Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
61 - 80 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
This is actually very interesting, I didn't know the injectors were compelety off during decel above 3000 rpm. If the injector cut could be removed it would probably result in smoother throttle response when initiating throttle above 3000, given how much you can feel the injectors coming alive when hitting 3000 during decel. Come to think of it, mine does feel a bit jerky, more than the one I drove a few months ago.
Doesn't vcyclenut's tune remove the decel fuel cut?

·
Vendor
1,893 Posts
Doesn't vcyclenut's tune remove the decel fuel cut?

as Kevin and I are saying the decel cut is not functioning properly, even without it working the on/off throttle after my flash is pretty seamless. Decel cut gets the blame and credit for a lot of things that is really just the results of lean fueling and correcting it

This is actually very interesting, I didn't know the injectors were compelety off during decel above 3000 rpm. If the injector cut could be removed it would probably result in smoother throttle response when initiating throttle above 3000, given how much you can feel the injectors coming alive when hitting 3000 during decel. Come to think of it, mine does feel a bit jerky, more than the one I drove a few months ago.

there is no change in the way decel cut is working between the preflash image and post flash image

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 · (Edited)
as Kevin and I are saying the decel cut is not functioning properly, even without it working the on/off throttle after my flash is pretty seamless. Decel cut gets the blame and credit for a lot of things that is really just the results of lean fueling and correcting it.
Any news on disabling the injector cut? And can correcting the lean fueling by any chance reduce vibrations? I have some bad vibrations in hard accelerations from just under 5000rpm and above. I get a very distracting tickling sensation through the seat (which some maybe would argue is a good thing o_O)

·
Registered
2021 MT-09, 2017 STI
258 Posts
I was curious about this so I tried to see if I'd feel anything odd on the engine braking. I don't have my bike flashed with the recall fyi.

My takeaway is, I'm surprised anyone even noticed. I realized that when I ride I almost never rely on engine braking below 5000 rpm. Below that I'm practically coasting because engine braking is almost negligible.

I just don't find engine braking under 3000 rpm useful I guess?
Gonna follow up on my post after I had the recall flash done...

I find engine braking, while not significantly useful under 3000 rpm, is quite distracting to have it "turn off" almost completely. When coming to a stop I usually coast in gear with a very light touch on my brakes, and then brake a bit more once I need to be fully stopped. Now the rate at which my bike slows down while approaching a stop is very non linear and I need to apply more braking. I found it annoying as ****, but got used to it eventually.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Gonna follow up on my post after I had the recall flash done...

I find engine braking, while not significantly useful under 3000 rpm, is quite distracting to have it "turn off" almost completely. When coming to a stop I usually coast in gear with a very light touch on my brakes, and then brake a bit more once I need to be fully stopped. Now the rate at which my bike slows down while approaching a stop is very non linear and I need to apply more braking. I found it annoying as ****, but got used to it eventually.
Get your ECU Woolich flashed & request more engine braking below 3000rpm can be done.

·
Registered
2021 MT-09, 2017 STI
258 Posts
I'll probably just send it over to @vcyclenut at some point this summer... we've had back to back 100F days here and I don't see myself commuting on my bike for the next couple months. Weekend rides (out by 4 am and home by 10 am) is all for me probably.

·
Vendor
1,893 Posts
Any news on disabling the injector cut? And can correcting the lean fueling by any chance reduce vibrations? I have some bad vibrations in hard accelerations from just under 5000rpm and above. I get a very distracting tickling sensation through the seat (which some maybe would argue is a good thing o_O)

woolich has made some changes I need to test but currently my bike is exhaustless waiting on the spark exhaust

yes a bike that is on the lean side will vibrate more, fixing it smooths it out

·
Registered
Yamaha MT 09 SP 2021
250 Posts
I got the recall installed last week and rode the bike to get it to my mechanic for a retune. At 3000 rpm there is a really noticable engine kick when the injectors open.
The guy who tuned the bike tried to eliminate it, it did get better but it's still there. I could say that it's almost dangerous too.

·
Registered
MT-09SP 2021(FZ09 in Usa)
11 Posts
woolich has made some changes I need to test but currently my bike is exhaustless waiting on the spark exhaust

Why don't considering to come back to the 00 version of ECU and reflash? There's some technical issue to do it?

