I'm almost never at 3k, usually between 5k and 9k, except when coming to a stop.

When decelerating, above 3k rpm the engine braking is strong, as would be with the fuel cut off. Exactly at 3k rpm, only while decelerating, it feels like the fuel cuts back in and the bike lurches a wee bit. Again, almost not noticeable and very easy to control.

I do not plan on taking my bike in for the recall.

·
Registered
2021 MT-09
17 Posts
My 21 is stock without the recall, yesterday I wanted to see if I noticed this issue. I had to purposely slow way down to see if it would happen. It feels like a slight surge maybe, perhaps like it freewheels for a second. At some point I will take it in for recall, but not too concerned about it at the moment.

81 - 95 of 95 Posts