Inviato dal mio SM-A528B utilizzando Tapatalk

·
Registered
2022 MT-09 SP
55 Posts
I got the recall installed last week and rode the bike to get it to my mechanic for a retune. At 3000 rpm there is a really noticable engine kick when the injectors open.
The guy who tuned the bike tried to eliminate it, it did get better but it's still there. I could say that it's almost dangerous too.
Do you share my impression that it got worse after getting the new Yamaha tune installed? I agree it's a bit dangerous; at a minimum, it's an unsettling distraction, which is itself dangerous.

I never had a problem with the original tune and am now regretting getting the update.

·
Registered
Yamaha MT 09 SP 2021
250 Posts
Do you share my impression that it got worse after getting the new Yamaha tune installed? I agree it's a bit dangerous; at a minimum, it's an unsettling distraction, which is itself dangerous.

I never had a problem with the original tune and am now regretting getting the update.
Yes it did get worse with the new update.

Yeah I am skipping the update ...
Just don't.

Don't skip the update.There are safety issues at play here.If you notice what the update fixes you ll notice some serious things.
A friend with a 21' MT09SP fell on his own when he downshifted from 3rd to 2nd and the engine shut off.It's a problem that the update fixes.
He was going with about 70kmh.The bike smashed on a pavement and has about 7-8000 $ damage. He broke some ribs and other bones and after 6 months he still can't fully lift his arm.
He's propably going to talk to Yamaha with a laywer and file a lawsuit if they deny to compensate for the damages.
TLDR:do the update guys

·
Registered
2021 MT-09
174 Posts
Not sure that I agree or follow the logic Dante. I have not had issues. Folks who have had the recall flash report having new issues that they hadn't before.

I am guessing that Yamaha will eventually issue a second recall to fix it properly. I just don't see the urgency here. I guess there is a first time for everything and I suppose it could be an issue that I may encounter one day. If I get the recall flash as it is now, it sounds like for sure I will experience the same issues others have.

If engines are shutting off and people are getting hurt I am guessing Yamaha will be getting sued left and right ...

·
Registered
391 Posts
Not sure that I agree or follow the logic Dante. I have not had issues. Folks who have had the recall flash report having new issues that they hadn't before.
If engines are shutting off and people are getting hurt I am guessing Yamaha will be getting sued left and right ...
The recalls are basically to try to catch and fix a problem they identified that might potentially affect the bikes in question, before the problem actually happens. Not all bikes necessarily exhibit the problem (maybe it's just a handful that it might/could happen to), but they wanna cover their asses, because it's a safety issue and they don't want to get sued left and right.
Your bike might be running fine so far, but who knows, maybe the engine will cut out on your next ride - the recall is meant to prevent that.

So do the recall, or don't - they can't force you, but just be aware that any unrepaired recalls are associated with your VIN in the NHTSA database. So if in fact you do crash as a result of the engine cutting out and you try to sue Yamaha, they can say 'well, we issued a recall for this, but you never brought the bike in to have the fix done, so .... 🤷‍♂️'

·
Registered
Yamaha MT 09 SP 2021
250 Posts

I am guessing that Yamaha will eventually issue a second recall to fix it properly. I just don't see the urgency here. I guess there is a first time for everything and I suppose it could be an issue that I may encounter one day. If I get the recall flash as it is now, it sounds like for sure I will experience the same issues others have.

My friend didn't have any issues either. His bike just shut off.
If you feel ok taking that risk, that's fine by me.
I installed the update and payed to reflash the bike just to have my mind at ease.
Yamaha has a reason to send you and everyone else a letter about that.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #79 ·

Does the ECU automatically modify how much fuel each individual injector delivers? If so, what data or sensors does it base this on? The reason for the question is that if the air bypass at idle is very different per trottle body, this could maybe be a mechanical issue that triggers an electronic fueling problem. (This is maybe a bit off topic, but I think it could be of interest for those following this discussion.)

·
Vendor
1,893 Posts
Does the ECU automatically modify how much fuel each individual injector delivers? If so, what data or sensors does it base this on? The reason for the question is that if the air bypass at idle is very different per trottle body, this could maybe be a mechanical issue that triggers an electronic fueling problem. (This is maybe a bit off topic, but I think it could be of interest for those following this discussion.)

there are not individual sensors per cylinder.

air bypass? I am sorry I am not sure what you are referring to.

61 - 80 of 95 Posts